Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All.

1. If the 2015 features an "all new" one piece exhaust unit, where did the previous versions "separate" at?
* A Kawi tech where I purchased my LT said the 650 p-twin "cousins" have always had a single piece exhaust. He said the Scorpion on my 2009 ER-6N was installed after the cat was cut away (I'm the second owner).

2. If I want to just install a slip on for my LT, I will need to cut the pipe before the cat? Just confirming.

3. When you install an aftermarket full system, do you essentially compromise the EPA "friendliness"? I know there is usually positive weight loss, but how does that impact emissions and fuel economy?

I greatly apologize for my ignorance on the subject, but I'm trying to learn this dark art. Lol. Thanks in advance for any info :)

·
Premium Member
16,265 Posts
The exhaust hooks to the header. Just take off the old exhaust and "Slip-On" a slip-on.

Heres when i put on some SS Headers to my Yoshi exhaust. The stock exhaust or a slip-on will connect to the end of the header.....Getting rid of the stock exhaust will get rid of about 13lbs i believe.

IMG_1497 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
16,265 Posts
The only reason i got an aftermarket exhaust was for the looks and weight loss. If i had to do it over again i would save the money and get something really needed for the bike... Put aftermarket exhaust on the FJR also. Looked and sounded great but the popping drove me crazy so i put the stock exhaust back on..

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 2015's exhaust is ALL ONE PIECE so there is no longer a "slip-on" option weljo. Unless as the OP stated he cuts the can off in the mid pipe area. I'm sure the aftermarket will catch up with the Gen 3 changes and start making some options for exhaust. But they will be quite spendy due to the 1 piece design. I was fortunate on my 2011, it didn't have an 02 sensor and was a 2 piece design. Good luck

·
Premium Member
16,265 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yes The new versys is a one piece unit. Look for options on the 2013 and newer ninja 650 Ex650 as I believe they use the same exhaust and oil pan.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info everyone!! I definitely understand better :) So, regarding emissions and fuel economy, is that pretty much tossed once you make the mod?

·
Premium Member
16,265 Posts
Thanks for all the info everyone!! I definitely understand better :) So, regarding emissions and fuel economy, is that pretty much tossed once you make the mod?

Gets rid of the Cat but i still got over 50mpg most of the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts