·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twas the day before winter and all through the state,
record high temps, would not abate.
So I called up the men of the Dove Mtn club;
mount your cycle’s riders, let’s go for some grub. :smile2:

So that is what we did. I started out at about 45 degrees and we headed to Florence, AZ for our most favorite donut shop. Coffee and donut(s) helped warm the body and afterward we cruised down the old town main street. There is a nice museum and several historic locations there. We then rode up to Hwy 60 and across to another historic mining town, Superior. From there we turned on to Hwy 177, which is a twisty, and uphill and down road with great scenic vistas. I had my old GoPro on one snap every minute and the sun was not in my favor. We arrived in Hayden; the smelting town of the area-you can see the smelter smoke stack to left of center. They take the copper ore from the Ray mine and turn it all the way in to copper anode (or is copper the cathode) plates which then get shipped out on large flat beds. We got gas and then headed to our favorite lunch place, The Ore House Hilltop Tavern in Oracle, AZ. Several riding groups arrived at once, so we enjoyed the slowed service sitting out in the sun waiting for our Sonoran Dogs (a hot dog, wrapped in bacon, in a soft bun, and covered with green chilies, mayo, mustard, and green chili sauce). A couple of the guys even had the Jerry Dog, which is the same with 3 more spicy mixes added on top. We headed home to Tucson where arrival temperature was 77 degrees – just short of the record of 80 degrees. A great day finished at 195 miles covered. Life Is Good!!

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
Great pics, looks as if you all had a great time.
I am jonesing to get up in the high country myself.
Which if the weather holds. That's exactly what I will be doing myself on Saturday.

·
Super Moderator
19,460 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chuck - did you ever look at the 'clock' in the bell-tower in Florence (your pic #2)...?
No. Does it have the exact time as the clock in Back to The Future?? If so, I will drive my DeLorean instead of my V on our next trip for donuts so I can be sure and launch at exactly the right time. Chuck

Reactions: onewizard

·
Super Moderator
19,460 Posts
No. Does it have the exact time as the clock in Back to The Future?? If so, I will drive my DeLorean instead of my V on our next trip for donuts so I can be sure and launch at exactly the right time. Chuck
Nope - it's a painted "fake-clock". ALL four sides show the same time, so they're CORRECT two times daily....:wink2:

·
Registered
235 Posts
"...arrival temperature was 77 degrees..."

Jealous! Temps here in KC aren't so nice, but after November (teens, four snow storms), December has been comparatively tropical - It was above 30 every morning this week when I rode to work: 40 miles, 45 minutes, 70mph wind chill, heated gloves and LOTS of layers :D
...but the afternoons in the 40's (and 50 once) made it worthwhile.
Ride safe!
Rob in KC
'14 Versys 650, 25K miles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts