Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a 42 tooth rear sprocket recently. The temperature got up to 55 yesterday so I took the girl out for a short sixty mile ride. I love the results! All my other bikes have fairly tall first gears so I guess I'm used to slipping the clutch a bit off the mark. On the interstate I'm guessing it dropped the revs by 600 rpm. 70 mph indicated shows right at 5000 rpm. Maybe it's not for everyone but I like it.:)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I installed a 42 tooth rear sprocket recently. The temperature got up to 55 yesterday so I took the girl out for a short sixty mile ride. I love the results! All my other bikes have fairly tall first gears so I guess I'm used to slipping the clutch a bit off the mark. On the interstate I'm guessing it dropped the revs by 600 rpm. 70 mph indicated shows right at 5000 rpm. Maybe it's not for everyone but I like it.:)
WOW I've got a 44 and like the reduced RPM's @ highway speeds, the 42 must be even better. It must be quite a slug in the lower RPM range with no chance of doing a wheelstand for sure.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Regardless of the sprockets you use, your Versys will show 5000 rpm at 70 mph (in 6th gear), since the speedometer is driven off the output shaft.

You will get that reading if you take the chain and rear wheel off and run it up to 70 on a swingarm stand! (Not recommended.)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Regardless of the sprockets you use, your Versys will show 5000 rpm at 70 mph (in 6th gear), since the speedometer is driven off the output shaft.

You will get that reading if you take the chain and rear wheel off and run it up to 70 on a swingarm stand! (Not recommended.)
:huh: I beg to differ.
When I changed from an OEM 46 tooth rear sprocket to a 44 tooth my RPM's DID CHANGE at various speeds.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
With the new final drive ratio the speedo will read closer to actual speed but the odo will now be off. I believe the tach reads from somehere else. So I have to throw in w/ Mr Alaska

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
42? That is tall and I believe taller than 16 front. Invader had a chart of ratio's on thread, rpm change at speeds with gearing. 44 closest to true so I understand from many gps guesstiments. :thumb: :goodluck:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
:huh: I beg to differ.
When I changed from an OEM 46 tooth rear sprocket to a 44 tooth my RPM's DID CHANGE at various speeds.
How are you measuring your speed? By a GPS unit or by your stock speedometer? They will give different readings when you put a 42 tooth on your bike. The GPS gives the most correct speed.

The speedometer will always show 70 mph at 5,000 rpm, because the speedometer is driven off the countershaft sprocket. But now you are actually traveling faster than 70 mph at 5,000 rpm, with a 42 tooth sprocket in back and a stock sprocket in front. Do the math, it works. :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chain adjustment is darn near the max (all the way back) with a new stock length chain. At some point I will have to shorten it up a bit!

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
...70 mph indicated shows right at 5000 rpm. Maybe it's not for everyone but I like it.:)
...which is the SAME indication as stock....

How are you measuring your speed? By a GPS unit or by your stock speedometer? They will give different readings when you put a 42 tooth on your bike. The GPS gives the most correct speed.

The speedometer will always show 70 mph at 5,000 rpm, because the speedometer is driven off the countershaft sprocket. But now you are actually traveling faster than 70 mph at 5,000 rpm, with a 42 tooth sprocket in back and a stock sprocket in front. Do the math, it works. :thumb:
Like "trialsguy" said.... Watch it - you're going FASTER than your indicated now!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Who wants to ride on the interstate anyway? My versys is my farm roads touring bike. Set the GPS on shortest route, avoid highways and have a great adventure.
shortest route? I'll agree with bypassing the slabs out there and heading straight to the twisties...That's the reason I got this bike..but I'll add as many twisty roads to that trip as I can possibly pack in the time allowed...the slabs around here ARE the shortest route...got to love Oregon...

:cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts