Registered
842 Posts
Where did you go?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the late reply gang,

Went to Amish country/ Lancaster PA area for 8 days staying at a bed and breakfast. The Mrs. is a flyweight...5ft tall 120lbs and the seat is a sergeant seat which she also had a Alaska leather sheepskin/gel pad. Overall a huge improvement over the stock seat which killed my rump after 2 hours, no such issue with the sergeant while the wife said the sergeant was a big improvement over the stock as well. We took frequent breaks...every 2 hours at the wifes request.

We did the same trip 5 years ago on a Goldwing and the wife has stated she won't go again unless she's on a Goldwing type motorcycle. Will be picking up a full tour rig next year.....wing or whatever offers ABS with excellent passenger ergos so Voyager/victory cross country tour/vision/HD electra glide/road glide ultra/ indian road chief are all on the list of full dressers to look at.
Keeping the V650 though so win on my part.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Just returned from a 3,000+ mile trip 2 up, bike did great.
Wow! That's a pile of luggage - hard cases, rear trunk, tank bag and tank panniers! That's almost - just almost - enough room for my charming wife to load her essential stuff. I'd have to mail my gear ahead. :laugh2:

How did you find the bike handled with all that equipment and hear aboard? I gather pretty well or you might have discussed it otherwise. I've always been reluctant to mount a large tail trunk that high and that rearward, but apparently it isn't as bad as I believe it would be. I'm apparently "old school" in that I feel comfortable if things are mounted low and "within the triangle." Maybe it's a case of teaching an old dog new tricks?

Regardless, it's evident the Versys is a pretty good pack horse. Well done Kawasaki.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! That's a pile of luggage - hard cases, rear trunk, tank bag and tank panniers! That's almost - just almost - enough room for my charming wife to load her essential stuff. I'd have to mail my gear ahead. :laugh2:

How did you find the bike handled with all that equipment and hear aboard? I gather pretty well or you might have discussed it otherwise. I've always been reluctant to mount a large tail trunk that high and that rearward, but apparently it isn't as bad as I believe it would be. I'm apparently "old school" in that I feel comfortable if things are mounted low and "within the triangle." Maybe it's a case of teaching an old dog new tricks?

Regardless, it's evident the Versys is a pretty good pack horse. Well done Kawasaki.

First off sorry for the late reply, need to check around more often.

I'm 240lbs, the wife 120 and all the luggage was basically full or close to it. I adjusted the rear preload up to one click off max and the bike did just fine. I did chew the stock rear up at just shy under 5k miles but I live in Western NC so lots of twisty stuff on a daily basis. The gen 3 has the "big man" rear shock and does great when loaded up. Even with the bike fully loaded it never felt like the rear was sagged and I enjoyed the blue ridge parkway / skyline drive from start to finish with no issues to speak of handling wise other than braking which I am extra careful with the wife on board anyways.

I've utilized a large rear trunk on just about every bike I've owned and use them 100% of the time so can't really give any insight on a difference without them. With my 2015 even with a fully loaded trunk there isn't anything there handling wise that stands out thanks to the stiff rear spring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts