Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's an odd one for you guys, I have 2014 versys, I filled the tank up with fresh gas and stabilizer at the end of last season. I just finished out that tank and now the gas cap appear to be tuck shut, it was a touch stiff before but moved easily enough, now I can't get it to budge. I've tried pushing down and turning to the point that I can feel the key start to flex, and idea on how to get this thing unstuck?

·
Super Moderator
16,056 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
+1 for the non locking cap. Every time I had to unlock my stock cap on my 09 I was afraid of snapping that key off.

Maybe get a copy of your key made from a steel blank and give it a shot.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Yeah just unbolt it from the tank, then you'll see if you can fix it... If not, you could then replace it.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I may be wrong....again, but I thought that locking tabs would remain locked into the tank neck even if the outer ring screws are removed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine was kinda sticky from sitting a lot when I bought it last year. I had a can of liquid wrench lock lubricant/de-icer sitting on my shelf and spraying some of that into the keyhole freed it up smoothly and it's still good. I love the stuff. I had a door lock cylinder completely seize on my work crown vic and spraying that stuff in there actually freed it up. I've had good luck with it when it comes to lock cylinders of all types.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The metal that Kaw uses for the cap is crap, I use a wire brush to clean off the corrosion the oil it with 90wt gear oil very often
My cap was stuck closed at one time , and I bent a key trying to open it, but it finally gave in and opened
I place a rag over the tank opening wile cleaning and oiling and I oil the clamps and housing under the lid

·
Super Moderator
18,822 Posts
The cap on my '08 got very stiff last winter. I sprayed some graphite into it, then followed that w/ a GOOD squirt of WD40. Opened EASILY then, so I blew compressed air thru the OPENED cap keyhole, blowing the extra 'stuff' out.

Worked fine after that.

·
Super Moderator
16,056 Posts
I may be wrong....again, but I thought that locking tabs would remain locked into the tank neck even if the outer ring screws are removed.

I believe your right. If i remember correctly when i was taking mine off the 09 V-650 i had to use the key even after taking all the bolts off the gas cap assy...

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I believe your right. If i remember correctly when i was taking mine off the 09 V-650 i had to use the key even after taking all the bolts off the gas cap assy...
Yep...have my oem sitting on my workbench, and if you can't turn the key you are in a bad spot. The locking tabs are in to the filler neck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That is weird. My 15 650 lt is corroding very bad as well. Bike has never seen rain and is stored in a heated garage year round. 93 octane and stabilizer as well. Wonder what it is

1 - 20 of 20 Posts