Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Might be a silly question but looking at the gear calculators the Stock/44T appears to be nearly the same as the 15/42 - why the 15/42 over the Stock/44 arrangement?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Might be a silly question but looking at the gear calculators the Stock/44T appears to be nearly the same as the 15/42 - why the 15/42 over the Stock/44 arrangement?
stock is 15/46 so the difference is +-0/-4

·
Registered
363 Posts
Is this mostly a 3rd gen thing? In the land of 80mph speed limits I honestly find the vibes are less bad at 6000rpm (what I'm turning at an indicated 83mph with stock sprockets) than they are between 4000-5500, of course the lower gearing also helps with performance at Colorado and Wyoming elevations where you can go from 5000-12,000ft on a single ride.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks,

"Stock/44" was referring to the stock front sprocket (15T) and a 44T rear vs the stock (15) front and a 42T rear - just me being a bit inarticulate...

I'd seen quite a few people go with the 42 over the 44T and was wondering about their experience, was going with the 15/42 worth the ~10% torque loss to get more "highway" out of the Versys, if they liked it as much/better than the 44T rear.

Turning 5100 RPM vs 5600 at 75mph does sound appealing, but I'm perfectly happy with the 15/44 setup I have now.

Reactions: quexpress

·
Registered
4 Posts
This should come standard on the bike.
Much better gearing all around, especially on the highway.

While it's not perfect - 6th gear should, IMHO, be an overdrive or they should have added a 7th - it's nearly so.
Best mod I've made so far.
Best Mod I’ve given My Versys, i always ride on highways & cant believe how much calmer the bike rides, much less vibration, & just a liiiittle loss in torque, but much comfier highway cruising, still super fun on the twisties!

·
Registered
235 Posts
If I already have the 16T up front, any recommendations for the rear sprocket? Or should I leave the stock 46T in place?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts