Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello good folks of Kawasaki versys forums! I've been riding my 2014 650 vs abs since November of 13 and been loving it! But the time is come and my commute is grown and it looks like it's going to be 45 to 70 miles a day between Sf and South Bay and I'm thinking of going to a smaller steel sprocket to go the distance and you guys are just the community to get feedback from. I had to look at and www.gearingcommander.com and going from a 46 tooth (rear, stock) to the popular 42 tooth doesn't seem like that big of a difference, I think I want to go to a 38 tooth instead. That would drop the revs by a thousandRPM on the highway @75mph and seems like more of a substantial use of $30. Can anyone with experience or knowledge give me their thoughts? My chain is nearing the end of its useful life and the time is near. Thanks!

·
Registered
358 Posts
With a 16 – front or a 43 – rear, you are still having to slightly feather the clutch taking off. In my humble opinion a 38 Would Be Way too high a gearing. Taking off would be an adventure every single time. Especially on a hill. I have a 16 and I wouldn't even think about going to a higher gearing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I wouldn't want to drop it down anymore - I like that my speedometer is accurate now but dropping the rpm on the highway more would just start to put it itno the vibration zone and make slow technical stuff harder.

·
Super Moderator
19,630 Posts
...I think I want to go to a 38 tooth instead. That would drop the revs by a thousandRPM on the highway @75mph and seems like more of a substantial use of $30. Can anyone with experience or knowledge give me their thoughts? My chain is nearing the end of its useful life and the time is near. Thanks!
My math calls THAT a 21% change - WAY-Y-Y too much. You will NOT like it.

FWIW - on my '08 I get as much as low-60s mpg (usually around 56 mpgUS) w/ stock gearing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts