Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone dared to try a knockoff import slip on muffler? Do you know anyone who has?
I've found listings for these mufflers on Ebay, they're about 1/4 the price. If they're comparable in quality, it might make sense. They're promising a "2-5 horsepower increase."

Good idea? Bad idea?
Any other knockoff parts floating around? Are they ever any good?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
The only one I ever saw was junk. Cheaply made, didn't fit and wasn't worth a penney IMHO.

I can't say they're all like that just the one I saw.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
just my thought
If you don't like the sound...do what makes it sound happy to you
Want to add 2-5 hp.....why bother??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm more concerned about sound than horsepower. But I'm not sure, maybe these knockoffs have a sound like a soup can full of angry bees.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would avoid the knock-offs. Why bother with them? This is your BABY we're talking about! I got a nice 2bros exhaust off someone on this forum, normally around $350, for only $100. Just keep your eye out for a good deal, don't waste your time with crap.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Lots of people have tried the Danmoto ones. Seems like if you realize you get what you pay for most people are happy. You aren't going to see any significant HP gain though. Do a search on here. I remember a decent thread about them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a Danmoto pipe with the additional difuser for about 3000km now, and really like the sound. It is loud, but has a very deep tone. It has good craftmanship, better than my Twobros carbon fibre cans I had on my TL100S. It mounted easily, can't say I notice any more power. I do wear earplugs, but I find the noise from the wind and the chain are the most obnoxious part of my ride, not the exhaust. My TL used to set off car alarms at my work underground, but my Versys has yet to set any off. It doesn't sound as good as my TL, but not much did. My wife doesn't mind it, thinks it's safer cause cars do actually hear us. Less than $200 Canadian to my door and has no flaws as of yet. Haven't tried it without the optional difuser, but it would be loud!
Dave

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have a Danmoto pipe with the additional difuser for about 3000km now, and really like the sound. It is loud, but has a very deep tone. It has good craftmanship, better than my Twobros carbon fibre cans I had on my TL100S. It mounted easily, can't say I notice any more power. I do wear earplugs, but I find the noise from the wind and the chain are the most obnoxious part of my ride, not the exhaust. My TL used to set off car alarms at my work underground, but my Versys has yet to set any off. It doesn't sound as good as my TL, but not much did. My wife doesn't mind it, thinks it's safer cause cars do actually hear us. Less than $200 Canadian to my door and has no flaws as of yet. Haven't tried it without the optional difuser, but it would be loud!
Dave

Is this the one you have? http://www.dan-moto.com/DM_US/er6-versys-650-ninja-650-2006-2011-conical-gp-product-412.html

Have any pictures of the pipe on your bike?

Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
No, the model I bought is the titanium GP (ER6 / Versys 650 / Ninja 650 2006-2011 Titanium GP, Model: EX-00141). I heard that the conical one is even louder. I'll take and post a pic later today.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here are two pics of the Danmoto pipe on my bike. It is about 2 pounds, stock pipe is over 11. Mounted fine, just don't force it into an angle it doesn't want to go. There is about 3/4 inch between the tire and the pipe. Not much, but enough. It sounds good, loud but not obnoxious. No issues after almost 3500km. I would buy it again. Checking the Danmoto website, looks like the price went up. I paid about $115, plus the diffuser $8, plus shipping $44. Had to pay Canadian duty but total was about $190 or so.
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
688 Posts
Here are two pics of the Danmoto pipe on my bike. It is about 2 pounds, stock pipe is over 11. Mounted fine, just don't force it into an angle it doesn't want to go. There is about 3/4 inch between the tire and the pipe. Not much, but enough. It sounds good, loud but not obnoxious. No issues after almost 3500km. I would buy it again. Checking the Danmoto website, looks like the price went up. I paid about $115, plus the diffuser $8, plus shipping $44. Had to pay Canadian duty but total was about $190 or so.
Dave

Thanks for taking the time to get some pictures. Looks like it's a straight forward, functional, and inexpensive option for putting a non-stock can on.

I checked out the prices and the conical SS one is $115, diffuser is $15, and 02 eliminator is $13. I'm in the states so shipping is free so a total of around $144.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The conical one is made out of stainless steel, the GP is titanium, perhaps the cost difference. Other thing with the titanium pipe is that you can always drill out the rivets at a later date and repack the muffler. The conical one, I don't think so. I had also heard (don't know for sure) that the conical one is louder than the GP, so any comments I made, may not be applicable to the conical pipe. May be worth the extra $38.
Dave

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a guy run by my house frequently on a Ninja 650 with a really loud pipe.
I has to be one of the worst sounding bikes.

He is usually with a Duc and an SV650, both of which sound sweet with loud pipes.

IMHO vertical twins, in most cases, don't sound good with loud pipes, especially at higher revs.

·
Super Moderator
19,160 Posts
...IMHO vertical twins, in most cases, don't sound good with loud pipes, especially at higher revs.
Shoulda heard my '62 Triumph fuel dragster...
...clutch-drop at 7,000 rpms and ran it to 10,000, on slow-taper Dunstall megaphones!

Loud...? Yes. Heard from spectators that it EASILY drowned out a Corvette 427 with open headers that I ran against once.
:clap:

·
Registered
190 Posts
:eek:Musta sounded like a constant barrage of 12ga. shotguns.

Wait a minute. Where is Mythbusters and their 12ga. Minimac?

No probably louder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts