Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, need some help from the experts. I just came back yesterday from a short 150 mile trip and it was all fine. 2016 Versys 650 has been sooo sweeet (until this evening).

I decided to go to grocery store later today and it didn't want to start. Every time I pushed the start button I heard the relay clicking and bike shuts down immediately, don't matter how many times I try it always shuts down. I checked battery and it reads 12.7V

See video (sorry for the cicada noise in the background !!)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Relay clicking but does the bike start?

Clicking relay usually means the battery is toast. Do you keep it on a battery tender when not riding the bike?

Try charging the battery overnight then try to start the bike. Also have the battery tested.

·
Registered
806 Posts
First thing I would check would be the battery connections followed by other connections in that circuit including ground connections.

Try to wiggle them first and see if there is any change.

Disconnect the battery and use an abrasive or scraper to get the connecting points shiny. Don't just look at them and think that they are "clean enough", they may not be even if no corrosion is apparently present.

Second thing would be to get the battery load tested.

Those two things clear up a large majority of the problems.

Video was not available to me when I looked a few minutes ago.

Reactions: aboyandhisversys

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
...Disconnect the battery and use an abrasive or scraper to get the connecting points shiny. Don't just look at them and think that they are "clean enough", they may not be even if no corrosion is apparently present....
I would also suggest that you coat the connecting points w/ a good dielectric grease, before you re-attach them.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Video unavailable
This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated.

Every time I pushed the start button I heard the relay clicking and bike shuts down immediately, don't matter how many times I try it always shuts down...
What do you mean by "it shuts down"? Does it crank? Does it start then stall?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the video. I’ll try to fix it. Yes, battery was done. I was riding charging my phone and GPS and somehow it discharged and cannot charge all the way up again. Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Video unavailable
This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated

What do you mean by "it shuts down"? Does it crank? Does it start then stall?
Video has been fixed

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Folks, thanks everyone for the comments and help. I had to replace my battery AND the positive cable. I noticed the positive cable had a little interference with my seat configuration and was routed seating on the top of the rear brake reservoir and bending like an "U", which contributed to its infant wear and probably battery discharge.

·
Premium Member
9,106 Posts
Finally Getting Response

Folks, thanks everyone for the comments and help. I had to replace my battery AND the positive cable. I noticed the positive cable had a little interference with my seat configuration and was routed seating on the top of the rear brake reservoir and bending like an "U", which contributed to its infant wear and probably battery discharge.
I posted this some time ago, it seemed only I had a problem.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/162-general-discussions-v-650/124505-revision-lowered-2015-650-abs.html?highlight=clearance

If you have photos could you post them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
Disconnect both positive and negative battery connections. Clean top of battery posts and bottom of connectors where they actually make contact with sandpaper, wipe it off clean then reconnect good and tight.
Check battery voltage BEFORE reconnecting battery. The Versys is a battery vampire (most modern bikes are: clocks, GPS, etc etc etc) and needs a charger if not run for a few days. sigh. Our first world problems...

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Check battery voltage BEFORE reconnecting battery. The Versys is a battery vampire (most modern bikes are: clocks, GPS, etc etc etc) and needs a charger if not run for a few days. sigh. Our first world problems...

Battery charging and maintenance is for another chapter... Versys is not hard on batteries. I just replaced the original Chinese made Yuasa last year in my 2007.

Besides, battery charges better with lesser resistance in the battery connections.

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
...Disconnect the battery and use an abrasive or scraper to get the connecting points shiny. Don't just look at them and think that they are "clean enough", they may not be even if no corrosion is apparently present....
I would also suggest that you coat the connecting points w/ a good dielectric grease, before you re-attach them.
I was under the impression that Dialetric grease is not conductive so I clean contact points on battery connections, attach the battery cable tightly, then apply Dialetric grease after the connection is made. I usually use battery terminal spray in liue of the Dialetric grease though

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
I was under the impression that Dialetric grease is not conductive so I clean contact points on battery connections, attach the battery cable tightly, then apply Dialetric grease after the connection is made. I usually use battery terminal spray in liue of the Dialetric grease though
IF it ain't conductive, then I am a VERY lucky guy, as I put dielectric grease into EVERY electrical connection that I 'open' before I re-install it.

>:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts