Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright folks,

Need a little help. I am swimming in unknown territory here. I am personally a harley touring bike guy, but my wife loves kawasaki and I respect that. She currently has a ZX10R, but is unable to ride across states with us due to.....well you know. It isn't a touring bike.

So, I have been looking at getting her a Versys 1000 now for a little over a year. She says she likes the way they feel and she would love to take trips with us on her own bike. I am trying to figure out the differences between the 18 models and the 19 models. For some reason I am unable to find all the details online on them.

Questions for you guys.......
Electronic Cruise Control, does 2018 model have it or not?
Heated Grips, is this only a 2019 thing?
LED lights, does either bike 18 or 19 have LED lights? If not, can you point me towards an LED aftermarket please?
Personal feelings between the two years? is one year truly better than the other?

I have found both bikes online, but not all the fine details posted about them.

Again reaching out because I am not currently knowledgeable in Kawasaki Models, however I am going to learn for my wife. I don't want to head out and buy the first bike I come across.

Thank you for your kind support.

·
Registered
281 Posts
This review describes pretty well what changed between 18 and 19, and what you're getting for the additional $5,000.

·
Registered
83 Posts
my wife loves kawasaki and I respect that. She currently has a ZX10R, but is unable to ride across states with us due to.....well you know. It isn't a touring bike.

So, I have been looking at getting her a Versys 1000 now for a little over a year.
Has she sat on one or had a test ride? How tall is your wife? It's a large motorcycle with weight up high and when loaded will easily exceed 600#. I am 6'-2" / 230# and consider it large, its not so bad once moving but slow speed maneuvering (gas stations, city traffic, roadside pull offs on uneven pavement or gravel) could prove disastrous.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
The 1000 SE LT is an upgraded version of the 1000 LT with a lot more bells and whistles. Here is a good website to compare the bikes you are looking at.

Since she loves her ZX10R, maybe a Ninja 1000 might serve sport touring duty for her.

2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS Guide • Total Motorcycle It has been around since 2011 so there would be plenty of used ones to look at, and hard luggage can be added to it. If electronic cruise control is a must have, there are options there as well from the aftermarket.

This link shows the Ninja 1000 with bags installed. Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS | Touring Motorcycle | Powerful & Capable

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has she sat on one or had a test ride? How tall is your wife? It's a large motorcycle with weight up high and when loaded will easily exceed 600#. I am 6'-2" / 230# and consider it large, its not so bad once moving but slow speed maneuvering (gas stations, city traffic, roadside pull offs on uneven pavement or gravel) could prove disastrous.
She has, a 2019 model brand new left over model. The price is marked down to the 13,900 range. I found a 2018 a few hours away with 7,000 miles for $8,999. I don't mind paying more if it is really worth it. Just trying to really understand the model year differences.

She is tall, long legged. The bike fit her really well. She was ready to ride it home after sitting on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 1000 SE LT is an upgraded version of the 1000 LT with a lot more bells and whistles. Here is a good website to compare the bikes you are looking at.

Since she loves her ZX10R, maybe a Ninja 1000 might serve sport touring duty for her.

2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS Guide • Total Motorcycle It has been around since 2011 so there would be plenty of used ones to look at, and hard luggage can be added to it. If electronic cruise control is a must have, there are options there as well from the aftermarket.

This link shows the Ninja 1000 with bags installed. Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS | Touring Motorcycle | Powerful & Capable
Does this have Electronic Cruise Control? That is ultimately what I am after for her. Comfortable ride with Cruise

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cruise Control and several other useful upgrades were introduced on the 2019 model.
Sorry, I meant the 1000 ABS, not hte 2019 Versys. My apologies. Too many models to learn about in such a short time span.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everyone has been great with responses, thank you so much. Here is a question for everyone.

What is the Best, Better, Good models for touring in the Kawasaki world? I mean 500-700 miles per day for a week straight type of riding. Cruise control is an absolute must in my opinion, everything else is negotiable on whether or not it is a must have.

And go.........

·
Registered
379 Posts
Kawasaki Guy said:
Questions for you guys.......
Electronic Cruise Control, does 2018 model have it or not?
Heated Grips, is this only a 2019 thing?
I have no idea how well the electronic cruise control works on any bike, but I've been happy with my 'Go Cruise" throttle lock on both my V650 and 2018 V1K. Will it keep perfect speed up and down hills? No, but for $20, it give me the ability to let me right wrist rest for short periods of time on long trips, and does keep pretty stable speeds on flats.

As far as heated grips are concerned, I think you can find lots of posts that point out that the OEM heated grips are not the best. I put a set of Kosa Apollo grips on my V1K and I love, love, love them.

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have a 2019 Versys 1K. For me ...cruise control is great. Does drift a bit up and down hills but well within reason. Heated grips work well. Lighting is really great at night. Cornering lights are really useful in really dark areas. As many have said, and I can attest too, the stock seat is very uncomfortable. Looking to replace it. There is a fair amount of heat that does hit your legs and to a lessor extent torso but is only obvious when fairly hot >85F (?) Not much fun to ride in stop in go traffic on a really hot day. The electronic suspension is great - can electronically tune damping and spring preloads. Really helps on rough roads. Kind of on the fence with the quick shift. Not sure it's worth it. Getting about 43 - 45MPG burning premium fuel. Definitely get some buffeting when riding at speed but nothing terrible. Do have an aftermarket windscreen installed but can't say there is a huge difference from stock. Side bags can carry quite a bit of stuff but unfortunately won't fit my helmet (XXL). The motor is amazing, pulls from very low revs (under 2K) to redline. Very smooth and competent. More than enough power for any riding situation. There are also three preset rider modes (sport, road, rain) and a custom called RIDER where all parameters can be set. Be careful with the suspension settings, high speed and light spring and damping settings is not recommended - states it in the manual and I experienced a bit of high speed wobble. Can't ride very long with the stock seat, needed to get off every half hour to hour to give my bottom a rest. Very confident a new seat will be a huge help. Just got back from a multiple day trip through western Wisconsin. An absolute blast. Other than my bottom and a slightly sore back (an on going issue for me) no issues. Bike was super reliable. Only thing I needed to do was to tighten up and lube the chain during the ride. Can't wait to takeoff again! Good luck with your decision.

ps. One other thing, I installed a wider pad for the kickstand so that it will not sink into the ground or asphalt on a hot day. The issue is the bike already stands close to vertical and the pad just gets it closer to vert - bike will tip if you are not careful. Don't ask how I know!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sorry, I meant the 1000 ABS, not hte 2019 Versys. My apologies. Too many models to learn about in such a short time span.
If you are talking about the Ninja 1000, the 2020 model got A LOT of upgrades for 2020, including cruise control for $12,400.
  • NEW Enhanced Chassis featuring Bosch IMU
  • NEW Kawasaki Cornering Management Function (KCMF)
  • NEW Kawasaki Intelligent Anti-Lock Brake System (KIBS)
  • NEW Electronic Throttle Valves
  • NEW Integrated Riding Modes
  • NEW Kawasaki Quick Shifter (KQS)
  • NEW Electronic Cruise Control
  • NEW ECU Tuning
  • NEW TFT Color Instrumentation
  • NEW Smartphone Connectivity via RIDEOLOGY THE APP
  • NEW Bridgestone BATTLAX Hypersport S22 Tires

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have a 2019 Versys 1K. For me ...cruise control is great. Does drift a bit up and down hills but well within reason. Heated grips work well. Lighting is really great at night. Cornering lights are really useful in really dark areas. As many have said, and I can attest too, the stock seat is very uncomfortable. Looking to replace it. There is a fair amount of heat that does hit your legs and to a lessor extent torso but is only obvious when fairly hot >85F (?) Not much fun to ride in stop in go traffic on a really hot day. The electronic suspension is great - can electronically tune damping and spring preloads. Really helps on rough roads. Kind of on the fence with the quick shift. Not sure it's worth it. Getting about 43 - 45MPG burning premium fuel. Definitely get some buffeting when riding at speed but nothing terrible. Do have an aftermarket windscreen installed but can't say there is a huge difference from stock. Side bags can carry quite a bit of stuff but unfortunately won't fit my helmet (XXL). The motor is amazing, pulls from very low revs (under 2K) to redline. Very smooth and competent. More than enough power for any riding situation. There are also three preset rider modes (sport, road, rain) and a custom called RIDER where all parameters can be set. Be careful with the suspension settings, high speed and light spring and damping settings is not recommended - states it in the manual and I experienced a bit of high speed wobble. Can't ride very long with the stock seat, needed to get off every half hour to hour to give my bottom a rest. Very confident a new seat will be a huge help. Just got back from a multiple day trip through western Wisconsin. An absolute blast. Other than my bottom and a slightly sore back (an on going issue for me) no issues. Bike was super reliable. Only thing I needed to do was to tighten up and lube the chain during the ride. Can't wait to takeoff again! Good luck with your decision.

ps. One other thing, I installed a wider pad for the kickstand so that it will not sink into the ground or asphalt on a hot day. The issue is the bike already stands close to vertical and the pad just gets it closer to vert - bike will tip if you are not careful. Don't ask how I know!

View attachment 179352
Great feedback!! Thank you!! I think we have decided on a 2020, simply the color package. She loves the Kawasaki green. I found a brand new one for 15,900 in Indiana. From every video, post, and review. Sounds like you cannot go wrong on investing one of these bikes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love my 2016 V-1K but Versys depreciate drastically. If it were me i would go to Texas and pick this gem up...... EAST TX: - 2018 BMW S1000XR premium
I appreciate the feedback that the Versys Depreciates drastically. Good to know. A little scary, but if she likes it, she will keep it for a long time. If she doesn't like traveling across state lines, I guess I will have to take the loss or start riding it myself. I think it is worth doing and hoping she falls in love with the traveling.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Great feedback!! Thank you!! I think we have decided on a 2020, simply the color package. She loves the Kawasaki green. I found a brand new one for 15,900 in Indiana. From every video, post, and review. Sounds like you cannot go wrong on investing one of these bikes.
Are you trying to surprise her with the bike, or just narrowing down the choices?

Looks like you have it narrowed down to the Ninja 1000SX and the Versys 1000 SE LT. Personally, I would never buy my wife something like this without her trying it on for size first. If she really enjoys her aggressive ZX10R and doesn't complain about comfort, she might enjoy the Ninja more than the Versys. But, yeah, Kawasaki Green all the way. LOL!

Oh, and on pricing. Always ask for the Out the Door price. Many dealers low ball online and then add thousands in fees.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you trying to surprise her with the bike, or just narrowing down the choices?

Looks like you have it narrowed down to the Ninja 1000SX and the Versys 1000 SE LT. Personally, I would never buy my wife something like this without her trying it on for size first. If she really enjoys her aggressive ZX10R and doesn't complain about comfort, she might enjoy the Ninja more than the Versys. But, yeah, Kawasaki Green all the way. LOL!

Oh, and on pricing. Always ask for the Out the Door price. Many dealers low ball online and then add thousands in fees.
Absolutely, I am a wheeler and dealer, I always make sure I know exactly what I am paying for and have no problem walking, and if they don't call me back, well then it wasn't meant to be. I don't need this bike, we just want it for recreational.

She has sat on the 18, 19, Versys, and many other Kawasaki's, not sure about the the SX. We will be sure to look at those for sure. I am not pushing anything on her, or advising her on what not to pick out. I just want her to find a ride that she will take long rides with me. I tried to get her to buy a harley street glide, or even try riding mine. She won't have anything to do with it, other than riding with me.

No surprises, she will be going with me as we navigate through all of this. I am just kind enough to pay for it. HAHA.

Anyways, once again you guys have been great and I appreciate all the feedback. That is what makes a community/forum special.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Absolutely, I am a wheeler and dealer, I always make sure I know exactly what I am paying for and have no problem walking, and if they don't call me back, well then it wasn't meant to be. I don't need this bike, we just want it for recreational.

She has sat on the 18, 19, Versys, and many other Kawasaki's, not sure about the the SX. We will be sure to look at those for sure. I am not pushing anything on her, or advising her on what not to pick out. I just want her to find a ride that she will take long rides with me. I tried to get her to buy a harley street glide, or even try riding mine. She won't have anything to do with it, other than riding with me.

No surprises, she will be going with me as we navigate through all of this. I am just kind enough to pay for it. HAHA.

Anyways, once again you guys have been great and I appreciate all the feedback. That is what makes a community/forum special.
Another interesting Kawasaki with cruise control is the Vulcan Vaquero which is Kawasaki's competition to the Road Glide. Even came in Kawasaki Green, or with Kawasaki Green accents a few years.

My Road Glide is the only bike my wife will ride on the back of. She has no interest in riding her own bike. She has horses.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another interesting Kawasaki with cruise control is the Vulcan Vaquero which is Kawasaki's competition to the Road Glide. Even came in Kawasaki Green, or with Kawasaki Green accents a few years.

My Road Glide is the only bike my wife will ride on the back of. She has no interest in riding her own bike. She has horses.
I think at this level she is concerned with weight. That is why she likes the Versys so much. Sits up a little more and still a light weight for type of riding we will be doing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts