Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read this modification to the stock windscreen on ADVRIDER.COM and was curious as to whether any of you have tried it? I've not gone out to look at the set-up, but these instructions are a little confusing. Any clarification would be appreciated.

JH in OH

Some have tried, myself included, raising the stock screen so the top-most stop is actually above the windscreen bracket (you'll need to loosen the adjustment knobs almost all the way,
and be mindful to keep the shims/washers in place, you'll see em).
The screen is plenty stable in this position and quiets things considerably for me around my helmet. Not perfect, but better.
It also allows slightly more air under the screen to benefit venting in the heat but not enough to ruin the protection in colder weather.
I run mine this way now and it's free

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just read this on ADVRIDER.COM and curious as to whether any of you have tried this? I've not gone out to look at the set-up, but these instructions are a little confusing. Any clarification would be appreciated.

JH in OH

MLJ said: ↑
Has anyone tried any of the aftermarket replacement windshields available? I have a 2015 Versys 650 LT, and love the bike, but would like it better with a taller shield, and would like to keep the handguards, which seem to interfere with a larger (wider) shield. I found one that was made by a company called Piug, (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-touring-windscreen-kawasaki-versys-6501000-2015), and after reading the reviews one person said his hand guards bump into the larger fairing at full lock. I did some measuring and can see how this would happen. There are 2 other options I could find, one made by Givi, that says it is designed for the 650 LT, therefore I would hope they realize the problem with the wide fairing bumping into the handguards at full lock, and another one is the MRA VarioTouringScreen For Kawasaki Versys 650 LT & ABS '15-'16 & Versys 1000 LT '15-'16, it looks like it should work, but is more expensive. Sorry if this is already talked about in the thread, but it is getting really long, although I did try to search on the thread.

Some have tried, myself included, raising the stock screen so the top-most stop is actually above the windscreen bracket (you'll need to loosen the adjustment knobs almost all the way,
and be mindful to keep the shims/washers in place, you'll see em).
The screen is plenty stable in this position and quiets things considerably for me around my helmet. Not perfect, but better.
It also allows slightly more air under the screen to benefit venting in the heat but not enough to ruin the protection in colder weather.
I run mine this way now and it's free
I saw that comment on Revzilla. I can't speak for the 650, but I have a 2017 V1000 and installed that same screen, Puig 5999. No obstruction at any height adjustment at full lock.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been a while, but I was able to test out the stock windshield w/ the top stop above the bracket - a good 1 1/2" higher than the highest stock position. It's been extremely windy here in NE OH & making it hard to evaluate properly, but there is a definite noise reduction. The 1st time I tried it at the lowest setting w/ the modification & noticed my face shield was pretty buggy when I got back. The next time I raised it as high as it could go, again w/ the modification which raised the screen another inch or so. Also very windy, but things seemed a little bit quieter & when I got back noticed bugs on my helmet from the top of my face, but none on the shield itself. It's forecast to be 84 here today, so I'll get a chance to evaluate warm weather riding w/ the mod. The increased gap at the bottom of the screen doesn't seem to be a problem, though I really don't care for the "look".

·
Registered
308 Posts
I tried it before I bought a taller screen-but when I measured I got 1" higher-still worth a try

·
Super Moderator
19,412 Posts
As the Gen 3 650s use the same wind-shield as the 1000s, here's MY take:

I am about 5' 10" w/ a 31" inseam, and have a Puig 5999 which (apparently) was causing me to have a sore neck from tilting my head to look OVER it, set at its lowest, so I re-installed the OEM a few weeks before my recent 25 day cross-Canada ride, set at its HIGHEST setting, but NOT over the top of the mount.

My 'sore-neck' went away, so I did the ride w/ the OEM shield set that way, and over 13,950 kms (8,668 miles) w/ LOTS of rain, etc - it worked just FINE! My helmet had bugs MOSTLY above the shield, there was NO buffeting, so IF anyone's interested in a 'dark-smoke' PUIG 5999, send me a PM. Fits BOTH the 650 and the 1000.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts