Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my understanding is that the stock shock has 5.7 inches of travel. Is this correct or does the 5.7" refer to the rear wheel travel?

If the 5.7" does refer to the shock travel then do any of the aftermarket shocks offer 5.7" of travel?

If the 5.7" refers to the wheel travel then does anyone know what the shock travel is?

Thanks,
Hugh

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
Hugh - As the stock shock is 11 5/8" eye-to-eye (more or less...), there's no way you'd get 5.7" from the shock. That'd be rear wheel travel.

Also, NO aftermarket shock could give that much stroke in 11 5/8".

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
5.7 in of travel = 170mm. Which is the exact free length spring/fork extension of the Versys. (Measured the fork-shiny area when the front wheel is completely lifted up). This is NOT the travel. The travel would be much lesser than this number. I believe 150mm is the available travel from somewhere I've read.

Edit: mm and not cm.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Does anyone know what the rear shock travel is? I'm looking into an aftermarket shock and want to make sure it has at least as much travel as the stock shock.

Thanks,
Hugh

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks Phoneman. Intersting that you only got 4.4 inches of travel out of the rear suspension. If the rates are correct it seems like a replacement shock should have 41mm of travel for 4.4" or 52mm of travel for 5.7". Weird.

The Ohlins shock for our bikes does have 51.5mm of travel. Now I just got to decide if I want to buy an $800 shock for my $4000 bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just and FYI for anyone looking for this information in the future the Penske 8900 and 8983 have 54mm of travel. Mmmm Penske

·
Registered
944 Posts
The same place has the Ohlins KA907 for $555. Plus shipping.
I went ahead and ordered.
The best price I'd seen previously on that shock is $727 from AltRider.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow that's a great price. I really want a Penske but that's very tempting.

Traxxion says the 8900e wouldn't work on a Versys which seems odd. They also told me this when they offered me 10% off a 8983 which would still be over $800.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts