Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
the Versys 650 used a somewhat similar frame/subframe compared to the ER6 sportbikes at one time, but not for the past 10 years.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the Versys 650 used a somewhat similar frame/subframe compared to the ER6 sportbikes at one time, but not for the past 10 years.
The sports bike similarity means that a year off is likely for improving the display, adding TC, or emissions, but not for retooling for a 19" front with the same fork travel.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
The sports bike similarity means that a year off is likely for improving the display, adding TC, or emissions, but not for retooling for a 19" front with the same fork travel.
sorry, i thought we were talking about engines/frames, and didn't realize you were thinking about suspension/wheels too.

sportbikes in the ER6 lineup never took a year off when various changes and improvements were made. why would changes to the Versys now require a model year lapse when it hasn't taken place in the history of this particular bike as new generations were introduced?

·
Registered
3 Posts
May also have to do with part shortages. Since the Versys 650 was overdue for a update they shelved it to free up parts and materials for other bikes. Also gives dealers more time to dump 2021 650s before update is announced making them hard to move.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry, i thought we were talking about engines/frames, and didn't realize you were thinking about suspension/wheels too.

sportbikes in the ER6 lineup never took a year off when various changes and improvements were made. why would changes to the Versys now require a model year lapse when it hasn't taken place in the history of this particular bike as new generations were introduced?
I said that the Versys' sportsbike style engine/frame is at a practical limit (33" / 476 #). This means that it may be harder to engineer any change that isn't just software/internals. OTOH, the Triumph Tiger 660 has at least one real improvement over the Versys besides electronics/rider aids. The rear tire is 2/10 wider. So maybe K is retooling, and even adding a 19" front the way Honda did with the 500x. That could cause a skipped year. Suzuki did it for 2011's V-strom (with no wheel size change).

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I said that the Versys' sportsbike style engine/frame is at a practical limit (33" / 476 #). This means that it may be harder to engineer any change that isn't just software/internals. OTOH, the Triumph Tiger 660 has at least one real improvement over the Versys besides electronics/rider aids. The rear tire is 2/10 wider. So maybe K is retooling, and even adding a 19" front the way Honda did with the 500x. That could cause a skipped year. Suzuki did it for 2011's V-strom (with no wheel size change).
i don't agree. you must know that Kawasaki now uses the JIS equivalent moly frame in a lattice type design on the ER6 sportbikes, similar to what KTM does routinely, and at a 35# weight saving. there's nothing that prevents them to using a lighter frame on the Versys, although i don't care for some aspects of the sportbike frame. the 650 motor could be tuned to 75HP, or it could be punched to 700cc with no change in reliability. the front suspension is easily upgraded with systems right off the shelf, while the rear suspension goes linked like their other models. notice, no skipped model years.

wider rear tire?, Versys 650 riders on this very forum run the 170/60 rear tire, no fitment issues, and that size works really well. for a fact, i just mounted a new 170/60 yesterday.

my conclusion has always been that the Versys could stay around for additional generations of that model, but what Kawasaki ultimately does with the bike is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
402 Posts
They have another release of three new motorcycles in November. Maybe we'll be seeing an updated Versys 650 then???

·
Registered
3 Posts
They have another release of three new motorcycles in November. Maybe we'll be seeing an updated Versys 650 then???
Could be they knew the Tiger 660 was coming so they with held announcements of an updated model to tailor their marketing around it after Triumph showed its hand.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Could be they knew the Tiger 660 was coming so they with held announcements of an updated model to tailor their marketing around it after Triumph showed its hand.
The new Tiger looks really nice. I’m just frustrated that they market it as a sport tourer, and it’s throttle by wire, but they omitted cruise control.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The 650 is missing from the Canadian Kawasaki website too...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just checked the Kawasaki EU website and the 2022 model is also not present. So either there won't be a 2022 model, or it is one of the 3 updated models they plan to announce in November.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I always thought versys gen 3 is overdue for uplift. Gen 1 - 2 years, gen 2 - 4 years, gen 3 - 6 years.
I guess we will see similar front end like ninja and versys 1k at very least.
A feature or two would be nice as well as versys 650 cant literally go more basic as is now

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
I always thought versys gen 3 is overdue for uplift. Gen 1 - 2 years, gen 2 - 4 years, gen 3 - 6 years.
I guess we will see similar front end like ninja and versys 1k at very least.
A feature or two would be nice as well as versys 650 cant literally go more basic as is now
Kawasaki is a difficult company to figure out when it comes to updating motorcycles. The went for many years without updating most of their lineup. They had bikes that ran 20 years without any updates. They came out with many new models towards the end of the 2000s right around the time of the '08 recession. Because they had all these new models they actually performed better than most of their competition since there were less dollars out there to be spent on bikes.

They pretty much abandoned the cruiser lineup, other than adding the Vulcan S based on the 650 platform (which by the way is never mentioned in videos about the 650 platform) they pretty much let the Vulcan line go stale over the last 10 years.

I'm glad to see that they have done some refreshing of the Dual Sport lineup although pretty minor updates. Enough to get bikes sold, but not enough to get most Kawasaki Dual Sport owners to trade.

Bikes involved in racing will always get updated. Pretty much a given, but man the prices have soared on those types of bikes on or off road.

I personally don't understand Kawasaki coming out with the Versys 1000 SE+ without coming out with the Ninja 1000 SE+ or a Concours 1400 SE+.

Before you all think that I am a Kawasaki Hater, here is my stable of bikes in 2014. I moved away from Kawasaki because the competition left them behind.

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
MK3 Versys 650
47 Posts
I'll be really pissed off if they finally update the Versys right after I got another one. Same thing happened in 2014, first time they offered it with ABS and next year it was updated... :mad:

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
I'll be really pissed off if they finally update the Versys right after I got another one. Same thing happened in 2014, first time they offered it with ABS and next year it was updated... :mad:
When I bought my 2007 Ninja 650 my choice was blue or red and my buddy had a red ZZR600 so I chose blue. The next year they offered it in Kawasaki Green.

Many car companies force you to buy a certain trim level to get certain colors. It is all a marketing game.

The beauty of Kawasaki not making many improvements is that if you like a certain color that is not offered this year, you can buy a used one and save money as well as get the color you want without sacrificing features.

Paint color choices is one area where Harley shines over all the competition. They usually have many colors to chose from each year, but always have black as their staple color.

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts