Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should come standard on the bike.
Much better gearing all around, especially on the highway.

While it's not perfect - 6th gear should, IMHO, be an overdrive or they should have added a 7th - it's nearly so.
Best mod I've made so far.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
im running a 42 rear and find it to be perfect, speedometer is spot on, 70mph is right around 5k rpm and still can wheelie first and second gear and pull 110mph 2-up with the givi sail up front

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Have either of you tried the 16t front for comparison?
no, im not a fan of making the tolerances tat tight between the chain and case and the maths say a 14/42(3.000) it almost the same as a 15/46 (3.067)

Reactions: Rotten Ronnie

·
Registered
2009 Kawasaki Versys KLE650
88 Posts
I've put myself in a spot where I've a 16t in the garage and a 46t due any day so I'll try this in a year or two.

·
Registered
342 Posts
im running a 42 rear and find it to be perfect, speedometer is spot on, 70mph is right around 5k rpm and still can wheelie first and second gear and pull 110mph 2-up with the givi sail up front
So you are running stock 15T sprocket and changed rear stock 46T to a 42T sprocket. Just want to confirm your configuration.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
So you are running stock 15T sprocket and changed rear stock 46T to a 42T sprocket. Just want to confirm your configuration.
im running a 15T front yes (tho its the 3rd one on it so its far from the stock one its also not the rubber dampened one) but yes on my 08 im running a 15/42 sprockets

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation. Did you notice any difference moving from rubber dampened sprocket i.e more vibration?
no, it had a solid front sprocket on it when i got it so i dont know of any difference.... and i think i wouldnt notice over the vibration of the ****ed up roads , wind buffeting and so on.... its a motorcycle not a v16 cadi, it will vibrate a bit..... but nowhere like a hardley will lol

·
Super Moderator
20,089 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation. Did you notice any difference moving from rubber dampened sprocket i.e more vibration?
I've installed MANY new 15T sprockets, NONE of which were the rubber-damped ones, most (if not ALL) were JT or Sunstar. So the only experience I've had w/ the rubber-damped ones, is from NEW till first sprocket change on each of my three V 650s.

I do NOT notice anything bad about the non-rubber-damped sprockets.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
For anyone interested I've got brand new 43 AND 44 tooth sprockets I'm not going to be using up for sale. $30 shipped each.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've installed MANY new 15T sprockets, NONE of which were the rubber-damped ones, most (if not ALL) were JT or Sunstar. So the only experience I've had w/ the rubber-damped ones, is from NEW till first sprocket change on each of my three V 650s.

I do NOT notice anything bad about the non-rubber-damped sprockets.

:cool:
Thats what I wanted to know. Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
For those running a 16/43 combo, how much room do you have for chain adjustment once the chain starts stretching a bit? Are you near the end limit?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
For those running a 16/43 combo, how much room do you have for chain adjustment once the chain starts stretching a bit? Are you near the end limit?
if you mean the rear wheel is shifted all the way back to the max amount of chain adjustment you can remove a link and have the axle back closer to the front ,

·
Registered
103 Posts
if you mean the rear wheel is shifted all the way back to the max amount of chain adjustment you can remove a link and have the axle back closer to the front ,
Yup, that's what I meant. Wouldn't want to separate a new OEM chain right off the bat. Thx

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went with the 15/43 combo from JT and so far I love it. The speedo is spot on and the RPM is much calmer on the highway. My only complaint with the non-damped sprocket is that I have a slight gear whine I can hear during decel.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Yup, that's what I meant. Wouldn't want to separate a new OEM chain right off the bat. Thx
why not? i almost always do because for some reason sometimes longer lengths of chain are cheaper.... no clue why but hell ill take extra links over not enough any day... and when changing the gearing its not the same length as oem....cutting links is easy just grind the nubs nice and slow and keep it cooled as much as possible (or go old school and use a file like i do)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts