Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

Premium Member
Manual calls for silicone grease.

Registered
Also, any reason to change out OEM brake pads? If so, which ones and why?
Not really. I tried organic pads because I like them and also thought that they would eliminate the rotor from squealing.

I thought that this fixed it but it did not. After riding, the rotor is quite hot. This is caused by the caliper not coming back after being applied and also (specially) because the rear rotor is a bit warped.

I'll try BayouVersys's "spring fix". However I will eventually rebuild the caliper to see if it enables it to retract enough to realease the rotor. Otherwise I'll seriously consider retrograding to Gen 2 rear brakes.

Registered
EBC double H brake pads. Two fingers on the lever are all it takes on my '07. I also have EBC rotors.
Gen 3 brakes very well. That's not the problem. The problem is with noisy rear brake discs.

Registered
I'll try BayouVersys's "spring fix".
give it a shot, takes about 10 minutes to install (depending on skill level). I was only looking for piston retract 1mm more to shut it up.

Disclaimer: The results achieved by this mod are not guaranteed as a 100% fix, individual results may vary based on spring choice and other factors completely out of my control (laugh...this disclaimer is a joke for all you serious people)

Registered
give it a shot, takes about 10 minutes to install (depending on skill level). I was only looking for piston retract 1mm more to shut it up.

Disclaimer: The results achieved by this mod are not guaranteed as a 100% fix, individual results may vary based on spring choice and other factors completely out of my control (laugh...this disclaimer is a joke for all you serious people)
I certainly will. Your suggested springs are on order. I know that this is a band-aid fix, but if it works, who am I to question it?
Thanks! :)

Registered
Did you ever install?
I have the springs but have been sidetracked by other projects, etc.
As soon as I install them, I'll let you know.
So far mine has been silent.
That's good! :thumb:

Did you touch the rear rotor after riding to see if it was hot? My rear brake does not squeal that much but the rotor gets hot after riding.

Thanks!

Registered
Yes, it's not as hot as it was. What you would expect normally, some heat but not abnormally hot.

Registered
My 2015 made the exact same sound as in the video. I didn't worry about it too much because I know brakes drag a little and I didn't think the disc was warped because the pedal felt totally normal. I also figured since I don't use the rear brake very much (although I'm using it more on the Versys than I ever have on prior bikes, due to the long-travel forks) it was taking a long time to bed-in the pads. After about 1500 miles, I cleaned both sides of the disc with Acetone (I prefer that over brake cleaner) and the noise went away and hasn't returned. Yet. Fingers crossed.

Registered
My 2015 made the exact same sound as in the video. I didn't worry about it too much because I know brakes drag a little and I didn't think the disc was warped because the pedal felt totally normal. I also figured since I don't use the rear brake very much (although I'm using it more on the Versys than I ever have on prior bikes, due to the long-travel forks) it was taking a long time to bed-in the pads. After about 1500 miles, I cleaned both sides of the disc with Acetone (I prefer that over brake cleaner) and the noise went away and hasn't returned. Yet. Fingers crossed.
That's good.
See post 25 in this thread. Mine is a bit warped (almost to the limit).

Registered
Did you ever install? So far mine has been silent.
Yes I have. They still squeal a bit but do not stick anymore! I'll fix the squealing this winter. :D

Yes, it's not as hot as it was. What you would expect normally, some heat but not abnormally hot.
Same here! Thanks for the simple "band-aid" solution. It works! :thumb:

Registered
Now at about 1900 miles, it's back. Worse when cold, and I can now hear it at low speeds, not just pushing it around the garage. Still can't feel anything in the pedal, though. I don't have a run-out gauge, so may be I'll get the dealer on the case.

Registered
Now at about 1900 miles, it's back. Worse when cold, and I can now hear it at low speeds, not just pushing it around the garage. Still can't feel anything in the pedal, though. I don't have a run-out gauge, so may be I'll get the dealer on the case.
So ... what did the dealer say or do?

Super Moderator
Keep a REALLY good eye on your rear brake pads. MINE on the '15 were worn-out before 20K kms (12K miles), while the ones on my '08, (at 65K MILES!) are STILL good. So it AIN'T caused by my riding...!

:surprise:

Registered

Registered
IAMRA

Thanks for passing on the brake rotor bobbins tip.

At 350 km +/-, I was intrigued by the rear disc dragging sound. This morning I decided to look at it more closely.

Runout on the rear disc goes from anywhere from .0000 in. to .0050 at one location. Most of it is between .0000 to .0003, with one location at .0050. This is within the acceptable standard, but close to the .0059 in. limit.

Many times, when I check a fastener on my Versys, it is either over torqued with permanent type lock-tite, or it is bone dry (i.e.: rear axle, etc.). I therefore had to check the rear caliper assembly.
It was immediately clear that the caliper holder bolt, and the rear caliper holder pin were bone dry.

I cleaned these up before applying Permatex Synthetic Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube to the above and to the dust boot & friction boot.

The pads didn鈥檛 show any evidence of wearing more on one side or the other. They are, after all, brand new.

I could very easily push back the piston into the caliper with my thumbs. I assume that it is functioning properly.

After reassembling the caliper assembly onto the wheel, I went around the block to see if the dragging disappeared. It did for about 100 feet. :(

Oh well, I鈥檒l try a set of organic pads soon. It will be easier on the disc but am not 100% confident that this issue will go away. The disc is warped just enough to be within standard, but also just enough to drag and make intermittent noise.
Hello,

Could one of the mods take the following pics and insert them into post 25 in order to replace each of the pics have been "stamped" by Photobucket?

Thank you

41 - 60 of 65 Posts