Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is this the 4th generation, or more like 3.5? ;)
No details about the seat, engine, no cruise control....:(
Yes I could see it as 2011 all over again, but it is another gen, just the kids look like the parents.

From what I read so far (European stuff)
Seat is reportedly slightly taller and narrower, engine is the same, no throttle by wire supposedly, so no cruise control, same 38mm Keihin throttle bodies, but different ECU and the display (too bad about the tach). 2 levels of traction control, 3 if you count off, ABS is standard, no idea if that can be turned off. LED lights and then the plastics. The wheels are lighter. I'm sure there is more stuff.

Pretty much the same Versys 650 with what you could have guessed as a minimum for today, but there is more competition in the street/sport tour/adventure end of the market, it will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Maybe an accessory bar above the dash and tools will be needed for windscreen adjustment?
New dash looks cool but TPMS and cruise control would have been a much more desired upgrade…

At least I’m not too upset I just bought a 2021, I like the aesthetic updates but there appears to be nothing major I’m missing out on that I can tell.

Im glad they didn’t change so much that the bike became something else entirely, looks like more evolution rather than revolution and it remains a good platform with many applications.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Don’t expect a world of changes in this entry level sport adventure segment. Traction control, new dash and slightly updated refresh looks is decent. Still a great value for what you get for the money IMHO. I am curious how the new Tiger 660 Sport Adventure will compete in this class. If i were looking for a middleweight adventure. The Tiger would also be on my short list of bikes to consider. I am holding out to see if they come out with an off-road Rally Version Tiger 660 for 2023. But back to the Versys. Subtle changes still get a thumbs up from me.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Don’t expect a world of changes in this entry level sport adventure segment. Traction control, new dash and slightly updated refresh looks is decent. Still a great value for what you get for the money IMHO. I am curious how the new Tiger 660 Sport Adventure will compete in this class. If i were looking for a middleweight adventure. The Tiger would also be on my short list of bikes to consider. I am holding out to see if they come out with an off-road Rally Version Tiger 660 for 2023. But back to the Versys. Subtle changes still get a thumbs up from me.
But, is it enough to get you to trade in your current Versys 650, or chose it over the competitors? I wonder if anyone has collected data on who is buying new model bikes. I know in cars they know that changes in the mustang attract people to trade in their current mustang as well as steal sales from the other pony car makers.

I know for me, if I'm going to pay 10k to get a certain bike, but for 12k I can get a similar bike with all the features I desire, I will drop the extra money. Now if the 10k bike isn't selling well against the competition and the manufacturer drops 2k off the price, my "bargain" nature might kick in.

Most of the bikes I have bought new had a discount, and all of the bikes I bought used were bargains. Even though I am always looking, I'm glad I am happy with my current stable because the direction the economy is going will probably mean I don't make too many more additions or changes before I stop buying bikes all together.

·
Registered
484 Posts
But, is it enough to get you to trade in your current Versys 650, or chose it over the competitors? I wonder if anyone has collected data on who is buying new model bikes. I know in cars they know that changes in the mustang attract people to trade in their current mustang as well as steal sales from the other pony car makers.

I know for me, if I'm going to pay 10k to get a certain bike, but for 12k I can get a similar bike with all the features I desire, I will drop the extra money. Now if the 10k bike isn't selling well against the competition and the manufacturer drops 2k off the price, my "bargain" nature might kick in.
Yes, I do believe they and all other manufacturers use both focus groups and feedback from both previous and current owners. Then they compile the data and look at what are the must haves. Not every country requires cruise or standard heated grips.

Personally, that was important in my decision moving to the Triumph Tiger 900. I wanted cruise, various rider modes, TFT Dash, cornering abs, etc..Electronic suspension was not a must for me. Why the GT worked well for my needs. Plus I picked a gently used with 18mos left on the factory warranty for 12.5k. With only 1.3k miles. So much like you. I am also a bargain shopper. I splurged more than I wanted, but have a terrific motorcycle for me!

Now would I be tempted to trade my old 2016 650lt on a new one. Probably not. But if I were entering the segment, I can say I would seriously consider.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes, I do believe they and all other manufacturers use both focus groups and feedback from both previous and current owners. Then they compile the data and look at what are the must haves. Not every country requires cruise or standard heated grips.

Personally, that was important in my decision moving to the Triumph Tiger 900. I wanted cruise, various rider modes, TFT Dash, cornering abs, etc..Electronic suspension was not a must for me. Why the GT worked well for my needs. Plus I picked a gently used with 18mos left on the factory warranty for 12.5k. With only 1.3k miles. So much like you. I am also a bargain shopper. I splurged more than I wanted, but have a terrific motorcycle for me!

Now would I be tempted to trade my old 2016 650lt on a new one. Probably not. But if I were entering the segment, I can say I would seriously consider.
I think people who say they want cruise control dont give further thoughts on this
1. It will increase the price
2. It will require some redesign and a new ECU
3. How good the cruise control will be? I.e Versys 1000 basic cruise control and Ninja's adaptive cruise control is worlds apart so is the price.
4. How much you will actually use it? It doenst work on low speeds and here in UK on motorways, you always end up changing your speed to take over, more so in wide 3-4 lane roads. Unless you want to cruise below speed limits i.e. 60-65 then yeah just it works
5. How technically is it possible? How many bikes are there with 649cc or less than have cruise control? Its always bigger and big bikes

One of top reasons why people love versys is the price and without drastically increasing the price I dont see how kawasaki could put it in. Maybe in years of time when tech and material become cheaper but defo not now

·
Registered
484 Posts
I think people who say they want cruise control dont give further thoughts on this
3. How good the cruise control will be? I.e Versys 1000 basic cruise control and Ninja's adaptive cruise control is worlds apart so is the price.
4. How much you will actually use it? It doenst work on low speeds and here in UK on motorways, you always end up changing your speed to take over, more so in wide 3-4 lane roads. Unless you want to cruise below speed limits i.e. 60-65 then yeah just it works
5. How technically is it possible? How many bikes are there with 649cc or less than have cruise control? Its always bigger and big bikes

One of top reasons why people love versys is the price and without drastically increasing the price I dont see how kawasaki could put it in. Maybe in years of time when tech and material become cheaper but defo not now
I agree with all the above. Why its the entry level segment. Much like a gateway drug!

·
Registered
5,293 Posts

As soon as I leave my driveway my cars and bikes with cruise control have them engaged. It doesn't cost much to add cruise control to throttle by wire bikes when it is done at the factory. More and more bikes are coming with it.

When you have the cruise set, you have one less thing to take your attention away from the road.

Sure, if you always ride in traffic that varies speed cruise would not be practical for you in a car or a bike. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean it shouldn't be available for those that do use it. Just like many features in cars or on bikes.

I have never activated the ABS brakes other than testing them, so they should be optional.

On most Harley models the software for the cruise control is already in the computer since they have models with cruise control. To add it to the model you buy is a $250 part that replaces the left hand switch gear. I'm OK with all manufacturers doing this. Just like adding heated grips, or accessory outlets. Have the parts available and easy to install for those that want it.

Since Kawasaki offers cruise control on some models it would be easy for them to offer it universally, but they won't do it when they can force you into a more expensive model to get cruise control. But, when you can buy a comparable bike with cruise control from another manufacturer and they see they are losing sales because of that, they will add cruise control to theirs. Well, maybe not Kawasaki. They still haven't added it to the Concours 1400 which hasn't had any significant update since 2010.

Cruise control is expanding to more and more bikes and lower displacement bikes. Triumph offered it on their Tiger 800 lineup.

When a manufacturer offers cruise on a more profit making model, there is no incentive for them to offer it on a less profit making model. I am not an Inline 4 guy so I don't want a Versys 1000 with cruise control.

You always here about riders complaining when a motorcycle only has a five speed transmission instead of a six speed transmission without taking into consideration the overall gearing and power of the bike. But have you ever heard about someone complaining that the bike had too many gears because sixth gear is only effective at speeds above 70 mph and they never ride above 70 mph? I read a post by one person who made that exact complaint. I see that the same as complaining about a bike having cruise control because you personally don't have the opportunity to use it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Cruise control is a very attractive option and a huge selling point to a lot of riders. I added it to my bike and use it EVERY time I ride at some point during the day. If I bought a bike that didn't have it, I would immediately add it again.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Who the he!! Needs traction control on a 650 cc bike? I mean really? I have never been in a situation on my Versys where it could have remotely helped me. I have never been on the road and thought to myself "Boy! I wish this thing had TC". Cruise would be sooo much better.
I agree. I think things like that are added to certain bikes to try to attract the brand new riders. And I guess if that's what gets someone to start riding, that's on the fence, I'm good with it.

And I also would have liked to have seen throttle by wire and cruise. But I don't work in the motorcycle manufacturing business, so I have no idea how much that would have increased the price. Like when the did the 1000 update and added $5,000 to the price. It puts the bike in a completely different category.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not too bad and only a $700 price increase. I still would have like to see throttle by wire and cruise. But I do like the dash.

Also, I don't know what country that video is from because the US still doesn't offer the GT. Just the base and LT.
Unfortunately, in 2022, a cable actuated throttle is a hard no for me in a new bike. Any ride by wire platform will eventually have a slick after market cruise control, if one is not stock or offered as an option. They’ve made some decent upgrades, but not enough to beat or even meet the Triumph Tiger 660 Sport. My money will be going there or spending a bit more for the Tiger 900. Plus, I’m guessing there are no power increases in the same parallel twin power plant, and I’m more interested in a triple that puts out 80 BHP for the same price and sings a beautiful tune.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Unfortunately, in 2022, a cable actuated throttle is a hard no for me in a new bike. Any ride by wire platform will eventually have a slick after market cruise control, if one is not stock or offered as an option. They’ve made some decent upgrades, but not enough to beat or even meet the Triumph Tiger 660 Sport. My money will be going there or spending a bit more for the Tiger 900. Plus, I’m guessing there are no power increases in the same parallel twin power plant, and I’m more interested in a triple that puts out 80 BHP for the same price and sings a beautiful tune.
i can tell you the grunt of the 900 is very nice. I’m pleased with the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
MK3 Versys 650
53 Posts
Who the he!! Needs traction control on a 650 cc bike? I mean really? I have never been in a situation on my Versys where it could have remotely helped me. I have never been on the road and thought to myself "Boy! I wish this thing had TC". Cruise would be sooo much better.
Marketing and salesmen, that's who the traction control is for. It's dirt cheap to implement, it's just software as the hardware is already there. Useful features like cruise control would have required actual changes, big no no. I guess they also thought it would be more of a selling point to have cruise control on a "begginer" bike, you want cruise control you have to spend a bit more dough to get the V1000... But at least in Portugal the V1000 is so expensive, close to double V650, there are better options.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts