Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I done changed the plugs and air filter after 8000 miles on the bike. Noticed my MPG's dropped to avg around 43mpg and before I was getting about 49mpg average. I notice the idle might be a tad rough, and I mean just slightly "rumbley" instead of "humming". Anyway I'd expect the mpgs to improve after this procedure. Am I running rich? How can I adjust the fuel/air mixture?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes actually had a go with it. I wasn't thinking when I had it all taken apart and needed to get a mileage reading so I turned on the ignition for a second. What was I thinking? (I wasn't). Well that triggered the FI light to come on and I had to put about 60 miles on it till it turned off. Luckily it's off now, I'm still not seeing any improved mileage but I'm gonna try some higher octane next time I fill up.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Higher octane shouldn't make a difference in your mpg. In fact it may reduce it.

If you put everything back together properly, idk what is going on. A bad plug? The air filter flows less air?

It could also just be fuel. More ethanol = less mpg. Maybe the formulation changed. Or it could be your riding is different.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to know on the octane. Maybe will try to get ethanol free then. Will update after I fill up again!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Ethanol-free contains about 5% more energy per gallon. Around here it costs slightly more than that, about 7%, more than gas diluted with 10% ethanol. From a $$ standpoint it isn't a money saver.

In my Subaru I get much better performance and mpg with the ethanol-free gas. In my 2015 V650 I don't notice a difference really. It seemed to take the Subaru a few tanks of it to "learn" before the improvement.

You can, and should, run the minimum octane recommended for your engine. For normal non-race situations there is no reason to increase octane. Theoretically the engine runs more efficiently on the lowest octane needed for the demands you put on it. If you ride really gently all the time, you could safely and efficiently run on really low octane. But then you'd be in trouble when you have to accelerate getting on the highway or going uphill.

The change in your mpg indicates something changed. Hopefully just a bad batch of gas. If it doesn't return to where it was, dig further to find it. There could be a loose vacuum hose, a bad spark plug, some kind of air filter problem, a loose electrical connection to a sensor, etc.

Have you had your ECU flashed or installed a different exhaust system? Those will change the mpg too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts