Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but didn't really see anything like this. So sometimes, I'll upshift and then I'll do a little test up pressure and the shift lever will have resistance like it's ready to shift up again. Then sometimes it will just move up freely a few times then lock into place. It seems to happen more often if I shift at higher RPMs, but not 100% sure. I've tried quick snaps up with my foot and quickly dropping it as well as being a bit more deliberate. But the results are mixed.

I'm wondering if it's the magic of the slipper clutch working against me at higher RPMs, or maybe I need to adjust the shift lever? I do have large feet with thick boots, and I try to make sure I lower my foot plenty to let the lever reset but maybe I'm just lowering my foot enough.

Or could there be something else going on? Again, my apologies if this has been asked ad-nauseum but I did try a search. Honest :).

·
Registered
2016 Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
151 Posts
I have size 13's, and when I adjusted the shift lever up a tad, things became perfect..... depending on the mileage, you may want to lube the shifter linkages/pivot as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have size 13's, and when I adjusted the shift lever up a tad, things became perfect..... depending on the mileage, you may want to lube the shifter linkages/pivot as well.
Thanks, I may try that. Do you need to rotate the lever on the spline or does the linkage have adjustment? I will say during my morning ride today I made a point of making sure I lowered my foot as much as possible and when I did that I didn't have the problem so I'm thinking I just wasn't lowering my feet enough. So perhaps raising the lever will help a bit. I wear a size 17, massive feet lol.

·
Registered
2016 Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
151 Posts
You don't have to remove the lever from the spline unless you run out of range on the adjuster link..... raise it up 1/4" and try it. After that experiment some more/tweak.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
In the linking rod, there are two nuts that you need to loosen and then by turning to rod one way or another you change the position of the shifter. You should try clutchless shifting. The 1000 has such a smooth gear box. I clutchless upshift even from 1st to 2nd gear. By the way, the slipper clutch has no relation to your 'problem'.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
In the linking rod, there are two nuts that you need to loosen and then by turning to rod one way or another you change the position of the shifter. You should try clutchless shifting. The 1000 has such a smooth gear box. I clutchless upshift even from 1st to 2nd gear. By the way, the slipper clutch has no relation to your 'problem'.
Thanks! Sorry for not following up, been out of town for work. I'm 100% convinced it's me not lowering my foot enough. I'm about to go adjust the linkage (just hope it's easier to do than the Victory, getting to one of the jamb nuts on that bike is a right pain). I do find that it's really easy to upshift without the clutch on the 1000. It's a very smooth shifting gearbox, when I don't stuff up the technique. I think raising the lever a bit will help tremendously.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
very easy to loosen the nuts. just remember they have opposite threads. so basically, using 10mm wrench, you push both of the nuts in upward direction from where you sit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The 2015 has a slipper clutch?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,306 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Two new more.
How does it work?
Always on, I imagine?

I thought the slipper clutch was on 2019 and later....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks!
I'm dumb!
I was thinking Quick Shifter.
😏[
QUOTE="TowerMan, post: 1682393, member: 3099"]
[/QUOTE]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts