Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what wire size (AWG) the Versys 650 has for turn and tail light?
When I do a search online for wire gauge, I keep coming up with results for gauge clusters, not what I needed. I am getting ready to order some connectors from Eastern Beaver for hooking the Admore lights (turn and running-brake) for my top box. The connectors (3 pole for tail light) are listed as large and small, large being 20-16 AWG, and small being 20-28 AWG. I am guessing the wire size on the bike is about 20 AWG, just wanted to double check with someone who has already done this. The wire size with the Admore light kit looks to be about 22, I am thinking the small size would probably be okay. Thanks.

·
Administrator
8,847 Posts
Does anyone know what wire size (AWG) the Versys 650 has for turn and tail light?
When I do a search online for wire gauge, I keep coming up with results for gauge clusters, not what I needed. I am getting ready to order some connectors from Eastern Beaver for hooking the Admore lights (turn and running-brake) for my top box. The connectors (3 pole for tail light) are listed as large and small, large being 20-16 AWG, and small being 20-28 AWG. I am guessing the wire size on the bike is about 20 AWG, just wanted to double check with someone who has already done this. The wire size with the Admore light kit looks to be about 22, I am thinking the small size would probably be okay. Thanks.
Both signal and tail are 18 gauge . Sounds like you are going with the positap as to Admore, they ship with positap connectors. Also sounds like you have the Admore light kit in hand, every kit from them has shipped with positap connectors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm actually making a wiring harness to hook up the Admore lights, I want to keep it connector-only and not cut and splice at all into the factory harness. I'm an electronics tech and have seen all the problems that can occur by tapping into wiring with splice and squeeze type connectors that cut through the insulation. I looked again at Eastern Beaver's website. The connector I am buying for the taillight is a Sumitmo MT090. The connector size (and pins) itself is actually the same whether you buy the large or small, the only difference is the size of the silicone plug that you use for sealing up the wire. I am going to order extra, large and small, silicone plugs, and extra pins so I can change them around as needed. The turn signal connectors look to be HB050. There is a HC050 but they look smaller than what is on the bike currently. They do come in two colors, orange and blue, so I am going to order a male and female set of each color just to make each turn signal circuit easy to identify. Thanks for the assistance.

·
Administrator
8,847 Posts
Proper Crimper??

I'm actually making a wiring harness to hook up the Admore lights, I want to keep it connector-only and not cut and splice at all into the factory harness. I'm an electronics tech and have seen all the problems that can occur by tapping into wiring with splice and squeeze type connectors that cut through the insulation. I looked again at Eastern Beaver's website. The connector I am buying for the taillight is a Sumitmo MT090. The connector size (and pins) itself is actually the same whether you buy the large or small, the only difference is the size of the silicone plug that you use for sealing up the wire. I am going to order extra, large and small, silicone plugs, and extra pins so I can change them around as needed. The turn signal connectors look to be HB050. There is a HC050 but they look smaller than what is on the bike currently. They do come in two colors, orange and blue, so I am going to order a male and female set of each color just to make each turn signal circuit easy to identify. Thanks for the assistance.
Two links, my preference is cycle terminal and I have several crimpers see my last post, I mention crimper as , unless you make a living at it, it can get expensive, and many have no clue as to a proper crimp. If done properly, the connection will exceed what the wire will carry in current and mechanically . That is , the wire should fail at some place other than the crimp if stretched . Preparation is part of the process, I have had oxidized wire which I scotch brited first before crimping.
What I will describe will be over most peoples understanding, when crimping #8 gauge and larger with a hydraulic crimper such as burndy, a die number will be left on the crimp, this is a indication of a proper crimp, when crimping larger wire sizes there is usually short barrel and long barrel crimps, one hole and two hole, many show two or more crimps required, that die number is important, a failure of a crimp could be costly, try going after Burndy when the wrong die was used or the crimper needed repair because insufficient pressure was used. There are also what are called dieless crimpers . End of story here.Too much detail >:)

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/191-technical-discussion-how-posts-all-models/223215-polaris-install-2020-mk-1-4012941-regulator.html#post1653079

Motorcycle MT .090 Sealed Series - Connector and Terminals
050 Connectors

1 - 5 of 5 Posts