Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A little trim blackening (with photos this time)

Still have trouble uploading pictures but here goes once more.
Since there has been no riding the last month or so due to weather, I thought I would have a few pieces painted flat black.
I didn't dislike the silver before but I have seen some pictures on here of some year's models (09 green maybe?) with more black and thought it looks real nice.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Awesome! I've been thinking about doing the exact same thing to my exact same versys. Photoshopped it last night to play with colors, but matte black was always choice number one. So let me ask you this- What paint did you use? Did you scuff the plastics beforehand? How many coats? Cheers!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome! I've been thinking about doing the exact same thing to my exact same versys. Photoshopped it last night to play with colors, but matte black was always choice number one. So let me ask you this- What paint did you use? Did you scuff the plastics beforehand? How many coats? Cheers!
I actually took them in to a body shop to have it professionally done. I figured it would probavly be $30.00 or so for paint and I wasn't sure how good a job I could have done. They did it for $150.00 and he did say they had to be roughed up a bit by hand for the paint to adhere properly.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Krylon Plastic paint in a shaker can works great. I repainted my black plastic trim pieces and Givi hard bags with it after they accidentally got white porch stain over spray on them. They ended up looking better than new and it adheres very well.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm going to be the contrarian here. I thought I would be a fan, and I think it looks good... but I like the strong diagonal silver line that the swingarm establishes... I was thinking I would do the same treatment to my '08, and now I'm not so sure... just a matter of taste, and congrats on making the bike individually yours!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going to be the contrarian here. I thought I would be a fan, and I think it looks good... but I like the strong diagonal silver line that the swingarm establishes... I was thinking I would do the same treatment to my '08, and now I'm not so sure... just a matter of taste, and congrats on making the bike individually yours!
Exactly. That's why I think it is helpful to post stuff like this so that people who may be considering something can see before going to the trouble and expense.
Everyone does have different tastes which is a good thing.
Even my wife mentioned she liked the black changes and I wasn't even sure she knew I had a motorcycle.:joke:

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
Now add a black or c/f slip-on top top it off.:D

·
Registered
720 Posts
Thanks, i intend to do the same sometime in future. How about the plastics encircling the headlamp?

alternatively we can buy the oem black pieces and replace it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, i intend to do the same sometime in future. How about the plastics encircling the headlamp?

alternatively we can buy the oem black pieces and replace it.
I was really back and forth considering the headlight ring but in the end laziness won out and I didn't bother. I might do it later I'm not sure yet.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Even my wife mentioned she liked the black changes and I wasn't even sure she knew I had a motorcycle.:joke:
That's great! I wonder how I might find a wife like that - I'd be able to gather a good pile of toys! :D

Unfortunately, charming as she is, mine notices everything. :eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts