Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to go for a ride after a meeting yesterday in Florence.

How about the "Florence-Kelvin Hwy"? Close by, and I hadn't ridden it YET this season, so I suited-up, back onto BIG RED heading S followed by E onto the F-K.

Weather was sunny, warm - GREAT day for a ride!

That's the Ray Mine in the distance, and ALSO on the next few....:grin2:

Just past there I saw a dead rattle-snake in the road - looked like someone drove over it on purpose which is rather sad. They do good work keeping the number of small 'varmints' reduced. :confused:

Last season I saw where they - ADoT - were making a bridge over the river at the E end of the F-K, and now it's complete.

Looking S from the middle I saw a 'structure' on the E bank that I'd never seen before

as well as a R/R track.

From there I transitioned onto AZ 177, and N to Superior

w/ a 'lunch-break' at the Ray Mine Overlook (I normally stop there), but today the entrance was padlocked, so I sat on that tree-stump for lunch

and then continued to where I could AT LEAST view the open-pit copper operation thru barbed-wire

then N again.

Finished my pics off w/ this one of a saguaro that is slowly "returning to nature"

then back home for a beer, about 100 miles traveled.

NICE day, GOOD ride...!

:yeahsmile:

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Both this ride and your Apache Trail excursion looked fun. I have not done either of those since living here. Been through Tortilla Flats, but not these. Something I need to plan and ride. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Great trip Eddie. I rode the K-F highway from both ends (saw the new bridge) just to see how far the dirt gap would be. The Ray mine public view site has been closed the last 3 times I rode past it. I suspect they are mining or dumping on it and it will probably never reopen. Attached is a picture I took right by the big tire they have there the last time I was at the site of a 240 ton dump truck with the lens not zoomed, maybe a little, I don't remember. In other words they were closing in on the place. Had lunch at the Riverbottom Saloon/Grill today and thought of you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Eddie that big flat and smooth dirt road sure looks like fun. Can imagine drifting thru the corners, steering the bike with the throttle.

Wish Zona was closer, I would swing by and join you.

Great pic's as usual.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Thank you for sharing your ride..... nice to be able to do that in December :O
I had my last ride of the season a few days ago..
Enjoy for the rest of us too!

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Eddie that big flat and smooth dirt road sure looks like fun. Can imagine drifting thru the corners, steering the bike with the throttle.

Wish Zona was closer, I would swing by and join you.

Great pic's as usual.
Back when I raced enduros (Can Am 400 Qualifier) in Ontario and Quebec, living on a farm in E Ontario (on a dirt road), w/ a Yamaha XS750 for a road bike, I would OCCASIONALLY [:wink2:] broadslide it thru corners on the dirt-roads, both feet on the footpegs.... GREAT FUN!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts