Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've been riding for a couple years now, started on a used 2006 Suzuki GS500F, then purchased a 2019 Versys 650 brand new from a dealer back in April. I liked the styling and more upright position of the Versys. I've really enjoyed the bike, but the one thing I can't get over is how jerky the throttle is. It really rears its ugly head in certain situations. The bike seems to either be going or "dying". In stop and go traffic it's a real pain in the ass. I know it's not ideal, but sometimes a slow-down mid corner is necessary which often feels like a sudden cut off coupled with extreme engine braking, and then rolling back on the throttle is a jerky surging mess, and when all that happens mid-lean it does not feel good. Slow maneuvering is less than confidence inspiring. Even just going along a smooth road and then hitting a bump causes the bike to surge forward or slow down suddenly. Heaven forbid I have to go down a gravel road or something with some unavoidable pot holes, I probably look like a bobble-head, and not because of the bumps themselves. At some point I found myself on a bumpy dirt road out in the middle of nowhere, and it was terrible. I essentially had to keep the clutch partly held in at all times to prevent constantly surging forward or dying after each bump. I'm making sure I'm not gripping the throttle too tightly, making sure to be smooth with my throttle hand movements, none of that seems to matter.

I've read some other threads on here talking about pre-2015 Versys bikes, seen some stuff about the Power Commander V, some stuff about an ECU tune by a guy named Steve in Florida, people saying to check throttle cable slack, etc. I've taken the bike back to the dealership for its regular maintenances, at which point they supposedly checked the cable slack, etc. I've also seen talk about changing sprockets, which I know nothing about. I'm not much of a mechanically inclined person, so I'm looking for easy fixes, or maybe I just need to throw this bike off a cliff. I got more enjoyment out of my 2006 GS500F in terms of actual riding experience, and that thing was a pain in the ass to start and had all sorts of problems I had to deal with. I want to love this bike, but the throttle response is really making that hard. I would love to hear from anyone who has had success with making this bike's throttle response smoother!

·
Registered
337 Posts
My first thought is that you are correct, the throttle is very sensitive when barely open. Next thought is to ride it like you just stole it! Get the revs up and let her sing! My personal rule is to keep the revs above 4000. 6000 and above is where the magic happens. This will have the throttle open more and it will behave much better. Or you can try your luck with modifications...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Bought mine new Dec. '19. That was a major concern. Tried all the tricks you mentioned..no help on my bike. I have become used to it though... Dave is right, keeping the revs up does help.
The one thing I haven't tried is the throttle tamer, but that wouldn't work for me because I only ride mountain twisties

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hi all, I've been riding for a couple years now, started on a used 2006 Suzuki GS500F, then purchased a 2019 Versys 650 brand new from a dealer back in April. I liked the styling and more upright position of the Versys. I've really enjoyed the bike, but the one thing I can't get over is how jerky the throttle is. It really rears its ugly head in certain situations. The bike seems to either be going or "dying". In stop and go traffic it's a real pain in the ass. I know it's not ideal, but sometimes a slow-down mid corner is necessary which often feels like a sudden cut off coupled with extreme engine braking, and then rolling back on the throttle is a jerky surging mess, and when all that happens mid-lean it does not feel good. Slow maneuvering is less than confidence inspiring. Even just going along a smooth road and then hitting a bump causes the bike to surge forward or slow down suddenly. Heaven forbid I have to go down a gravel road or something with some unavoidable pot holes, I probably look like a bobble-head, and not because of the bumps themselves. At some point I found myself on a bumpy dirt road out in the middle of nowhere, and it was terrible. I essentially had to keep the clutch partly held in at all times to prevent constantly surging forward or dying after each bump. I'm making sure I'm not gripping the throttle too tightly, making sure to be smooth with my throttle hand movements, none of that seems to matter.

I've read some other threads on here talking about pre-2015 Versys bikes, seen some stuff about the Power Commander V, some stuff about an ECU tune by a guy named Steve in Florida, people saying to check throttle cable slack, etc. I've taken the bike back to the dealership for its regular maintenances, at which point they supposedly checked the cable slack, etc. I've also seen talk about changing sprockets, which I know nothing about. I'm not much of a mechanically inclined person, so I'm looking for easy fixes, or maybe I just need to throw this bike off a cliff. I got more enjoyment out of my 2006 GS500F in terms of actual riding experience, and that thing was a pain in the ass to start and had all sorts of problems I had to deal with. I want to love this bike, but the throttle response is really making that hard. I would love to hear from anyone who has had success with making this bike's throttle response smoother!
Your comments are spot on. Before I did the ECU update from Shoodaben Engineering, I felt the same way. The many glowing comments from others on this forum are real; this flash takes the bikes power delivery from mediocre to fantastic! My comments from after the tune:

If you have a Gen 3 V650, you need this; much better than a loud pipe or Power Commander!

I got my SHOODABEN ENGINEERING flashed ECU from Steve yesterday. It only took two days to get there and two days back, California to Florida. Even though I have a house full of company, I got to sneak away for a quick 20 mile test drive.

Steve did an amazing job on this ECU tune, actually beyond my expectations! Throttle response is really better at all RPM ranges. I even felt the difference just blipping the throttle!

It will pull very cleanly from 2500 (even down to 2000!) and the complete 3000 rpm range is perfect now. Opening the throttle hard at 4000 and you hear the intake howl much louder than before and you can really feel you have more ponies in the mid range.

My timing was perfect as Steve had just got deceleration fuel cut deletion ironed out, so now the bike isn't shutting off when decelerating and there's no throttle abruptness ever coming back on throttle. Engine braking is now as it should be. That on/off is not just an irritant, but it comes into play entering and exiting corners. The bike even seems to shift better since the throttle isn’t completely chopped off.

Just as I pulled up to the garage, the fan kicked on, much earlier than before. Outside temperature was only 75º (24º Celsius)

When I test drove a Tracer 900 a while back, I noted that the best part of the bike was it’s smooth power delivery, I now have that on my better than ever Gen 3 Versys 650.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can't get over is how jerky the throttle is
I had the same issue with my 2017 Versys, BoosterPlug was easy to install and it solved the problem for me. I realize that real ECU reflash could deliver much better results, but I'm too lazy to send my ECU somewhere and wait (not being able to ride for few weeks)

·
Registered
48 Posts
When I test drove a Tracer 900 a while back, I noted that the best part of the bike was it’s smooth power delivery, I now have that on my better than ever Gen 3 Versys 650.
tracer 900 has abrupt fueling and terrible throttle response. I've rented it twice and both times it was much worse than my versys with BoosterPlug.
tracer 900 abrupt - Google Search -- i'm not alone :)
I you want to experience perfect fueling - ride tiger 800/900 for example.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts