Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my Versys, new, and I’m not sure if it has an assist/slipper clutch. I’ve read through lots of forums and have tried to google specs but found nothing to confirm whether it is equipped or not.
Owners manual makes no reference either.
Just curious as I’m a slightly experienced, novice rider.
Trying to refine and adjust my riding experience.
Thanks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
No slipper clutch on the Versys. That's more of a sport/naked bike thing. Not really necessary on a bike like the Versys.

·
Premium Member
9,253 Posts
First I have a 2015 and installed a slipper clutch from a Ninja 650. There is a thread in this forum.https://www.kawasakiversys.com/threads/slipper-clutch-lighter-clutch-lever-pull-assist-slipper-clutch-gen3-versys-650.222541/#post-1639401

According to this ;Kawasaki Versys 650 Review Test Ride | MotorBeam
The 2016 has a slipper clutch, easy way to tell is to downshift several gears under a controlled environment, good traction on a straightaway , be prepared to pull the clutch in. I do alot of engine braking, with the original clutch I have dropped down too fast and broke traction on the rear. I love the slipper clutch, my understanding is this is standard on all 2016 and newer Versys 650, why make two clutches?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I recently purchased my Versys, new, and I’m not sure if it has an assist/slipper clutch.
Not sure why Kawasaki didn't include it on the Versys, it's the only 650 model in Kawasaki's lineup that they didn't equip with the A/S clutch. It is available on the 1000 though.

·
Premium Member
9,253 Posts
Not sure why Kawasaki didn't include it on the Versys, it's the only 650 model in Kawasaki's lineup that they didn't equip with the A/S clutch. It is available on the 1000 though.
I guess you didn't read my post above. 2016 ABS 650 on has a slipper clutch

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have 2018 Versys 650.
How much I understand that slipper clutch (when I translate from english to my language) that also affect on hard acceleration.
I know to ride hardcore sometimes motorbike and i change gears only on 8000 rpm (after many km on low speed 80km/h or less i ride motorbike really hard 2-3 km)
and when i shift from 4-th gear on 8000 rpm to 5-th gear rpm stay on 8000rpm and very small acceleration, and than boom (i just say boom i don't hear nothing), I have feeling that bike get hard acceleration, like after 1 second of slipping clutch , clutch finally get connected 100% than rpm go down and you get full power again.
Now i have that on brand new motorbike after 6000km normal ride, I try to see how fast I can accelerate with them and that is first time that I see that. shift from 4-5 rpm are same and after 1 second of slipping i get hard acceleration.

Correct me if I am wrong

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
IMHO the 2016 to 2020 Versys 650 do not have a slipper clutch. To verify this, remove the clutch cover. The OEM pressure plate has 5 bolts ... the slipper has 3.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just checked partzilla, you are correct, why that review said otherwise I don't know.
Is there any reason that the slipper clutch for the Ninja or Z 650 wont fit?
With the Yamaha XSR and MT, the slipper clutch is a direct bolt on for the older FZ and FJ09 models.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It is ridiculous that Kawasaki did not fit the slipper clutch to Versys 650. Even Versys 300 has one, without needing it. I fitted in the past Ninja slipper clutch to Vulcan S, so it can be done. But it is not worth the expense. The only benefit is the easier pull on the clutch lever (3 springs). When you downshift, you are supposed to slow the bike down, or rev-matching, anyway.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
You sure did Glen! With this new forum format, it took me a while to locate the thread ... (n)
But ... see my signature: :D
... I just shuffle slower ... :giggle:

·
Premium Member
9,253 Posts
Short answer we don't, something like why do some people need a center stand. Would I change back to the regular clutch-NO , something like the flash, I see a big difference, some feel there is no need on the MK-3. My money my choice.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts