Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at 725 miles now and I changed my oil & filter at 300 just because I am paranoid. I have been told that the 600 mile service is the most important and that you should let the dealer do it. But I am not about to pay $200 for an oil change if thats all they are going to do.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Should I just do my own service and document everything or take it to them for this one time 600 mile check up?

·
Registered
531 Posts
My V is booked in for its first service next week. I checked out how much it would cost leaving it into the (not so) local Kawasaki dealers (I didn't buy the bike from them as I got a much better deal in England) and was quoted £130, but no real info as to what they'd do. They didn't fill me full of confidence and £130 is a lot for basically an oil change.

I then asked my (more) local Honda dealer if they'd do the service as I've used them in the not so distant past and am comfortable with the knowledge that they have a very good senior mechanic. They quoted me £90. They also gave me a run down on all the checks that would be carried out and what I should expect from them. TBH, they just made me more confident in their care of my motorcycle.

Still, the main thing I need is that all important stamp in the service book telling Kawasaki that the bike has been dealer serviced and it honours its two year warranty (should something go wrong, and I know it's not essentially needed as long as genuine Kawasaki parts are used, but I don't like to give them a chance to get out of their obligations). After that period, I'm more than competent myself to keep the bike properly serviced (or as anyone who knows me says I'm the fussiest of fussy people) and have plenty of contacts should I need anything more difficult done.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just had mine done and it was $220 AUD. Basically as everyone has said, it's an oil change and check everything. Mostly labour costs.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright! great information...I am gonna check everything myself and shop around for the best service deal.

Saving that money will get me one step closer to the 44t, givi screen, lowering pegs, rear tail case.

·
Registered
738 Posts
alright! great information...I am gonna check everything myself and shop around for the best service deal.

Saving that money will get me one step closer to the 44t, givi screen, lowering pegs, rear tail case.
Let me know how that Givi works, I'm going to try 2000 miles in 2 days with the factory screen, and not so sure about it. I just got a coocase I'll be putting in my build thread soon.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
When you change your oil, get your filter at Walmart. Number ST7317. Less than $3.00 and works great. I've been using them on all my V's and have use Walmart filter's for years without any problems. I know others will start flaming me, but that's what this country is all about. So, that's what I choose. If it gives you a warm fuzzy to use a $15.00 + filter, by all means use it. Just not my choice.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the local kawa dealer just flat out told me $200 like it was nothing and when i asked what they would do, he responded
  • oil and filter:mad:
  • lube and tighten chain:mad:
  • head bearings (lube)
  • tighten and adjustment of "everything":forgetit:
  • top off all fluids:blah:
this sounds like it is %100 possibly of just doing that crap myself, other than lubing the head bearings everything sounds simple.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
They might "change the oil & filter" but you have to check them. I marked the oil filter once when I had a dealer do it and when I went to pick it up, the same filter was still on it and we had some words. As far as checking things, don't beleive it unless you actually see them do it. Lube the head bearing? it doesn't have a lube fitting and you'd have to take the head apart to lube it. Never heard of them doing that.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
i think he meant steering stem bearing lubrication...

called 2 more shops all the same run around BS
Then I got this nice guy who runs a more low key kawasaki dealership about 20 miles away and he wanted $120. I felt like giving him the business just because he didnt try to feed me that crap like the others. But we will see, if I do go in for this service, it will be the only one until 15k when i need the valves checked.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yeah, I'd just about bet money they don't do that most of the time.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Actually the 600 mile service just calls for checking the steering stem for play. Barring finding any play, re-torquing it would be silly — and re-lubing it as a matter of routine would be lunacy (or thievery).

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I paid mine for USD45, for oil and filter. Rock Oil Semi Synthetic 10W40 were used. They charged me an additional USD6.50 labor for changing the brake hoses to the stainless steel braided hose which I got off eBay. I didn't see them checking anything but I wasn't paying attention to them as I was browsing the store on accessories.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I asked my dealer how much for the first service He told me $190 I was like damm. I told him that will be the last time he sees the bike unless there is a warrenty issue with it. I will be doing all the oil changes myself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts