Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
8,851 Posts
Givi Trekker 33 and SW Motech Crash Bars / MotoWerk Highway

I hear ya. I just turned 72 and certainly didn't plan on dropping my bike. I never dropped the Vulcan 1500. I was lucky, only having to replace the front brake lever. What crash bars and trekker cases are you using? I'm still researching add-ons for mine.

My old barkbuster setup

My current setup

SW Motech mounting

·
Registered
512 Posts
To consider: I’m 6ft and can flat foot the Versys in stock form. I didn’t feel the bike was overly top heavy compared to some bikes I’ve had like my 1990 Yamaha Venture Royale. After reading so many reports about people dropping their Versys and my multiple brushes with Vertigo, I decided to go with The Motowerk lowering kit and I’m very glad I did.

The change to the lower center of gravity is very noticeable. To me, any feeling of top heaviness is gone. The bike is so much easier to move around at low speed and I can’t detect any detriment to handling. Since I don’t do any off pavement riding with this bike, the reduced ground clearance isn’t an issue.

·
Administrator
8,851 Posts

My current setup

What saddle-bag mounts do you have Glen?
SW Motech , sort of like expensive crash bars>:) , so far two low speed crashes. Enough room I can crawl out. Notice the cross brace at the back, only downside is they are starting to rust this year. I may rattle can them later if this covid continues. On the up side I got a mesh tie down from Fortnine all with my EBC brake shoes, what a huge difference in braking. So kind of funny today, dam cold out so went for a somer sauge run, yes where in Canada are stores closed on a Monday, Elmira Ont. So I had my full face helmet & 8210 mask, I discovered it has a advantage, my facesheild doesn't fog up ( plus 5'C )and a online order at Home depot, 2 days after ordering a motion sensor it is ready. So I did a grocery shop, yup helmet, gear , mask and about 30 LBs later, my top box is full and I have my mesh tie down with about 15 pounds. So now I can carry about 48 cobs of corn:grin2:

·
Registered
530 Posts
To consider: I’m 6ft and can flat foot the Versys in stock form. I didn’t feel the bike was overly top heavy compared to some bikes I’ve had like my 1990 Yamaha Venture Royale. After reading so many reports about people dropping their Versys and my multiple brushes with Vertigo, I decided to go with The Motowerk lowering kit and I’m very glad I did.

The change to the lower center of gravity is very noticeable. To me, any feeling of top heaviness is gone. The bike is so much easier to move around at low speed and I can’t detect any detriment to handling. Since I don’t do any off pavement riding with this bike, the reduced ground clearance isn’t an issue.
Agree. Ive got lowered everything,including seat, with raised bars and Im glad I did. I didnt need the offroad clearance and I find lower is nicer for road riding.. At 5 foot 8 I still have my boots modified by a cobbler with a raised heel for some flat foot. And it seems once a year I let my guard down at a stop or low speed jockeying and cant keep it upright. When that bigger gas tank on the Gen 3 is full and the ground sloped it can catch you napping!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bought mine new first coupla days of Jan this year. Late Christmas present for me. Dropped it today in the garage. Slick concrete, the tires were sliding I had to get help to get it up
Crash/engine guards 1 small scratch on the bottom of the pannier.Maybe it was already there? Let's just go with no damage. I'm lucky

·
Registered
9 Posts
Haven't dropped mine since I bought it in November. But total disclosure - I did drop it in the sellers garage the first time I got on it. Didn't hurt the bike or myself - so very lucky. Close to dropping it twice since, but not since installing the lower link (T-Rex Racing). Also lowered the forks by about 1". So much more comfortable with the bike since I lowered it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The T-Rex lowering link works fine. In my new member thread I describe - in probably too much detail - the installation. I shortened the side stand by cutting a little over an inch out of the middle and tapped both ends. Then used the threaded part (about 3" length) of a cut down bolt to join the ends. Had to grind a little to get the ends to clock into the right position. But it's solid. Used a 3/4-10 tap and the red Locktite. Also raised the forks by about 1".

·
Registered
530 Posts
The Motowerk side stand shortening kit provides everything you need (except the hack saw) and comes with excellent instructions.
And the thing I about the Motowerk side stand kit was that I could experiment with how much lean angle I could have. I took 3 passes and now have my perfect stable, all purpose parking lean!

·
Registered
30 Posts
The thing I can't get by is $89 for the T Rex as opposed to $189 for Motowerk link even if it does have the side stand coupler

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Second ride - first drop. Yeah, it happened already. I didn't even get out of the neighborhood good. Came to a slight up hill stop sign with intention to turn right. Got the bike leaning over too far to the right on the wonky hill and couldn't hold it up so down it went. Fortunately some guys saw it happen and came to help. Not sure I could have gotten it back up by myself because of the slope of the street. Anyway, they got the bike up and we rolled it back down to a level spot. As far as I can tell the only damage is a bent brake lever and a little scuff on the end of the handle bar. So I thanked the guys and said "Well, I can either go home or keep riding. I'm gonna keep riding". Went on to have a nice little ride after that. Now I have to decide on whether to go to the local shop to get a lever or order one. Doggone thing is pretty expensive for what it is. It is still usable, obviously, or I wouldn't have kept riding. As they say, "stuff" happens. I'm sure the wife isn't going to be too happy about it though. She was hoping I would sell the Vulcan and not get another.
They should make crash bars standard on all adv type bikes for this reason. Get some they make this kind of thing painless and harmless and usually pay for themselves in prevented damage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dropped mine on a test ride from the owner. Learned VERY quickly V's have a point of no-return. I immediately thought to myself "You just bought yourself a motorcycle". SOMEHOW, no damage was done beyond bar end scratch. An absolute miracle. Went through with the deal and haven't looked back. Just recently put on barkbuster and SW Motech crash bars because heaven knows that checks in the mail for a future date. I love my V but man are they top-heavy. It's not even so much the height as that full tank of gas sitting so high.

·
Registered
530 Posts
It's not even so much the height as that full tank of gas sitting so high.
Yea after a long day and you fill up....say 5 gallons. Thats 30lbs. Up high. You're a little tired. Stop at some suddenly, surprisingly uneven ground. Im okay in motion it seems(as things in motion tend to stay in motion) but a standing drop usually gets me once a year. Im 5 foot 8 and everything lowered as I dont off road on my 650. On the plus side, gives me an reason to do some pullups and pushups!:wink2:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Knock on wood I haven't dropped the Versys yet but probably will at some point. I've dropped every bike I've had except the HD Sportster. Usually, it's because a foot slips on gravel or whatever and once you go past the point of no return the bikes going down.

Out of all the drops, no real significant damage though other than small scrapes. Crash bars pretty much are going to pay for themselves.

I just have accepted gravity is going to win once and a while.

My dad dropped a BMW F800GT rental once, that was expensive plastic.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts