Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Don’t expect a world of changes in this entry level sport adventure segment. Traction control, new dash and slightly updated refresh looks is decent. Still a great value for what you get for the money IMHO. I am curious how the new Tiger 660 Sport Adventure will compete in this class. If i were looking for a middleweight adventure. The Tiger would also be on my short list of bikes to consider. I am holding out to see if they come out with an off-road Rally Version Tiger 660 for 2023. But back to the Versys. Subtle changes still get a thumbs up from me.
But, is it enough to get you to trade in your current Versys 650, or chose it over the competitors? I wonder if anyone has collected data on who is buying new model bikes. I know in cars they know that changes in the mustang attract people to trade in their current mustang as well as steal sales from the other pony car makers.

I know for me, if I'm going to pay 10k to get a certain bike, but for 12k I can get a similar bike with all the features I desire, I will drop the extra money. Now if the 10k bike isn't selling well against the competition and the manufacturer drops 2k off the price, my "bargain" nature might kick in.

Most of the bikes I have bought new had a discount, and all of the bikes I bought used were bargains. Even though I am always looking, I'm glad I am happy with my current stable because the direction the economy is going will probably mean I don't make too many more additions or changes before I stop buying bikes all together.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
I think people who say they want cruise control dont give further thoughts on this
1. It will increase the price
2. It will require some redesign and a new ECU
3. How good the cruise control will be? I.e Versys 1000 basic cruise control and Ninja's adaptive cruise control is worlds apart so is the price.
4. How much you will actually use it? It doenst work on low speeds and here in UK on motorways, you always end up changing your speed to take over, more so in wide 3-4 lane roads. Unless you want to cruise below speed limits i.e. 60-65 then yeah just it works
5. How technically is it possible? How many bikes are there with 649cc or less than have cruise control? Its always bigger and big bikes

One of top reasons why people love versys is the price and without drastically increasing the price I dont see how kawasaki could put it in. Maybe in years of time when tech and material become cheaper but defo not now
As soon as I leave my driveway my cars and bikes with cruise control have them engaged. It doesn't cost much to add cruise control to throttle by wire bikes when it is done at the factory. More and more bikes are coming with it.

When you have the cruise set, you have one less thing to take your attention away from the road.

Sure, if you always ride in traffic that varies speed cruise would not be practical for you in a car or a bike. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean it shouldn't be available for those that do use it. Just like many features in cars or on bikes.

I have never activated the ABS brakes other than testing them, so they should be optional.

On most Harley models the software for the cruise control is already in the computer since they have models with cruise control. To add it to the model you buy is a $250 part that replaces the left hand switch gear. I'm OK with all manufacturers doing this. Just like adding heated grips, or accessory outlets. Have the parts available and easy to install for those that want it.

Since Kawasaki offers cruise control on some models it would be easy for them to offer it universally, but they won't do it when they can force you into a more expensive model to get cruise control. But, when you can buy a comparable bike with cruise control from another manufacturer and they see they are losing sales because of that, they will add cruise control to theirs. Well, maybe not Kawasaki. They still haven't added it to the Concours 1400 which hasn't had any significant update since 2010.

Cruise control is expanding to more and more bikes and lower displacement bikes. Triumph offered it on their Tiger 800 lineup.

When a manufacturer offers cruise on a more profit making model, there is no incentive for them to offer it on a less profit making model. I am not an Inline 4 guy so I don't want a Versys 1000 with cruise control.

You always here about riders complaining when a motorcycle only has a five speed transmission instead of a six speed transmission without taking into consideration the overall gearing and power of the bike. But have you ever heard about someone complaining that the bike had too many gears because sixth gear is only effective at speeds above 70 mph and they never ride above 70 mph? I read a post by one person who made that exact complaint. I see that the same as complaining about a bike having cruise control because you personally don't have the opportunity to use it.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Hi,
This "new" Versys 650, which is almost identical to the 2015 model, is a good thing for existing users
of 2015-2021 models : we are sure to find spare parts up to 2035 (end of gasoline engine in Europe) ! ;)

The lack of cruise control is not a problem for me, as I try to avoid highway as much as I can.
A better option, something that really matters to me, would be an improved rear dumper with adjustable hydraulic.

The Versys 650 remains an excellent motorcycle. (y)
See you later
Emmanuel
I avoid highway as much as possible and still use cruise control all the time. Even on roads with sweeping curves. Even if it is only for 5 minutes at a time to allow me to stretch my right hand some.

Not having cruise control is one of the main reasons I replaced my Concours 1400 with the Triumph Trophy SE. On the Connie the speed kept creeping up to where I found myself going 90 in a 55 without realizing it because there was no traffic to gauge my speed off of. I could have set the cruise at 65 and just watched the road instead of constantly taking my eyes off the road to check my speed.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
I have never owned a motorcycle with cruise control and my area is mountains and twisty roads. I would have no use for it. But I could understand that it would be nice on long straight roads I would like to try it once. But I am the type of rider that would get bored very fast riding straight flat roads. Not to knock the riders that love eating up hundreds of miles on long smooth roads. Riding long distances. I will stick with the twisty mountain roads for as long as my body and reflexes will let me.👍👍
Not sure where you live, but I live where there are hollows and ridges and fun roads to ride, but I also run errands and take trips away from my area. Most mountainous areas also have roads that run in the valleys that are not twisty, just curvy. I understand that there are people who don't even use cruise control in their cars. Those are the ones that frustrate the hell out of me because their speed is based on their level of attention or lack of attention when driving.

I look at it this way. If you only use something 10 percent of the time it is still worth having. This is why you hear a lot of conversation about throttle locks. Just about everyone that rides constantly for hours on end feels the need to rest their throttle hand from time to time.

My Moto Guzzi 750 is a standard motorcycle. I can transform it into the current cafe, go back to a standard, or add bags and larger fairing and make it a light touring bike. But without cruise control it doesn't make a good light touring bike, so I have the Harley Road Glide for my touring needs.

As I approach retirement I would like to have more versatile motorcycles than specialized. I don't require more than 50 hp on a motorcycle, but am forced to buy a 900cc or larger bike in order to get cruise control.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Have not logged in to this site in quite a while, but look around from time to time as I fondly remember my 2008 Versys 650.
Cruise control, well, how about a slightly different approach to that? For a long time I have thought that holding pressure against the throttle spring for any length of time, with carpal tunnel syndrome, makes little sense for me. How I deal with this, and have for several bikes now, is install a throttle lock. Current one is a Kaoko. It allows me to use the throttle like a rheostat. Set it where needed, fine tuning easy, as I don't tighten it up very much. Just tight enough to easily shift gears, but still keeps setting. It has not been a safety issue whatsoever for me and makes riding much more enjoyable. I have had a few bikes with cruise control and did enjoy them, but I actually think a good quality throttle lock is a very good alternative.
I still watch the latest news about Versys and just might test drive one some day! It was one of the best bikes I have ever owned. Now I ride a T700.
Throttle locks worked well when I lived in Florida. Here in Tennessee they would work well for fuel economy, but you would be cresting every rise below the normal speed of travel, and descending every hill like a bat out of hell. LOL!

My neighbor has finally offered his T700 for me to test ride. I had a '15 FZ-07 that I enjoyed so am familiar with the engine. I might choose the Aprilia Toureg 660 though because of tubeless wheels, suspension, and cruise control. But I know the Yamaha would be the better choice for reliability and maintenance.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
The only "update" they could have done to get me to consider a new purchase would have been to get it back down to it's 2014 weight of ~460 lbs. This thing is ridiculous heavy for a 650.
The current Tracer 7 is said to be 432 lbs wet weight. Too bad we can't get it here, and even if we could the lack of cruise would probably keep me from purchasing.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
I'm honestly considering a used 2014 versys 650 and "adventurise" it. The 7.1 inch of ground clearance and relatively light weight make it a decent option for me. I had a 2008 V650 I loved but I want the abs so the 2014 model is the unicorn for me.
My 2011 Versys had almost $4000 in upgrades/changes to it and was the perfect all rounder. Work travel riding requirements changed and I had to opportunity to get a super price for it so I let it go. It was the one bike that I kept saying "If I can only one bike in my current stable, the Versys 650 would be it." Back then I was practical with motorcycles. Now I am more just using motorcycles for fun. But eventually, (sooner than later) I will retire and won't be able to trade out bikes so I am really researching what do I want to carry into retirement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts