Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My saddlebags are scratched up. I read somewhere that you could just replace the plastic inserts, the part with the color, but I had no luck finding such a thing.

My other option possibly is to disassemble and paint them.

Any suggestions? What would be my best option? I just want to sell this but those scratches take off about $1000 on the asking price I'm guessing.
Has anyone ever seen the inserts for sale (please provide the link/company)?
Has anyone ever painted these?

thanks,

Joel

·
Registered
132 Posts
Although I could find replacements (not painted, like the original), I recently painted the inserts in my SH49 topcase.

One side had deep scratches in the plastic... Not having any plastic filler at hand, I used the superglue/baking soda method to fill them... Sand down and 5 light coats of "paint" later (1 primer + 2 paint + 2 satin varnish), I think the result ended up pretty good...

Plant Tire Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Flowerpot

·
Registered
'17 Versys 650
15 Posts
My saddlebags are scratched up. I read somewhere that you could just replace the plastic inserts, the part with the color, but I had no luck finding such a thing.

My other option possibly is to disassemble and paint them.

Any suggestions? What would be my best option? I just want to sell this but those scratches take off about $1000 on the asking price I'm guessing.
Has anyone ever seen the inserts for sale (please provide the link/company)?
Has anyone ever painted these?

thanks,

Joel
No experience with this company, just found them in a google search. Looks like they're selling trim panels for various model years:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Although I could find replacements (not painted, like the original), I recently painted the inserts in my SH49 topcase.

One side had deep scratches in the plastic... Not having any plastic filler at hand, I used the superglue/baking soda method to fill them... Sand down and 5 light coats of "paint" later (1 primer + 2 paint + 2 satin varnish), I think the result ended up pretty good...

View attachment 188807
Great Job :)

·
Registered
997 Posts
For the panels its easy to do with a rattle can. In general, if you paint a glossy finish its harder to do a factory job with a rattle can. Also the darker the color with a gloss finish is harder to hide the imperfectios without a real sprayer. But if you stick to matte type finishes its easy to do a decent job with panels. Ive painted mine a few times over 5 years and as as the rest of the bike gets marked or banged Ive kept going...
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts