Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Hoping to tap into everyone's collective knowledge to get some ideas on where to troubleshoot for my trusty traveling companion.

2015 Versys 650LT w/ABS, just hit the magical 50,000 mile mark on friday. Bike has been in my ownership since sometime under 10K, and I had the valves checked/adjusted around 30 or so thousand miles if memory serves me right. Stock exhaust, and I just put new plugs/air filter in about 2000 miles ago.

For about the past 100 ish miles, the bike has developed a noticeable stumble which has me concerned (I have a long trip planned later this summer) and I'm a little unsure as to what/where I should check ?

First noticed it a couple weeks ago coming home from a long trip- I'd been riding pretty continuously for around 12 + hours (rode from Vermont back home to Michigan in one shot) - just after stopping for fuel back in Michigan I was accelerating on the interstate and the bike suddenly surged/stumbled (I was doing between 60 and 70) like it was running out of gas/momentary loss of power. I backed off the throttle, then rolled back onto it, and it seemed to be ok ish.. got me home at least.

The last couple times I've ridden- back and forth to work around town (25 ish miles each way, mostly suburban/minimal freeway) It's also been noticeable. Each time it hesitates, I've been able to bump up the RPM, but I'm not sure if that's just masking the problem or what ? I know the bike is getting older, but even on my trip it feels like I've been having to stay in higher RPMs just to get the same power (but the bike wasn't stumbling till recently).

On the vermont trip, I made a boneheaded move and ran completely out of gas at one point, so my first thought is that it's maybe the fuel pump/garbage in there, or even possibly bad gas ?

Reading the other threads, I'm seeing things like possible issues with the synch of the throttle bodies ? I also thought I read something about the fuel maps/O2 sensor?

Debating about taking the bike into the shop (I have a good mechanic) but I suspect since he's a small place it'll probably be a bit before he gets too it, so in the meantime I'm seeing if there's anything I can try on the short term or if this is just a symptom of the bike getting old and being well used ? (admittedly, I ride it like an ADV bike minus the jumping but have done some water crossings)

Appreciate any and all advice/suggestions

·
Registered
488 Posts
It sounds like the last thing you did before it started was filled it with gas. My first thought would be that you got bad fuel. I’d drain the tank, fill with fresh fuel and maybe add some seafoam, and go from there.

·
Premium Member
11,120 Posts
There is a link posted recently by me for after market fuel pump and filter. Under $100. I would put my money on the pump. There has been much discussion about the fuel pump cooled by the gas. No gas = pump failure. One indication is steady on or above 6000 rpm and trying to accelerate hard, for 1 minute or more, if it stumbles= starving for fuel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts