Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member looking at Versys 650 LT. Doe anybody know what the payload capacity is on the 650 LT? I can find info on the 1000 but not the 650. I occasionally ride 2-up and don't want to buy the bike if it can't handle 375 pounds (passengers plus luggage). Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I have an 08 650 (less power then the new one) and ride 2 up 99% the time and that's about 400# and have no power isues at all I easaly hit 80 from 20 on the ontramps around here without pushing it to its max

Then I also do alot of my shopping on it too and will load it down with another 50+# and I haven't even gotten side cases yet.....

·
Super Moderator
18,815 Posts
Just checked my '15 OWNERS MANUAL.

MASS is listed at 216 kg (476 #).

Then I checked the vehicle sticker on the frame:

GVWR/PNBV 426 kg
GAWR/PNBE 288 kg
F/AV 138 kg

and I ASSUME that the letters after the "/" are French.

BTW - the 'mass' on my '09 OWNERS MANUAL says 454 # - it was a US bike..

HOPE you know what ALL those letters mean....

:huh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just checked my '15 OWNERS MANUAL.

MASS is listed at 216 kg (476 #).

Then I checked the vehicle sticker on the frame:

GVWR/PNBV 426 kg
GAWR/PNBE 288 kg
F/AV 138 kg

and I ASSUME that the letters after the "/" are French.

BTW - the 'mass' on my '09 OWNERS MANUAL says 454 # - it was a US bike..

HOPE you know what ALL those letters mean....

:huh:
GVWR is the weight (mass) allowable of bike, fluids, accessories, passenger(s) and cargo.426 kg equals 939 pounds for GVWR, less 496 pounds for LT wet weight, that leaves 443 pounds for passengers and cargo plus weight of any accessories beyond side bags. ThaT is very doable for me. Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. I was thinking I would be forced to go to Versys 1000 (not necessarily a bad thing) but I really like the 650LT

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I have owned the 2012 650 for nearly 3 years and done a fair bit of touring (solo)
I have had 3 different passengers for short trips without all the touring gear. 2 of the passengers have been large men and the other was a small woman. The experience with the guys on the bike were not the most present and were only done because of necessity, the trip with the lady was around town for about an hour and was fine.
My conclusion? Unless you and the passenger are on the small side it won't be much fun and I would not do long distance 2 up on the 650.
I have also ridden the 2015 V1K for over 700 km (solo) and if I was choosing between the 2 bikes and was wanting to ride 2 up especially touring there would be no choice I would go the 1000 every day of the week.
P.S. I am 90 kg (198 lbs) and my 2 male passengers were in that range as well. Draw your own conclusions.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well, two 90kg guys was at the very limit of the old 650's capacity, no wonder it wasn't very pleasant.

However, with the new 650 having a 210kg capacity, and the new 1000 having 220kg, it's not that big of a difference. Of course, when you're carrying an extra 200+ kilos, having more power helps, but if you're not screaming through the highways at max speed very often, the 650 should be fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, two 90kg guys was at the very limit of the old 650's capacity, no wonder it wasn't very pleasant.

However, with the new 650 having a 210kg capacity, and the new 1000 having 220kg, it's not that big of a difference. Of course, when you're carrying an extra 200+ kilos, having more power helps, but if you're not screaming through the highways at max speed very often, the 650 should be fine.
I know for 2015 the payload for the 650 LT was increased (according to Kawasaki) by 66 pounds (30 kg) as a result of engine and suspension upgrades. Most of my two up riding is on back roads in the mountains of Eastern Pennsylvania and not on freeways. I like the weight and maneuverability of the 650 over the 1000. I was not able to test drive the 1000, which I should do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts