Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on a 44 tooth sprocket when I replaced my chain etc thanks to the info and suggestions I read here on the forum and I'm glad I did. Love it!!

Of course my speedo is out now. Being the rather lazy guy I am I didn't feel like hunting through all 11 pages of posts about how much the thing is out, but my guess was that it was about 10 kmph (being a Canadian) in 6th gear and at highway speeds. (About 4000 rpm).

I was riding with my wife on her (unmodified) Versys and she said we were about 100 to 105 and my speedo was reading 90ish.

Does that seem about accurate to everyone else?

Can the speedo be modified to correct the deviation or do I just need to remember as I ride?

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
Yes - you can get a speedo correction unit, or use a GPS which will show your true speed. Guys here claim that a 16 tooth front corrects the speedo (but puts an error into the ODO) and your 44T 'splits' the difference in correction between 15T stock, and a 16T front.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Most find that the stock Versys speedometer is off and putting on a 44 tooth fixes it. Try comparing it to a GPS.

Mine reads about 9 mph high.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Your wife's stock Versys' speedometer is over by nearly 8%. Yours is now only about 3% over with 44T sprocket (+4.54% gearing). Your tripmeter which was accurate, now reads about 4.5% under actual mileage.

·
Registered
521 Posts
So...if I put a 43 tooth rear sprocket on will my speedo be mph "accurate," but off even more on the tripmeter?

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
So...if I put a 43 tooth rear sprocket on will my speedo be mph "accurate," but off even more on the tripmeter?
Yes sir... Speedometer is very close to accurate with 15/43 or 16/46 sprockets, with tripmeter at about 6% under actual. Odometer starts reading about 6% under actual, only from mileage at which sprocket change was made.
A taller 150/70 rear tire also lowers displayed speed and mileage.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Been on the 44T rear for about 6000km and it works great for me. When my chain gets to worn will replace front sprocket 15T and rear with 44T

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, the speedo is out that much eh? No wonder the cops usually "spot you" a few kph when zapping you with radar! :D

Perhaps I'll just "wing" it until I get myself a gps and can compare the readings of my speedo, my wife's speedo, and the gps all at the same time.

Crazy!! Makes you wonder what to trust!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Wow, the speedo is out that much eh? No wonder the cops usually "spot you" a few kph when zapping you with radar! :D

Perhaps I'll just "wing" it until I get myself a gps and can compare the readings of my speedo, my wife's speedo, and the gps all at the same time.

Crazy!! Makes you wonder what to trust!
Mileposts and a stopwatch. Find some flat, open road, have your pillion time you over X miles at an indicated Y (60 is good), convert to MPH.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I need to change the gearing of my bike. I am looking for suggestions for good gas mileage, and the best long slab riding gearing. The stock gearing leaves it a little buzzy for me on the freeway. Currently I am running stock rear (think its a 44?) and 14 front. It fun to ride like that, but I need it taller. Should I also upgrade to a 520 as well?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I need to change the gearing of my bike. I am looking for suggestions for good gas mileage, and the best long slab riding gearing. The stock gearing leaves it a little buzzy for me on the freeway. Currently I am running stock rear (think its a 44?) and 14 front. It fun to ride like that, but I need it taller. Should I also upgrade to a 520 as well?
If I'm not mistaken, you already have a 520 chain.

Stock front is 15, stock rear is 46. For the highway cruising (commute) I like my 15/43, but it is a tad sluggish at lower speeds. My next will be 15/44.

Good gas mileage? Accelerate slowly, ride 60 mph.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Blasphemy!
Agreed.

To me, the minor gain in money saved by riding like that does not weigh up against the severe loss in fun.

Even with this nasty winter gas, heated grips, heated jacket liner, tall windshield up high, and a sometimes heavy gas hand, I averaged 38.5 mpg these last 3 fuel-ups.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sorry for the trolling, but (for the new users) prepare to lose all the aggressive character of Versys
Rolling acceleration will be much slower and the 6th gear will be over OVER drive, which means ''forget high top speeds''

I tried it some months ago and i kept it only for 2 days
Now i am using 14/45 and i think that it is perfect for this bike

Sorry again for the trolling

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Sorry for the trolling, but (for the new users) prepare to lose all the aggressive character of Versys
Rolling acceleration will be much slower and the 6th gear will be over OVER drive, which means ''forget high top speeds''

I tried it some months ago and i kept it only for 2 days
Now i am using 14/45 and i think that it is perfect for this bike

Sorry again for the trolling
i don't thinking your trolling just sharing a point of view, i have a 44t and it works for me but whatever spins your tyres is what is right for you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
44t

What source are you guys using for a 44t rear? I have a 43t rear but may change to a 44t

1 - 20 of 32 Posts