Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 2020 Versys 650. I added a TRexRacing crash cage, RAM phone mount, and medium Tusk aluminum boxes on a custom fabricated rack.
I’m still getting used to using a peg to mount/dismount with the boxes giving the bike a big ole’ booty but I love the look and the function.

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
Can you show pics of the bike w/ the custom fabricated rack ONLY (NO Tusks)?

I'm seriously considering doing this because the LT bags are 'quite fragile'....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you show pics of the bike w/ the custom fabricated rack ONLY (NO Tusks)?

I'm seriously considering doing this because the LT bags are 'quite fragile'....
I kind of got distracted during fabrication and didn’t get a lot of shots of the rack before the boxes were bolted on. (They bolt on with lock nuts so I can’t just pop them off to get better pictures) That video shows the basic way the steel backings are attached to the bike. After that video I cleaned up what you see there and added a cross bar that bolts the two sides to each other. You can see those tabs that the cross bar bolts to in this picture:

so the top pieces bolt to the M8 bolts under the seat. I replaced the stock 25mm bolts with 30mm bolts to account for the added thickness of the steel. The front bolts or the existing hole in the passenger peg brackets. Then there is a cross brace tucked up by the fender.
This is certainly not the only way to mount these, it may not even be the best way. I could pretty much lift the back of the bike by the brackets before the boxes were attached so I’m comfortable that this will be acceptable for my uses.
Bike is blocked into the garage now but I will get some better “mounting” pics when I ride later.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

here is an image of the rack parts drying after paint. The long straight piece attached to the two small tabs on the backs while the large tabs are the main “hanger” and the front support.

Here is a video showing everything as installed. The boxes are bolted to those plates with 4 bolts with large fender washers on the inside and lock nuts on the back. Not ultra secure against theft but enough of a pain to make it take a while to steal them.
Here is a picture of the longer replacement bolt vs the stock bolt I used for the main rack supports. The longer bolt and 3/16” steel of the rack do not effect the saddle fit or ability to latch.
I hope some of this is helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts