Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This will be my first multi-day trip RR... bear with me as I am learning to get better at these. I will break down each day into it's own sub thread for easier tracking.

My cousin and I had planned a ride out to Colorado over the winter, his brother lives in CO Springs so we planned on staying with him for a few days and exploring the surrounding areas. We originally were planning on May, but with everything going on, we decided to postpone for a bit and ended up leaving July 16th and returned home on July 21st. We averaged about 500 miles per day with the exception being the day that we rode Rocky Mountain National Park. We ended up riding about miles that day when it was all said and done ( took the back way and some other roads back to CO Springs) It only rained on us once, and that was the last night/last day home. I do not have any pictures from the last day as it rained and we just wanted to get home. Other than the one REALLY bad Nebraska plains thunderstorm ( weather app said it wasn't supposed to be bad/even happen... It was WRONG) we had great riding weather albeit it was hot... but dry. We had awesome campsites and great views.

I hope whoever reads this, enjoys it!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Day One- WI to Stone State Park- Souix City Iowa 483 miles

Day one was an easy ride from home (South central WI just north of the IL border) Luckily we had to postpone day 1 by a day due to my cousins work schedule, which worked out as it stormed the day before. We left my house at about 7:30 AM and set out for Stone State Park in Iowa. We pretty much stayed on one road all the way to Iowa and then stayed on Highway 20 all through Iowa to our campsite. Pretty boring and not much scenery in that part of the Mid-West so I don't have many pictures. We stopped for a quick lunch at Kwik Star which is a Kwik Trip with a different name... too funny ( we didn't realize it until we walked in) we then made it to Souix City at about 5 P.M. and had dinner at Chik-Fil-A and then got to camp for a cold beer.about 5 P.M.
IMG_3589.jpg
IMG_3591.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Day 2- Stone State Park to Lake McConaughy Nebraska (Short Day) 377 miles

We left our campsite at about 8 A.M after a great night sleep. We stopped at a Mcdonalds for coffee and breakfast (I packed my coffee making stuff... forgot my stove... DUH). This was both of our first long trip. I have been riding for about 8 years at this point just locally and one other over night trip. My cousin had just gotten his Vulcan last year and was a new rider so we planned on having a short day in case we were sore, tired or both. We woke up feeling great, not sore nor tired. We stopped for lunch around noon at this small bar in the middle of nowhere and then continued on. Riding through Nebraska was such a beautiful ride. We were on roads that took us through rolling hills and then into GIANT prairie lands full of cattle. Around 4 we made it to our campsite at Ogallala State park next to Lake McConaughy. It was about 100 degrees out all day, so being able to cool off in the lake turned out to probably be the highlight of the trip ( except for RMNP). We then had dinner at what we thought would be a bar next to the lake but turned out to be an Asian restaurant with some of the best Pho I have ever had. We then camped next to the water and it was a perfect night for some beers and a cigar.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Day 3- Lake McConaughy Nebraska to Fort Collins- Horsetooth reservoir- to CO Springs 430 miles

Day 3 was the first day that we made it into Colorado. We drove through some praire lands again and it rained for about a minute.... It was such a welcoming rain as it was about 98 degrees out again. Our destination was Big City Burrito in FOCO as a buddy of mine lived there and recommended it. We also had plans to stop at New Belgium Brewing but decided not to wait outside in the hot weather for the hour wait time they had...(Thanks covid, although that was our only covid hindrance) instead of sweating our asses off, we decided to grab a 6 pack and head to Horsetooth reservoir to take a swim. We ended up relaxing there for a few hours and then decided to head to my cousins house in CO springs. We had originally planned to camp in Wyoming but they were having storms that day/night so we decided to head south a day early. We also though it would be a good idea since we could drop our luggage for the ride though RMNP the next day.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
CO is AMAZING to ride in. I took a 12 day trip there in 2015, only drawback was the 3 straight days of slab needed to ride there from Ontario. (and 3 more home...)
Good gawd you pack a lot of gear for a 6 day trip!
Looking forward to living vicariously thru your adventure.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Day 4- CO Springs- Rocky Mountain National Park- Other random back roads.

We left my cousins house at about 8 AM to make our 10 AM reservation at RMNP. Due to COVID, they were doing a timed entry (Not bad at all except we were hoping to camp but had to change plans weeks before the trip). The ride on trail ridge road is absolutely amazing. It was all long winding switchbacks to the top and then the same thing all the way down. I think it took us about 2 hours to get through the park if I remember correctly. We then rode the back roads all the way back to CO Springs which turned out to be roads almost as amazing as RMNP. We ended up getting back to my cousins house at about 8:30 PM that night... What a long day of riding. I will let the pictures do the rest of the talking.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CO is AMAZING to ride in. I took a 12 day trip there in 2015, only drawback was the 3 straight days of slab needed to ride there from Ontario. (and 3 more home...)
Good gawd you pack a lot of gear for a 6 day trip!
Looking forward to living vicariously thru your adventure.
I did have to carry some of my cousins gear as he doesn't have bags on his bike.. plus I camped the "minimalist" life style as a grunt in the Marines... No need to do that now so I camp comfortable! :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Looked to be some great roads and scenery. My first reaction to all the gear on your bike was whoa!! But I totally get it. But you did a nice job securing it does appear.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great photos and write up. Wish sometimes I lived closer to that area because I've always enjoyed being out there. Haven't been motorcycling though, just camping. Still fun.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Great photos and write up. Wish sometimes I lived closer to that area because I've always enjoyed being out there. Haven't been motorcycling though, just camping. Still fun.
The scenery is nice in Colorado, but the finest motorcycle roads are in the Appalachian mountains. Many more lightly traveled roads than in Colorado.

·
Super Moderator
19,423 Posts
...but the finest motorcycle roads are in the Appalachian mountains.
I've ridden in NY, NH, and VT when I lived in eastern Canada, so I BELIEVE I've ridden the Appalachians. However I moved to BC from Alberta SPECIFICALLY for the GREAT riding roads out here.

:love:

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts