Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9 Mile canyon is in east central Utah, north of Moab south of the Uintah mountains. The area contains countless ancient rock art panels and ruins from villages inhabited about 1,000 years ago by the mysterious Anasazi. Though they were a Native American group, nobody knows who they were or which modern tribes may have descended from them.

Petroglyphs are scratched into the hard, dark desert varnish which develops on the outer surface of sandstones. Pictographs are painted onto the rocks. The latter are quite rare, but a few are found in 9MC. The petroglyphs are everywhere. You can hardly look at a rock face without seeing some (or imagining you do after a while).

Geologically, there is a step down through layers of sandstones from the Uintah basin to the lower basin where you find Price, Moab, the San Rafael Swell, and arcing eastward towards Grand Junction, Colorado. There are many north-south canyons in this step, with 9MC being one of the only east-west canyons, which results in the steep vertical walled canyons and a flat valley floor suitable for habitation.

The pioneers set up farms/ranches in the 1800's, and there are still several in operation today.

You can easily spend an entire day seeing the sights/sites.

You'll can make a loop out of it, and I recommend running UT 191 between Duchesne and Price as the opposite direction.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Within 9MC and the access from the south is all paved. Going north out of 9MC towards Myton there are several miles of dirt which I would rank it as not for the first time ever on dirt, but easy enough for the occasional dirt road rider.

There's no legal camping with 9MC, so I ended up in Nat'l Forest land at the most remote place I've ever camped alone. I'm a lower intermediate skill off-road rider, and found the access pretty challenging. Zero recent tire tracks. Probably nobody goes out there except during hunting season.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was almost a full moon. Shortly after this photo after sunset I was sitting in camp enjoying the twilight when a shadow figure moved across the clearing. After getting home from the trip I learned my father had passed away suddenly that day. I'm not one for ghosts but this was definitely weird.

My dad a few years ago doing his favorite thing, hosting the extended family at the shore.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Very impressive area. You're fortunate to have been able to enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts
Beautiful Photo's. So sorry to hear about your dad...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Looks like a fun ride. U got that little V loaded down pretty good. Surprised there are not any UFO's inscribed on those canyon walls. Some of those old Indian tribes had some very provocative scribblings on their walls.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Condolences on the loss of your father. That is a spectacular part of the country! Thanks for posting this; those of us who can't get away really enjoy seeing what's out there!

Reactions: Fly-Sig

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like a fun ride. U got that little V loaded down pretty good. Surprised there are not any UFO's inscribed on those canyon walls. Some of those old Indian tribes had some very provocative scribblings on their walls.
There are definitely some interesting images! Some look like a craft flying, and some look like someone in a space suit.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Oh man just read about your dad. So sorry to hear. Never fun to lose a parent. Prayers heading your way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts