Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second ride - first drop. Yeah, it happened already. I didn't even get out of the neighborhood good. Came to a slight up hill stop sign with intention to turn right. Got the bike leaning over too far to the right on the wonky hill and couldn't hold it up so down it went. Fortunately some guys saw it happen and came to help. Not sure I could have gotten it back up by myself because of the slope of the street. Anyway, they got the bike up and we rolled it back down to a level spot. As far as I can tell the only damage is a bent brake lever and a little scuff on the end of the handle bar. So I thanked the guys and said "Well, I can either go home or keep riding. I'm gonna keep riding". Went on to have a nice little ride after that. Now I have to decide on whether to go to the local shop to get a lever or order one. Doggone thing is pretty expensive for what it is. It is still usable, obviously, or I wouldn't have kept riding. As they say, "stuff" happens. I'm sure the wife isn't going to be too happy about it though. She was hoping I would sell the Vulcan and not get another.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Was pulling a hard right into a parking space right after I got my bike and still moving faster than I should have been, took my foot off my back brake to set on the ground and gave just a touch to much front brake and down she went. That's when I understood what my friends called the wicked ground magnet. I also stalled at an intersection on a hill like you described and had a hell of a time getting started, braking, etc.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Arrgh, I feel your pain. I had that happen twice over a period of two years in almost the same circumstances although I toppled over the left. It happened on my venerable '93 BMW K75S, a very nice machine that only had two drawbacks - it was heavy and it was top heavy as well. When in motion it was as smooth as a turbine and a hoot to ride, but when moving very slowly it was just heavy, and with very short bars there wasn't much leverage to wrestle it back to an upright position.

With my neighbor's help we put it back on its wheels (no damage at all!) and, much to my neighbor's surprise, I went off on the ride I'd planned. That was a much better decision than putting it back in the garage and then sitting there feeling sorry for myself.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Second ride - first drop. Yeah, it happened already. I didn't even get out of the neighborhood good. Came to a slight up hill stop sign with intention to turn right. Got the bike leaning over too far to the right on the wonky hill and couldn't hold it up so down it went. Fortunately some guys saw it happen and came to help. Not sure I could have gotten it back up by myself because of the slope of the street. Anyway, they got the bike up and we rolled it back down to a level spot. As far as I can tell the only damage is a bent brake lever and a little scuff on the end of the handle bar. So I thanked the guys and said "Well, I can either go home or keep riding. I'm gonna keep riding". Went on to have a nice little ride after that. Now I have to decide on whether to go to the local shop to get a lever or order one. Doggone thing is pretty expensive for what it is. It is still usable, obviously, or I wouldn't have kept riding. As they say, "stuff" happens. I'm sure the wife isn't going to be too happy about it though. She was hoping I would sell the Vulcan and not get another.
I dropped my Vulcan 1600 in the middle of a banked two lane road while trying to do a slow U-turn. Took three of us to get that beast (850 lbs+) back on it's rubber!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Like you said, stuff happens

I haven't dropped it yet, but I've come close! It doesn't pull away from stop signs like my 2003 Connie. It's a real different ride for me. This past week I stalled it turning left to go up a hill. I was facing on oncoming dump truck. He was waving me on and I flubbed it because I wasn't 100% sure he was gonna slow down. He was coming in kinda hot. My buddy was right behind me... It all worked out ok but that was scary enough... She's good girl. Now that you've got that out of the way, ride on mate! I still find myself in awe and grinning from ear to ear when I ride it. It's like an adult size dirt bike for the street. Enjoy.

Gerry

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
...Now I have to decide on whether to go to the local shop to get a lever or order one. Doggone thing is pretty expensive for what it is....
I replaced the levers on BOTH my V650s w/ shorty levers as onewizard posted (but NOT because I had busted them!), and LOVE them! Also VERY inexpensive from Ebay.

P5084644 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

>:)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Oops. BTDT but under different circumstances. BTW, a really good idea is to remove the metal clips that squeeze into the rubber mount of the turn signal on the inside. The signal will stay in place just fine and not break the fairing if you happen to land on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I removed the metal plates from my blinkers when I had my fairings off to install my OEM fog lights. They flex like I would want them to with ground contact but are still securely on the fairing...win win!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I dropped my new Versys 1000 on Good Friday under almost the exact same conditions. I scuffed my hand guard and put a scratch (noticeable to me every time I get ready to ride) on my exhaust muffler. Biggest difference was no one came to help me. I guess they didn’t want to give up their place in the waiting line to get into the butcher shop! Most damage was done to my pride 😞.
Seriously though, check out Moto Jitsu on YouTube. He has some good low speed start/turn drills. I have come a long way in re-discovering control in the friction zone.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dropped mine the second day in the garage. Couldn't pick it up because it kept sliding on the smooth concrete. Luckily one of my sons was at the house to help.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Lol, we've all dropped a bike at least once doing something stupid!

There are some excellent YouTube videos about how to make low speed turns.

On the V with the high center of gravity and with the gearing as it is, slipping the clutch in low speed situations can really help prevent drops.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have to wear thick soled boots to even tiptoe, but my Vstrom was the same way, and I never dropped that. So I've passed on adding crashbars, hoping I can keep up my good luck and cat like agility/balance! lol :grin2:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm an inexperienced rider. (less than 18 months when you take out the winter months of non riding) My first bike was a Rebel 300 because I heard they were good first bikes. It was good to learn on, but it wasn't for me. I realized I'm not a cruiser guy. (and also the fact that the single cylinder vibrated like a paint mixer.) Sold it an upgraded to the Versys 650. The seat is so much higher, the center of gravity is so much higher and the 40lbs of gas is also up high. I wasn't accustomed to this. I had the bike 10 days and was riding out in the back roads of Ohio. I'm on the outskirts of a small town and there's a detour. I skipped the detour, thinking I could find a way through what looks like a residential area. It turns out to be only two streets, and one of them is very steep. So steep I didn't know it was a dead end until I'm on top of it. No guard rail, signs or anything. It just ends. So I'm stopped on this very steep dead end, and I start to turn around. Well, the top heavy 650 got a little lean, and that's all it needs. It was a slow turn, which makes it harder to manage. I went down, in slow motion. I knew I was in trouble, I hit the hand break hard so I could put my left foot down. But there was already too much lean, so in slow motion, I dropped the bike.

$3800 worth of damage. And the gear shifter was jammed up into the bike so I couldn't shift. I had to wait there to be towed. I'm at the accident scene, and I'm talking to the insurance company, and she made the slightest comment about 'you just bought the thing". (not anywhere near a direct quote.) It was as if I could hear her roll her eyes over the phone.

Now I have more experience with the bike and am aware of how top heavy it is. But it's always in the back of my mind.

·
Administrator
8,847 Posts
Dropping is Normal/ Admitting, not so

I'm an inexperienced rider. (less than 18 months when you take out the winter months of non riding) My first bike was a Rebel 300 because I heard they were good first bikes. It was good to learn on, but it wasn't for me. I realized I'm not a cruiser guy. (and also the fact that the single cylinder vibrated like a paint mixer.) Sold it an upgraded to the Versys 650. The seat is so much higher, the center of gravity is so much higher and the 40lbs of gas is also up high. I wasn't accustomed to this. I had the bike 10 days and was riding out in the back roads of Ohio. I'm on the outskirts of a small town and there's a detour. I skipped the detour, thinking I could find a way through what looks like a residential area. It turns out to be only two streets, and one of them is very steep. So steep I didn't know it was a dead end until I'm on top of it. No guard rail, signs or anything. It just ends. So I'm stopped on this very steep dead end, and I start to turn around. Well, the top heavy 650 got a little lean, and that's all it needs. It was a slow turn, which makes it harder to manage. I went down, in slow motion. I knew I was in trouble, I hit the hand break hard so I could put my left foot down. But there was already too much lean, so in slow motion, I dropped the bike.

$3800 worth of damage. And the gear shifter was jammed up into the bike so I couldn't shift. I had to wait there to be towed. I'm at the accident scene, and I'm talking to the insurance company, and she made the slightest comment about 'you just bought the thing". (not anywhere near a direct quote.) It was as if I could hear her roll her eyes over the phone.

Now I have more experience with the bike and am aware of how top heavy it is. But it's always in the back of my mind.
Yes at 70, no one plans to drop the bike, replaced my left side panel on the 2015 in 2018, replaced my left turn signal 2019 with a ninja 650 from a wrecker. Turning left from a stop and had a blind spot, on a downward sloped to left paved road and a car appears , he stopped , otherwise I could have gone around him, already moving with angle to left, just wasn't able to recover, full tank of fuel, down we go.
I added admitting in the title, not everyone wants to admit to dropping , however,I have all the scrapes to prove it, my bike has character , fortunately with the crash bars, the trekker cases, the highway pegs, the barkbusters. I can ride away from a low speed crash, FYI I removed the metal retainer in the signal lights, however the lens broke the last time, hence the ninja lights.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes at 70, no one plans to drop the bike, replaced my left side panel on the 2015 in 2018, replaced my left turn signal 2019 with a ninja 650 from a wrecker. Turning left from a stop and had a blind spot, on a downward sloped to left paved road and a car appears , he stopped , otherwise I could have gone around him, already moving with angle to left, just wasn't able to recover, full tank of fuel, down we go.
I added admitting in the title, not everyone wants to admit to dropping , however,I have all the scrapes to prove it, my bike has character , fortunately with the crash bars, the trekker cases, the highway pegs, the barkbusters. I can ride away from a low speed crash, FYI I removed the metal retainer in the signal lights, however the lens broke the last time, hence the ninja lights.
I hear ya. I just turned 72 and certainly didn't plan on dropping my bike. I never dropped the Vulcan 1500. I was lucky, only having to replace the front brake lever. What crash bars and trekker cases are you using? I'm still researching add-ons for mine.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts