Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
For several months I am the owner of a lovely orange 2016 Versys 650.

I do have a problem that the dealer does not want or can not solve.

Motorcycle pulls to the right and handlebars shaking at a speed of 50-60 km / h. driving without hands

Wheеls are in perfect alignment.

Did you have any of you such a problem and how it was decided.

Thanks for any feedback and support

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
forks could be out of line in the clamps,

·
Registered
873 Posts
Certainly check the fork/clamps. How do you know the wheels are perfectly straight? I was thinking rear wheel alignment was the guilty party.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Hello guys,
For several months I am the owner of a lovely orange 2016 Versys 650.

I do have a problem that the dealer does not want or can not solve.

Motorcycle pulls to the right and handlebars shaking at a speed of 50-60 km / h. driving without hands

Wheеls are in perfect alignment.

Did you have any of you such a problem and how it was decided.

Thanks for any feedback and support
First things first, I would doing the following checks.

1) Inspect the front tire for unusual signs of wear. Also check for rocks stuck in tread and remove.

2) Check wheel balance

3) With a small piece of glass or mirror try to lay it flat on both the fork legs, it should sit perfectly flat with no rocking, this is to ensure the fork legs are aligned with each other. You need a perfectly flat item to do this which is why glass is recommended.

4) While the front wheel is raised off the ground have a friend hold the bars from moving and try and tug front wheel from side to side, there should be no movement - this is to check play in front steering bearing - there should be none.

5) Raise the bike on the rear pit stand and do a string alignment of the rear wheel. See you tube videos on how to do this. This is the most accurate way of aligning the front and rear wheel.

How many miles on bike, usually bearings are only an issue on high mileage bikes. Is there any crash damage? The symptoms you are having are not normal.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
As a simple fix for balancing issues that does not involve removing the wheel. Remove all wheel weights and install 1oz (front) and 2oz (rear) balance beads through the valve stem. I prefer balance beads to weights as they don't come off like weights sometimes do and do not require a balance machine, they are also I think slightly smoother.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My OEM tires created a symptom similar to your problem. I didn't have the pulling to one side or the other but it tried to tank slap at any speed if I one handed or let go of the bars. Scary as hell. When I put Shinko 705's on the bike that stopped instantly. I'm not saying this is your problem but it sure was mine.

For what it's worth I would call the Kawi rep for your area and discuss it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice guys,

I do alignment whit straight edge metod. I used two absolutely straight aluminum profiles.
I went to the dealer and there check the balance of the front tire.
Recommendation dealer not to raise hands on the handlebars. Motorcycle is 2800 kilometers. No crashes, I am the first owner.

The symptoms are that at low speed the handlebars trying to turn left and at high motorcycle pulls to the right.

Several times I went to the dealer. They say everything is fine, but it is not.

My problem is that the motorcycle is under warranty and the dealer just does not help me to solve this problem. If go to another mechanic may lose warranty.

This is the first brand new motorcycle for me and I feel terrible.

I'll try again with adjustable front forks and if do not fix might leave the group Kawasaki. And so many like this motorcycle.

Thanks for the advice.

However, if any of you decided the same problem I'll be grateful to help me.

·
Registered
442 Posts
My problem is that the motorcycle is under warranty and the dealer just does not help me to solve this problem. If go to another mechanic may lose warranty. (quote)

Any dealer is required to do warranty work. Changing dealers will not void the warranty. Try taking it to another kawasaki shop.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
There is something very wrong with your Versys. This is not normal! Do whatever you have to do to either get it fixed by a dealer or get them to refund your purchase price and take the bike back.

Are you in the USA? If so, there is the "lemon law" which says if the dealer cannot fix the problem within a few visits, they are required to take it back and give you your money back.

I would talk to the manager of the dealership and tell them this is not acceptable and you want it fixed properly or you want your money back. It is unsafe to ride like this. If he won't do something to make it right, escalate to his boss.

·
Super Moderator
19,595 Posts
I would suggest "alignment": handlebars; forks; wheels (which you've checked, but try ANOTHER method, just in case); and steering head bearings.

ANYONE near Skypilot that has front and rear stands, and would help him to determine some of this...?

·
Premium Member
16,218 Posts
I believe it is time to contact Kawasaki Corporation regonal representative or Kawasaki corporation yourself and let them know of your problems with bike and dealer.

Ditto....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sounds scary. At the very least, stop riding it -- stay safe.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would suggest "alignment": handlebars; forks; wheels (which you've checked, but try ANOTHER method, just in case); and steering head bearings.

ANYONE near Skypilot that has front and rear stands, and would help him to determine some of this...?
It wasn't me having the problem, it was Yanko. He doesn't list where he is from.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It wasn't me having the problem, it was Yanko. He doesn't list where he is from.
Really need to list location on forums

But I gotta say I would be all over the dealer like white on rice. Do not put up with this BS contact Kawasaki directly

·
Premium Member
16,218 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Welcome and yes this is a bummer having this kind of issue. Very unusual for a new bike, nothing should be out of alignment. I read through all post and did not see something mentioned that could cause this. Have you checked for low tire pressure? Just looking like they are okay is not good enough, put a gauge on them. I personally think it's something real simple. Keep us posted on what you find out and good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello guys,
I'm sorry that I started with problems.

I'm from Bulgaria. Unfortunately, our country is small and have only one dealer. But I spoke again with the dealer and got permission to go another mechanic, without losing the warranty.

I hope really be something simple and easy to repair.

I will write after visiting another mechanic.

Thanks for the advice

1 - 19 of 19 Posts