Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks. I have called a few companies that make shields for 2018 Versys 1000's such as Givi and Puig to check on availability. So far I haven't found anyone who makes a windshield for this bike yet as they have changed the mounting/screen shape for this year. I'm sure that by next spring these companies will have some windshield options, but can anyone steer me towards anyone who does make one now. I am 6'6" so I definitely need a tall option.

Premium Member

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
onewizard Thanks for the quick response, I will check it out. Something like this may be an option for me.....even when I get a taller windscreen.

Premium Member

Registered
hi dlars...

check out madstad. i have a 2018 1000 and its one of the better moves i've made so far. the adjustable mounting bracket plus the windshield shape works better for me that the stock windshield or the kaw touring, both of which i have.

for the record, i am 5'10", 185lbs, 32" inseam....

jim

Registered
.. forgot to mention. i got the puig from revzilla and had to send it back. while the holes aligned, they were about 1/2 the diameter they needed to be for mounting... never got to try it on my bike....

jim

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi dlars...

check out madstad. i have a 2018 1000 and its one of the better moves i've made so far. the adjustable mounting bracket plus the windshield shape works better for me that the stock windshield or the kaw touring, both of which i have.

for the record, i am 5'10", 185lbs, 32" inseam....

jim
Madstad doesn't make one for the 2019 yet and the person I emailed didn't really seem too interested in finding out any more info about it

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
.. forgot to mention. i got the puig from revzilla and had to send it back. while the holes aligned, they were about 1/2 the diameter they needed to be for mounting... never got to try it on my bike....

jim
Was that for the 2019 1000 SE LT? They also told me they had nothing in the works yet

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry all. misread your post. mine is a 2018 and you refer to 2019.
jim
No problem. Yes there are all kinds of shields for last year's model but no one seems to be in much of a rush to get this years model outfitted yet. I'm not sure if that's because the bikes are hard to get hold of or what the reason is.

Super Moderator
MIGHT be because your bike is the SE model, a first-time for Versys SE...!

Registered
I rode to calsci.com's actual factory on a nice November afternoon to see what it would look like on my 2016 V1KLT.
The owner helped me mount it on my bike, sent me on a 3 mile test ride to see if I actually wanted it. I rode with it from full up, 3/4ths, 1/2, 1/4 and fully lowered. Best windscreen I've ever used!!!
Rode the 3miles back, paid for it and rode 2 hours back home.
Better looking than the Madstadd on my 2015 650LTABS, and soooo much better than any Kawasaki windscreen for noise and buffeting.

Registered
I rode to calsci.com's actual factory on a nice November afternoon to see what it would look like on my 2016 V1KLT.
The owner helped me mount it on my bike, sent me on a 3 mile test ride to see if I actually wanted it. I rode with it from full up, 3/4ths, 1/2, 1/4 and fully lowered. Best windscreen I've ever used!!!
Better looking than the Madstadd on my 2015 650LTABS, and soooo much better than any Kawasaki windscreen for noise and buffeting.
Hey thanks for the hot tip on calsci.com ! Been looking for an upgrade windshield for my 2019 V1K SE+ but haven't had much luck.

I bought a Puig windscreen but messed up and got tinted - didn't work for me. Wasn't crazy about the additional protection either. Went back to the stock windscreen.

Emailed Motorcycle Windshields from the Windshield Experts | National Cycle but they make tinted tinted only. Also contacted MadStad Motorcycle Windshields but they don't make windscreens for the V1K 2019SE+ yet.

Will definitely reach out to calsci.com.

Registered
Forgot to ask, what size did you get? Is there a size you recommend? I'm 5'11" 32" inseam.

Registered
Hey thanks for the hot tip on calsci.com ! Been looking for an upgrade windshield for my 2019 V1K SE+ but haven't had much luck.

I bought a Puig windscreen but messed up and got tinted - didn't work for me. Wasn't crazy about the additional protection either. Went back to the stock windscreen.

Emailed Motorcycle Windshields from the Windshield Experts | National Cycle but they make tinted tinted only. Also contacted MadStad Motorcycle Windshields but they don't make windscreens for the V1K 2019SE+ yet.

Will definitely reach out to calsci.com.

2019 SE. I'm 6'3".
I made this out of an old windsceen. 2.25" taller and I can ride with my visor up at any speed. Love it.

Registered
2019 Versys 1000
Friday I rode to CalSci (Oak Grove, Mo), about a 2 hour & 20 ride from Manhattan, Ks. I had talked to Mark, the owner, the day before and he had asked my height (5' 11") and my inseam (30"). And after a little discussion he recommended a large, which surprised me as I figured I would need a XL.

He had the screen ready and in no time at all it was on my 2019 V1K. He recommended a road and then said if I wanted to try it on the interstate, go for it! Didn't have to. Went back and told him it was like the stock screen! He got in front and took a look and raised it about 1.5" and said to try it again.

I couldn't believe what a difference that made! It is much quieter and the buffeting is almost completely gone. I went back and paid for it and had a much more enjoyable ride home!

I don't think there is a screen made that will completely stop ALL buffeting at all times. If you want that, might as well drive that 4 wheeler! The CalSci really reduces noise and buffeting. What buffeting I had was a "softer buffeting" and I only had that when headed into the wind at 80 mph. It was still a good 60-70% better than the stock shield.

Now having said that, when I was looking OVER the shield, it was like the stock shield. When it was raised in the quiet position that I like, I am looking thru the top 1 or 2 inches of the shield! The quality of CalSci's shields is very good and mine has no distortion, so I don't mind it at all! Anything for a comfortable ride!

If you want to check them out:
https://calsci.com/

If you live close enough to ride in and try a shield (Call first), ask Mark if he is planning on cutting one on his laser cutter when you are there! He built his own laser cutter and I found it fascinating to watch! And he was nice enough to give me a quick tour of his warehouse.

Happy riding.....jimd

Registered
2016 Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
I like my Givi / Kappa D4113ST, it has formations on the lower sides and was instantly good. I raised it an inch or so and I still see over it. From pics, the Puig may have similar wind deflecting formations on the sides, haven't seen on in person.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts