Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, it's good to be back. I've be gone from the forum for a few years. I have owned 2 08 Versys and enjoyed them. I bought one with 1/2 the miles my first Versys had. I thought I would take my after market parts off the higher mileage bike and turn the other bike around. I tried to sell it for about 2 years off and on. I gave up and traded both Versys for a 2016 Ninja 650r. It was and even trade and I have been satisfied with the Ninja. I ride back 2 lane roads and the Ninja handles like it's on a track. One thing I found out is that there are very little after market parts for this year Ninja. The other day while looking at Craigslist I came across a dealer that has a 2015 Versys lt for sale. He will take the Ninja and 1500 trade. The Versys is in show room condition. app. 7000 miles. I rode the Versys and I remember the gearing issues. My question is what where people running for the back sprocket? I remember changing to I believe a 43 tooth, for better shifting and power band. Is this correct? also how do you fgeel about the 2015 is there any issues that I would need to know about?

·
Super Moderator
19,630 Posts
I run the stock OEM sprockets, 15/46, and they work FINE for me, on dirt or pavement, on my '15 650LT as well as on my '08 650.

NOT many issues w/ the '15 Gen 3.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I'll have to agree with Eddie............over two years on the 15' now (12K miles) and no problems of any kind...........well, except for that surprise ice storm I hit the first year of ownership. :(

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I run the factory sprockets. On the highway I'd like a slightly smaller sprocket for lower engine rpms, but on the dirt I'd like a larger sprocket for lower speeds without having to constantly slip the clutch. Maybe I need a bicycle style rear derailleur with 2 different sprockets. ;>) Or, 7 gears in the gearbox to cover both ends of the spectrum.

I may replace the rear sprocket at some point with a slightly smaller one, but maybe not. The stock tooth count is a pretty good compromise. If I never went off pavement I would do the smaller sprocket for sure.

·
Super Moderator
19,630 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
I switched to a 44 rear this year after reading alot of posts here on the topic. I usually need to hit the freeway to get to the roads I like to ride and the freeway here is pretty up-tempo. So, freeway speed at slightly lower revs,a little more clutch in first and a little broader in the upper range of the gears. Slightly less crank the throttle zip but still got lots,hardly noticeable. I may try a 43 rear next or 16F/46R ala Mr. Speedy when i need to replace the front although some here say 16F is a pretty tight fit.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I put on a 43T earlier this year and love it. Three things:
1. It doesn't effect starting on a hill or from a stop or whatever, still easy to get going.
2. You don't feel like you have to shift halfway through an intersection.
3. Now I never look for a gear above 6th. In fact on the backroads riding I do I never even get out of 5th. Probably even better on a freeway. Just a little more relaxed overall. I'm glad I didn't do a 44T because it would be even less of a difference...43T is subtle enough IMHO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts