Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2015 and am wondering if the last bar on the fuel gauge does anything to warn one of impending doom. Does it blink, disappear? Anything?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Not sure on the Gen 3 models but with my 2011 the last bar does start flashing and the word fuel starts flashing on the display.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I would like to assume it does SOMETHING to warn of impending doom, since the version before did (as Jeff said) That being said, I wish the bike got better fuel economy, I get only about 1.5 more mpg than I was getting on a 1203 cc Buell with 40 more hp cruising down the interstate.
I suppose its because the motor is always screaming at speed.

·
Registered
445 Posts
IF you got an owners manual with the bike, it should answer your question. My 2011 came with one from original owner and it has that information. As said above, it starts flashing when low, I think that was telling me there was 0.7 gallons left(don't have manual in front of me). I ran it down that low once and when I filled it, that information seemed correct.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The last bar does begin to blink. I have seen reports of people getting another 50 miles after blinking begins, or filling the tank with 3.5 gallons when the blinking starts. It would seem the 2015 has over a gallon as reserve. I have not tested.
Edit: Manual states 1.5 gallons left when last bar starts blinking.

·
Super Moderator
19,121 Posts
One time I "TRIED" to run my '15 dry (carrying a gallon of gas in a can). I selected RANGE on the computor, and that gave me a 'range-number' till I got down to 50 kms (I assume it will do the same at 30 mi) at which the RANGE 'number' disappeared. I rode (by memory...) OVER 80 kms and STILL did NOT run out, so I still don't know exactly how much gas my '15 will hold.

MOTORCYCLIST magazine reported that "RANGE" is optimistic, while MY experience is that it is definitely PESSIMISTIC...!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Owners manual for 2015 says last bar starts to blink when there is 5.25 litres left in the tank. This appears to be about right, assuming the tank does actually hold the stated 21 litres.

That is, when the blinkies start you still have about 130km left in the tank. I have not tested this, but have done 70km from start of blinkies. I was only able to squeeze 19 litres into the tank at that stage.

Note that the fuel gauge is at one end of the tank. The readout changes depending on whether you are going up or downhill. So too, the blinkies will start earlier or later depending on up or down hill.

I still zero the trip meter when I fill the tank, and use that as a gauge. I know I can get over 400km before I need to think about filling up.

BruceC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts