Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have Versys 1000, 2016. I think all those new changes are baloney. same with the way nowadays they push people to buy new mobile phones; the mobile works the same as 5 years ago, but it is double more expensive. more electronics means more potential trouble. all I need is ABS. the LED that comes with these bikes is useless, completely weak. I prefer to fit my own LED bulbs and some auxiliary lights. as to suspension, I always fit aftermarket ones, and so with the seat.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
I have Versys 1000, 2016. I think all those new changes are baloney. same with the way nowadays they push people to buy new mobile phones; the mobile works the same as 5 years ago, but it is double more expensive. more electronics means more potential trouble. all I need is ABS. the LED that comes with these bikes is useless, completely weak. I prefer to fit my own LED bulbs and some auxiliary lights. as to suspension, I always fit aftermarket ones, and so with the seat.
Well, many people like having the latest greatest. Can't fault them for that. Once you have toured with electronic cruise control you will wonder why you waited so long. But, I'm the guy who uses the cruise control in my vehicles the moment I get up to speed outside my driveway. Keeps me from getting speeding tickets.

If we are going to talk wants verses needs, all my current bikes are air cooled with some of them having an extra oil cooler. I don't need that new fangled liquid cooling. LOL. Mine are also 1 or 2 cylinder. No need for those extra cylinders to maintain. LOL!

When I was trading in bikes every 30,000 miles I definitely enjoyed getting all the latest gismos and gadgetries on my bikes. Electrically adjustable windscreen, Electronic Cruise Control, Electronically adjustable suspension. The Triumph Trophy SE was the most comfortable all day motorcycle for every road condition, but had way too much weather protection for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So, we decided on the 2020 Versys 1000 SE LT+. We actually went and bought it last night. A couple of posts talked about the factory seat. Completely agree. My Butt was numb. It was about a 65 mile ride home from dealership. I did not stop the entire ride home to see how the bike felt for me. I am 6'3", and the only two complaints I have is the seat (fixable) and the foot pegs could be moved or adjusted for a taller person. Other than that, bike handles really well. Fun ride, and my wife loved it. She rode it for a bit after we got it home. She likes it. Her very first comment was "I think I could ride really long distances with this bike." I said "I sure hope so that is the plan."

Very happy with the purchase. Thank you everyone for the support on comparisons and opinions. Much appreciated. I am going to stay active in the forums and see what else I can learn about my new Kawasaki Versys.

I removed the saddle bags once I got home and the wife and I both agree that you need them for trips, but not for day riding. The bike looks so much sportier without them.

The bike now has 76 miles on it!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
So, we decided on the 2020 Versys 1000 SE LT+. We actually went and bought it last night. A couple of posts talked about the factory seat. Completely agree. My Butt was numb. It was about a 65 mile ride home from dealership. I did not stop the entire ride home to see how the bike felt for me. I am 6'3", and the only two complaints I have is the seat (fixable) and the foot pegs could be moved or adjusted for a taller person. Other than that, bike handles really well. Fun ride, and my wife loved it. She rode it for a bit after we got it home. She likes it. Her very first comment was "I think I could ride really long distances with this bike." I said "I sure hope so that is the plan."

Very happy with the purchase. Thank you everyone for the support on comparisons and opinions. Much appreciated. I am going to stay active in the forums and see what else I can learn about my new Kawasaki Versys.

I removed the saddle bags once I got home and the wife and I both agree that you need them for trips, but not for day riding. The bike looks so much sportier without them.

The bike now has 76 miles on it!!

Congrats on your purchase!!! I do agree, the Green color of the 2020 model is really beautiful. Suggestion, take the time to learn the controls - there is a lot to learn. All spelled out in the owners manual. Took me forever to remember all of it. Still forget some things now and then. As far as the seats go see links below. Got my Versys 650 seat modified by Terry. So much better than stock. The only downside was the long lead time and the bucket configuration made touching the ground a little more difficult. May give Seth Laam a try this time around for my 1K. Learned about Seth and Terry from this blog! Happy riding!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Congrats, and let the modding begin!

Will be interesting to see if the miles on the ZX10R drop since the Versys is a very capable twisty road machine. Does your wife do any track days?
Yes it will be. I will have to update everyone on this at a later date. She is on it today, the Versys that is. I told her to go get the miles on it to get the break in period over with.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Yes it will be. I will have to update everyone on this at a later date. She is on it today, the Versys that is. I told her to go get the miles on it to get the break in period over with.
The new bike always gets the most love until the newness wears off. LOL!

When a bike gets neglected I start to think about replacing it, then I ride it and remember why I bought it in the first place.

But, if a new bike catches my eye and it overlaps another bike in use, oh well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought that same bike in February...and have already tacked on 7k+ miles. Added the tail trunk, radiator guard, skid plate (I am definitely doing some dirt roads on it), running lights and just dropped the seat at my local guy to get it re-done before I spring for a Sargent or Corbin. Having just done a 3k mile tour through Colorado, the ONLY thing I didnt love about the bike was the seat (and it's not terrible, just know that it can be a lot better). Cruise control is a game changer, makes long freeway stretches much more doable, and even the ride modes are nice, switching to Road for the the straight sections and Sport for the twisties along with the preload settings are key!

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
I bought that same bike in February...and have already tacked on 7k+ miles. Added the tail trunk, radiator guard, skid plate (I am definitely doing some dirt roads on it), running lights and just dropped the seat at my local guy to get it re-done before I spring for a Sargent or Corbin. Having just done a 3k mile tour through Colorado, the ONLY thing I didnt love about the bike was the seat (and it's not terrible, just know that it can be a lot better). Cruise control is a game changer, makes long freeway stretches much more doable, and even the ride modes are nice, switching to Road for the the straight sections and Sport for the twisties along with the preload settings are key!
If you have ever read "The Pace", The Pace, one of the games I like to play is to find a nice curvy road, set the cruise control at my desired speed to ride the road and force myself to lean the bike over further than bleeding off speed in the turns. It really makes you focus on your lines and getting the bike leaned over. Of course you have to pick a speed that isn't too fast for conditions. :cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Things are great. I have made it my daily commuter to work during the break in phase. I’m actually leaving for a 10 day trip August 6th on my Harley. After I get back from this trip I am going to start planning a trip with the wife on the Versys. I am hoping Tennessee bound. We both like it. We both agree it needs a different seat. The factory seat is not that good. Other than that. A fun bike to ride.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts