Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forecast temp for yesterday in the Phoenix area was for a Hi 79F, mostly sunny, so I was "out-of-the-house" at 1000 and headed N via Ellsworth to the Bush Hwy, then onto the Beeline (AZ 87) heading E. It was rather nice as I headed thru "Greater PHX", but as I approached 87 the sky was looking a 'bit' different, and as 87 took me E I could see a rather 'diminished' Four Peaks of to my right, w/ something looking suspiciously like showers coming down, but burned areas evident all over! I took two pics then put my camera away from the 'wet'.

IMG_0712 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0713 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

The Beeline Hwy is quite nice riding, even when there's some 'wet' in the air, and just before the turn S onto AZ 188 I took a pic of the 'hills' just N of 87, the showers disappearing.

IMG_0714 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

NOW some sun was actually showing, as well as the Four Peaks just off 188.

IMG_0715 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0716 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

AZ 188 heads basically S the 61 miles to Globe, and the sun was coming on more, and more, Roosevelt Lake just to my left 'calling' to me....

IMG_0717 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0718 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0719 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Roosevelt Lake is basically the impoundment caused by the Roosevelt Dam damming off the Salt River, also the E end of the Apache Trail, w/ a 'rainbow-bridge' near the dam.

IMG_0720 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

w/ another couple of looks E before continuing past the bridge.

IMG_0721 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0722 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

And just before the bridge a memorial to Al Seiber, a famous army scout during the Apache Wars.

IMG_0724 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0725 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

A few miles past the bridge there's a 'cave-dwelling' in the Tonto Nat'l Monument about two miles S of 188, that has another larger dwelling a few miles S, only accessible on a guided tour once or twice daily, BUT visually accessible from a "Scenic View" turn-off about four miles further S. I stopped there for my lunch-snack, and took this pic at MAX telephoto on my camera.

IMG_0727 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Hard to say WHAT that orange is just before the dwelling - a hiker's jacket? ...or a plastic garbage can?

From there I followed 188 to the intersection w/ AZ 60, then W thru Superior to AZ 79, and home. My trip odometer indicated this

IMG_0728 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

so I guess I didn't QUITE 'do' 200 miles on this ride, but fun nonetheless! A FIVE hour escape from the 'pandemic'...!

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I filled up near the end of that ride, I got 55 mpg - UP from the 50 mpg I've been getting.

I did a tune-up last week (new plugs, cleaned the air-filter), so I believe that's the reason for the 10% INCREASE in gas-mileage.

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Very nice!
Beautiful pics .... minus the defaced Al Sieber monument. :cautious:
But man there is beauty in the winter desert! Thanks for sharing!

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SOMEWHERE (IF I can find them...) I have pics of that monument before it was defaced....

:mad:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts