Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys.

We're in the depths of winter here in eastern ontario. Bike been stored since late October. For storage I washed and waxed the bike. Changed the oil and Filter. Adjusted, Cleaned and lubed chain. Removed battery and it is trickle charged indoors throughout winter. Sprayed or wiped anti-rust on everything that would require it. Bike is in my unheated garage with cardboard under the tires.

As stated in the title, my bike now has approx 14000 kms. I swapped the tired @ 8400 kms for Dunlop Roadsmart III's. Just wondering about a couple of things.

Manual says I have to change spark plugs and adj valves @ 12000 kms. Are most people following those intervals or waiting a bit longer?

How many kms / Miles should I expect out of brake pads?

Thanx.

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
2015 650 abs

I did my valve shim check at 11,000 KM and found tight valves, the service interval was 24,000 KM originally. Doing the valve shim, requires pulling the stick coils , at that time you should lube them with a non conductive grease, I explain this in my post in How To.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I asked the Kawi service shop why the 2015 650 service manual says 24000K for valve clearance check and adjust here in N.America and 42000K for everywhere else, couldnt get a proper answer and I asked more than one. I found that interesting, different fuel standards maybe. Also asked my trusted local all-brand motorcycle shop and they thought 24000K was overkill. VStrom 650 for instance was 50000K. If you ride like a track racer and making that motor scream all the time then they need adjusting more frequently. And modern plugs should last more than 12000K! So,I split the diff and got everything done at 36000K,but thats me, my riding style and I did my own research. Cant hurt to do it more,there should be a performance improvement. Expensive job getting valves shimmed if youre paying a shop to do it! Alot of guys here do their own valve-shimming,Im warming up to trying it next time...

·
Super Moderator
19,630 Posts
...Manual says I have to change spark plugs and adj valves @ 12000 kms. Are most people following those intervals or waiting a bit longer?....
As onewizard said - PDG idea to check your valves,AND open them up to the MAX end of the specs while doing so (as they will take a long time to "tighten-up" ONCE at max clearance), and to replace your spark-plugs, EVEN THO' THEY WILL LOOK LIKE NEW WHEN YOU REMOVE THEM!

I have a car that uses VERY similar plugs. My wife complained that the car would "kick-OFF" from cruise control on some steep hills near Kelowna, so I bought a new set, removed the OLD ones and compared old vs new. They looked pretty much IDENTICAL, but after the change the car had WAY more power, and would now hold constant speed up hills in "cruise", so I NOW follow "Ma Kawi's" recommendations.

:goodluck:

...How many kms / Miles should I expect out of brake pads?....
My Gen 1 ('08) w/ 82K miles on it, is STILL on the OEM rear pads, but I changed the fronts [AND the discs] at 59,573 miles.

OTOH - my Gen 3 ('15V650) w/ 63,914 kms is still on the OEM front pads, altho' when I needed to replace a rear tire in Anchorage in '16 they told me that my rear pads were "toast", and replaced them. I'm STILL not convinced that they were worn-out - I use the rear brakes on the '08 the same fashion as I use them on the '15, so MAYBE I was "done" by that dealer....

:goodluck: AGAIN!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for the replies everyone.

I will have the valves checked and plugs changed this spring.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I always use Mobile 1 in my 1200 beemer and unless someone gives me a good reason, I would use it in the Versys 650, as well. I would think Valve adj. interval a 24000 is a little too soon...

·
Registered
445 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
Fuel Stabilizer

Did I miss it?? Did anybody recommend fuel stabilizer during the storage??? I did the search and found this thread the closest to what he is doing. Seems like one of the simplest and cheap things to do before storage. Some brand names are mentioned here.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/162-general-discussions-v-650/57114-best-way-store-my-v-during-upcoming-deployment.html
I use Sta Bil , in the fall I take the car and fill 2 25 liter gas cans and put sta bil in each, this does my snowblowers and lawnmower, and my motorcycle. Some times I end up getting a break in the winter and go for a ride, I end up going through a tank of gas, I try and get home on the most minimum of fuel, baring that I fill my tank full and once home guess at the fuel amount in the tank, add sta bil then go for a short ride.

·
Super Moderator
19,630 Posts
I always use Mobile 1 in my 1200 beemer and unless someone gives me a good reason, I would use it in the Versys 650, as well. I would think Valve adj. interval a 24000 is a little too soon...
YES on the M1 (MOST of us use 15w-50 M1); and DEFINITELY check your valves PRIOR to that mileage - MOST of us have had 'tight' valves when we checked them early - but IF you set them to the MAX clearance you'll be OK for longer after that....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts