Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok gang,I think most of us would agree that the stock seat on the V needs an upgrade..I have not been on forum long and might have missed some great talks about seats...but i would love to hear about and see what are the best V seats out there and why...I am looking at the russell at the moment...(day-long.com) it looks awesome,but pricy...I think some major thought should be put in the saddle if your gonna put in serious miles..ok..so lets hear it!! this otta be good!:feedback:..this is not about heated seats gang,just comfort...

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
The stock seats just fine; according to my 6'-2", 180lbs frame....even after nine hours of riding (less fuel stops).
Perhaps some might do better to address their need for a weight loss program...Better for there health and not nearly as expensive as a new saddle.
No offense.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Now I am not the kind of guy who puts in "serious miles" like you mention, but I do ride 100 miles to work (and then 100 miles from work) several days a week (and have 17000+ miles on my Versys). I have gotten very used to the stock seat over time. If I am not comfortable, I will stand up for some time while riding (if it is safe). For example, I would not do such a thing on an interstate, more likely right around here (in between Golden - not Colorado - and Madrid - not Spain)...

http://maps.google.com/maps/myplaces?ll=35.309242,-106.211357&spn=0.096377,0.209255&sll=35.318207,-106.206551&sspn=0.192733,0.41851&ctz=360&t=h&z=13

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Aw rats! I thought this was a discussion about heated seats, not a heated discussion about seats. :D

Ah well, back to my hot water bottle - :eek: - and my Corbin saddle which comfortably suits my scrawny "seat" (or can I say butt or ass on this forum?).

·
Registered
875 Posts
What type of oil do you use on your seat? Baby oil, cooking oil?:D

Having my seat altered by an upholsterer did help but it's certainly not a "day long" seat.

He now has "gel" but that'll cost another 150 or so, on top of the 140 already spent on the first mod. I'm not too anxious to drop another 150.00!:forgetit:

If you go all in on a new seat you have a high level of commitment,
if you drop 20 bucks on a gel pad from wally world and are not pleased, at least you didn't bet the farm.

Hard to know what will suffice for your tail until you've spent a few hours in the saddle. Opinions of others may help your decision but keep in mind, some have no problem with the stocker either.

What makes our butts happiest can only be answered by our own butt!:goodluck:

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
I have heated seats on my Voyager. They are really nice on those cool mornings.

I don't think the Versys has enough electrical power to power the heated grips, heated vest liner, and heated seats.

I get a little sore after 12 hours in the saddle, but I believe the Versys has one of the best stock seats I have ever had.

I might send mine to Spencer for the LD Supracor mod this winter. I hear it is the best value in a seat mod.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Stagehand, your advice is about as useful as telling us to grow a few inches (and if you have to say no offense, it means you're being offensive). The challenge most people have with the stock seat is its forward lean, making many feel like they are sitting on their nuts. This has more to do with height than weight.

I have a Russell for serious miles & it is a must. Completely worth what I paid for it. BUT, it is not an around town seat. It adds height, so if your short like I am it makes parking lot maneuvers tough, if I need to backup I usually have to get off the bike. Also the "wings" of the Russell make your legs move out at a stop increasing the effective height. I bought a used stock seat from another forum member and had that turned into the Russell. I keep the stock seat for use around town.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
butt battle!

loner,the sliding forward thing is one of the things i wanna fix..also,im very lucky that my wife really likes the V and wants to ride more...(AWESOME)..and after the sun run she said that her hoohoo was almost asleep and to get us a nicer seat...im like..ok ....lol..:D

·
Registered
115 Posts
5'8, 152 pounds soaking wet here...the seat in it's stock form was absolutely brutal for me. As stated above it was the forward lean that was getting me. Did the Spencer mod with supracor and helped tremendously. Went from really needing to get off every hour or so to being able to be in the saddle for a solid 3-4 hours before I was needing a break. The Corbin, Russel, etc is better I'm certain, I just can't drop $500 large into a seat. If you can I'd say go for it :)

Mike

·
Registered
459 Posts
Holykaw1, I can not think of a better reason for spending some real cash on a better seat! I still recommend trying to get a second seat for around town, though.

Steve

·
Registered
176 Posts
loner,the sliding forward thing is one of the things i wanna fix..also,im very lucky that my wife really likes the V and wants to ride more...(AWESOME)..and after the sun run she said that her hoohoo was almost asleep and to get us a nicer seat...im like..ok ....lol..:D
DON'T LET THAT HOOHOO FALL ASLEEP!!:eek:

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
The raised front mount mod works, with a 1/8" steel plate and 2 of 25mm (1") long M6x1 bolts and a washer per bolt between plate and stock front seat holder (2 total), plus a washer under bolt heads (another 2 total).

I also glued a layer of foam on top of the stock one, and carved in ergonomicaly shapped dips for tailbone and 'seat bones' while correcting more of the forward downslope. :thumb:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339

Attachments

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
I might have to try raising the front of the seat to see if I would like not having the forward lean on the seat. For me the forward lean puts me in the sport riding position for the curves. Without the forward lean of the seat it might feel like I am crushing my balls when sport riding. I will give it a try before I decide to do the spencer mod or get a seat.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The stock seats just fine; according to my 6'-2", 180lbs frame....even after nine hours of riding (less fuel stops).
Perhaps some might do better to address their need for a weight loss program...Better for there health and not nearly as expensive as a new saddle.
No offense.
Well, I am 6' and weigh 180 and workout everyday, and I must say, my backside hurts after a couple of hours of riding. So, I am trying to understand your logic for your diagnosis. I would figure the larger your butt, the more padding there would be.....you can extrapolate from there.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have heated seats on my Voyager. They are really nice on those cool mornings.

I don't think the Versys has enough electrical power to power the heated grips, heated vest liner, and heated seats.

I get a little sore after 12 hours in the saddle, but I believe the Versys has one of the best stock seats I have ever had.

I might send mine to Spencer for the LD Supracor mod this winter. I hear it is the best value in a seat mod.
I have used a full set of Gerbings including socks, pants, jackets and gloves for multiple days of riding and it has not had any negative effects.

YMMV

edited to add topic comment.....Guess I need to lose some weight.

·
Registered
764 Posts
No offense.
I second that, what he said.:thumb: also have to give your but some time in the saddle.:D as for the forward lean and sliding to the front, my bike didn't come with that problem so I have no issues there.

How's it going Carl?

Donn

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
OK....at the risk of getting beat-up again for a sincere comment regarding why some can love the saddle BUTT most seem to hate it.
( and I really meant no offense but....there ya go.)
Please to except my sincere :sorry: to any I may have offended.

Perhaps the love /hate saddle thing IS more a function of leg length...(I don't have any issue with the sliding thing either)...And position.
My thighs ride/ follow just below the bottom line of the side fairing (resting against the black under-trim) but not touching the fairing finish....and I sub-consciously/automatically hug the tank....which then makes me ponder that this riding posture keeps my butt where it belongs. (thighs closer to being parallel to the road than not and knees tucked into the bodywork).
If my legs wear shorter (I have a 35" inseam) then my legs would be 'straighter' which would affect the amount of natural leverage created by ones posture while in the saddle!?!
If my pegs were lower then perhaps I'd be sliding forward too!
Just a thought.......
One more thing, +++:thumb: regarding if your a new rider and your not used to the ergonomics of motorcycling. Get a thousand miles or so (guessing here BTW) under your belt before you pop for an expensive fix. (working yourself up to longer rides...if ya get my meaning).
And Yes, in the beginning...I had a sore butt! BUT, I figured it was nothing more than getting used to everything MOTO..like not riding a bicycle for a few years then getting back in to it (OUCH!!!!) until your 'sit' bones get used to being planted in a tiny racing saddle.
Just sayin'....

(and Howdy there right back at ya there Donn,:D
I sent you a PM).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Russell

I just did 300 + miles today on my Russell. Unfortunatley today was my firs long ride of the year. Anyways I could not be happier with the seat. Lots of room to move around and its worth the price of addmission. It does make you sit up higher. I added bar risers after I put the seat on. Im 6' tall and had np problem flat footing it with the stock seat. Now I have to slide all the way forward when at a stop and Im tip toeing it now. All in all im totally satisfied with the Russell. I purchased it from a member on this forum for $400. A steal if you aske me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts