Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Miles really doesn't have anything to do with it. It's on the annual maintenance checklist: front forks/rear shock absorbers oil leak inspect. I've had bikes that never ever leaked. I've had some seals that went early. It's a wear part, from what I understand.

·
Registered
744 Posts
you can try and put some Vaseline on the forks close to the seal and compress the forks . Sometimes it might be a little piece of dirt that is making it leak and the Vaseline will push the dirt away.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I went ahead and bought the seals for both forks, also the dust caps. It will be all installed next week, bummer

·
Registered
384 Posts
Before you do it, run a bit of camera film or similar under the seal and all around. Sometimes a bit of dirt gets there and holds the seal open, this cleans it out and stops the leak.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the thing is that it has already lost at least 2 ounces of fluid, and I would not like to leave one fork oil level too low. Nice idea.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Of course you'll need to add some fluid, but if you get the dirt out it saves you the PITA of taking the forks all the way apart and it is a good trick to know if it happens again before that much fluid is lost.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Which fork is it? As I understand it, only one fork (the right?) has any damping action. The other is only a spring. It may be the case (I don't know) that fluid is not essential in the other fork. I wonder how important the seal is on the side with no damping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts