Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked to a friend that owns a Concours who showed me this nice little trick he learned on a Concours forum.

I bought this #43 Size O-Ring at my local Ace Hardware store. (Actually bought a couple)

Prior to getting on the highway, just roll the O-Ring over your throttle end until it fits in-between the bar end and throttle grip.

The end result is your trottle will stay "locked" with very little pressure from your hand. You take your hand off the throttle (to stretch/flex your fingers) and it will stay at speed or reduce very slowly at most. You can easily over come the resistance when you need to throttle down or up.

I recommend not using this full time, but only when you know you will be going on the highway. I keep a couple in my bag ready for when the need arises.

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts
I will not want to take such a risk on highway. There is a posiabilty for the o-ring to wrap as it get worn.

anyway good thought and thanks for sharing.

:cheers:

·
Registered
180 Posts
For $10.16 more get one of these bad boys, much safer and will last much longer. Probably save you money in the long run. Best part you can twist it outta the way on the go and dont have to worry about having it be in the way around town.

http://www.crampbuster.com/

·
Registered
575 Posts
I did the o-ring thing for a while but never realy felt comfortable using it. I also found it didn't work well in the rain. Cool little trick though.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I find it amazing that anyone would worry about the cost of something as important as control of the throttle. Yet we'll go spend $700 on a pipe or $400 on a custom seat. For god's sake, my life is worth spending more than $.79 on. Can't recommend the Kaoko throttle lock enough. Easy to use, safe to disengage. Get one!
http://www.kaokousa.com/

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Nice trick looks like a nice poor mans solution. However, It does not look like you can disengage it easily enough for comfort. Looks like a bit of safety hazard to me.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Can't recommend the Kaoko throttle lock enough. Easy to use, safe to disengage. Get one!
I have been looking at the Kaoko. Does it take much adjusting to get the tension right? Might just be my next add on.

On a side note, does anyone know of a larger diameter set of grips that fit the V and look like sport bike grips and not cruisers? I just came off a cruiser and the V's grips seem so small. I feel like larger grips wont cramp my hands as quick.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I was thinking about the Kaoko too. The problem is, unless you are on flat gound, none of these thing really work. You start going to fast, or too slow. I decided to bite the bullet and go with an Audiovox Css-100. It's a very expensive way to go, but once you have had one, you dont want to go back.
However, the PIA factor is a 10.:mad:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Lots of ups and downs in my riding and the vista universal works fine for me. I keep my hand on the throttle and adjust as needed. Just help relax the hand a bit since I do not have to actualy hold the throttle in position. I guess I never expected a throttle lock to perform like a cruise control, it is not. It's just a gadget that helps a little on very long rides.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have been looking at the Kaoko. Does it take much adjusting to get the tension right? Might just be my next add on.

On a side note, does anyone know of a larger diameter set of grips that fit the V and look like sport bike grips and not cruisers? I just came off a cruiser and the V's grips seem so small. I feel like larger grips wont cramp my hands as quick.
Very easy to adjust and there is a set key that happens to face me when the tension is right.

I use grip puppies to increase the diameter of the grips and to quell some vibration to boot. Here is a link to my site that has a pic and a link to the grippuppies.
http://versysfarklefest.com/mybike.html

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yep. Gel grips. I think mine are for enduro or something like that. They are just a little bigger than stock grips and have a similar look. Definitely more comfortable and only cost 10 bucks at my local cycle gear.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Kilofox - i am heading for my trip to Austin next week, and was just thinking yesterday about where on this forum was it that some one was using an O-ring for a throttle lock. And boom - you post today. Perfect timing, and you saved me time searching.:clap:
Yea people will talk about the safety/reliability. But if it lets me remove my right hand for a couple of seconds without losing the pack that is all i need. Thank you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Kilofox - i am heading for my trip to Austin next week, and was just thinking yesterday about where on this forum was it that some one was using an O-ring for a throttle lock. And boom - you post today. Perfect timing, and you saved me time searching.:clap:
Yea people will talk about the safety/reliability. But if it lets me remove my right hand for a couple of seconds without losing the pack that is all i need. Thank you.
+1

going on a 7 day, 1000 mile trip this weekend. perfect solution for me, as its too late to order anything. thanks. the great thing about throttle locks is that if you are leading a group, like I am, then you don't have the pull the whole friggin group over on the side of the road just to get a zipper down or adjust a velcro strap.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Here is my take. I just put a little bit of electrical tape on the end to make it easy to remove. It worked for my trip from Philly to Montreal this past weekend.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Kaoko throttle lock

I find it amazing that anyone would worry about the cost of something as important as control of the throttle. Yet we'll go spend $700 on a pipe or $400 on a custom seat. For god's sake, my life is worth spending more than $.79 on. Can't recommend the Kaoko throttle lock enough. Easy to use, safe to disengage. Get one!
this looks like a simple and efficient device. Is this outfit in Malaysia? How much did you spend for the versys kit?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts