Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the thoughs of going with a different drive ratio either changing out the front drive or wheel hub sprocket to make it higher.
Really a big difference from the stock ratio performance?
Off hand the rear one looks easier to do.
43/15 would be similar to 46/16 ratio about 2.866 vs 2.875

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I think the front sprocket is a little cheaper & is easier to R2. Pick yer poison & go for it. The end result we be so close, I doubt you could tell the difference.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I did a 43 t on the rear. The big disadvantage here is that the smaller diameter of the 43tooth rear sprocket has a smaller diameter. This makes you chain almost 3/4 the way to the end of its adjustment capability. Changing the from sprocket would not have this adverse affect. The other thing with the 43 sprocket is like adding an extra gear! :thumb:Downside...it takes more rpm to pull wheelies:thumbdown:. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
By the way, IF you go with the front 16T, make sure to get the rubber dampened sprocket. If you get one without the damper, you might get a nasty loud gear whine as you ride. Mine whined so loud, other bikers were complaining. I went back to the stock 15T. Turns out, I like it better...

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Your chain and sprockets should live longer with a 16T as they all now have a larger diameter and the chain doesn't have such a tight radius to go around. Side by side, the 16T is noticeably larger than than the 15T. Easier to change the front providing you have an impact wrench. Either way..DO IT.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
That looks nice.
You take any links out of the chain for the rear sprocket install?
I was thinking it might make it without taking any links with the wheel adjusted back.
I installed one of those, and the axle is in the middle of its adjustment range. No problem.

·
Registered
430 Posts
By the way, IF you go with the front 16T, make sure to get the rubber dampened sprocket. ...
I had my bike in for its first service and had the dealer install the 16T sprocket that I bought from Bike Bandit for $34.78. On my service receipt, it said "front sprocket is very close to chain guide at engine case."

It rode fine on the way home on the Baltimore Beltway. I liked having the speedometer match my GPS. It's hard to claim that a few hundred RPMs makes a difference, but it seemed like it. I didn't notice much as low speed.

Tony

·
Registered
699 Posts
That looks nice.
You take any links out of the chain for the rear sprocket install?
I was thinking it might make it without taking any links with the wheel adjusted back.
Like TTpete said, there is plenty of adjustment range left over. Approx a 1/3 of the range.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I had my bike in for its first service and had the dealer install the 16T sprocket that I bought from Bike Bandit for $34.78. On my service receipt, it said "front sprocket is very close to chain guide at engine case."

It rode fine on the way home on the Baltimore Beltway. I liked having the speedometer match my GPS. It's hard to claim that a few hundred RPMs makes a difference, but it seemed like it. I didn't notice much as low speed.

Tony
What they probably mean is that the 16T takes up a lot of space in there but not to worry, it fits. There is no way a 17T would fit. The 16T is substantially larger than a 15T.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts