Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my wife is finally done with nursing school and we are back to two incomes. So now I get to treat myself to a new bike, I wisely chose the Versys.

Thing is, its September now and I live in Michigan (Detroit suburbs). So I'm not sure how long I'll be able to ride. Plus, I will be financing at least part of this bike so I'll have to have full coverage throughout the winter. I can tolerate these negatives financially, but the urge to ride is strong!!

How late in the year do you guys ride? Would it be wise to wait for 2014? Does Kawi even release the new models in (northern) spring time? And if you don't see snow all year, go to hell, since I know you'll rub it in anyway... bastards!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I'd wait to learn what upgrades, if any, come along with the 2014 model. If its only available color choices like its been since the 2010 models then I'd start shopping for a new leftover 2010-2013 Versys at a bargain basement wintertime price.

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts
I'd wait to learn what upgrades, if any, come along with the 2014 model. If its only available color choices like its been since the 2010 models then I'd start shopping for a new leftover 2010-2013 Versys at a bargain basement wintertime price.
+1

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
+1 :thumb:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Michigan is my home state, but I live in Texas now. With the right gear, I can ride all year round now, but when I was a kid, the climate up there MIGHT have allowed 4 months of riding. I hear it's warmer longer up there now. I wonder how long that will last. It was always funny to watch the guys that bought Camaros as their primary vehicle slip/slide around in the snow. :)

·
Registered
688 Posts
i'd wait to learn what upgrades, if any, come along with the 2014 model. If its only available color choices like its been since the 2010 models then i'd start shopping for a new leftover 2010-2013 versys at a bargain basement wintertime price.
+3 :d

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Michigan is my home state, but I live in Texas now. With the right gear, I can ride all year round now, but when I was a kid, the climate up there MIGHT have allowed 4 months of riding. I hear it's warmer longer up there now. I wonder how long that will last. It was always funny to watch the guys that bought Camaros as their primary vehicle slip/slide around in the snow. :)
Winters here have been much milder the last few years. You can easily ride April - October, wearing the right gear. Last year I don't think we even saw our first snow fall until almost December.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Buy old stock and ride it until the salt fly's.

·
Super Moderator
19,152 Posts
...How late in the year do you guys ride?...And if you don't see snow all year, go to hell, since I know you'll rub it in anyway... bastards!
Come ON...! I NEVER ride on Christmas Day...:stickpoke:. My wife and I START the morning w/ eggs benedict AND champagne, so it's "shanks-mares" for all day.:goodidea:

BUT I DO ride on the 26th....;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Houston, Texas reporting in. Snow . . . I think I saw that in a movie once! Which translates in to "you can (generally) ride during winter months here." However, summer can be brutal! For me, my summer rides usually begin at day break and have me pulling back in to the driveway around 11 am. Otherwise, it's just too hot. I'm talking "it can hurt ya" hot! And to me . . . that ain't fun!

Regarding when to buy. What the heck . . . be on the look out NOW for that "super-extra-great deal." If it comes along, pull the trigger. If not . . . you'll have the newer model to consider!

And, congrats to the wife!!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Living in CT, the weather is all over the place. Just watch the news, and you will see what I mean, but since I have had my '08, I have ridden until late November. Last year I think I actually went out on Thanksgiving day with my son on his restored CX500 Custom.

·
Registered
50 Posts
this should help..
not that we need any more yankee types down here. but if you get a versys we could let you slip in without to much fuss.. ride all year .. down here it aint the snow that's dangerous. its the people that have move down here to get away from it..

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
+1 on finding a new leftover model. I got an '09 in Sept of 2010. I was able to ride for 2 months and over 1000kms for the break-in before I had to store the bike for Winter. The one year old left-over was brand new but was discounted by $2400 to make room for new models.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Versys with ABS! same as non-abs $7999 at their website.

·
Registered
73 Posts
How late in the year do you guys ride? Would it be wise to wait for 2014? Does Kawi even release the new models in (northern) spring time? And if you don't see snow all year, go to hell, since I know you'll rub it in anyway... bastards!
Year round here. And I live in Canada! :stickpoke: :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Here in DFW area they always offer some great deals on previous year models. Check Grapevine Kawasaki and talk to Brandon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts