Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trusted Versys of the last 7 years has finally issued some warning signs. The stator seems to have fried and I'm here to look for suggestions on which year stators are appropriate. I've read that they changed around 2012 and that the uninsulated copper coils are better at dissipating heat, although later models may require me to adapt the connection. Any user experience or input with this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I'm interested in doing the Voltage Regulator conversion to the Polaris 4012941 so as to prevent this from happening again. Any specifics that experienced members have are appreciated, since this is a new frontier for me.

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
My trusted Versys of the last 7 years has finally issued some warning signs. The stator seems to have fried and I'm here to look for suggestions on which year stators are appropriate. I've read that they changed around 2012 and that the uninsulated copper coils are better at dissipating heat, although later models may require me to adapt the connection. Any user experience or input with this?
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/74-how-forum/16774-burnt-stator-versys-650-stator-testing.html

Page #7 , my post #241, note one stator is OEM Delta and one is the China Y connected Stator, be aware they cheated, they should have wound the China Y connected with 15 gauge wire, instead they used the same 18 gauge as the Delta, HUGE difference Delta we have approximately 13 amp carried on TWO 18 gauge wires ( Delta ) The China Y we have a single 18 gauge wire carrying 13 amp, it will output 330 watts, however expect it to burn up, unless you convert to a series regulator. I explain this else ware.
See on page #8 post #315 is the connection side of a encapsulated modern stator, I say modern because some vendors to Kawasaki had what is in post #317 which shows the crossover connections, for detail, 18 poles , 6 poles per phase, 6 crossover connections per phase and a start and finish for each phase that makes up the Delta connection. Early stator failure was due to crossover to phase shorts, usually at the 3 phase lead out connection.
A excellent example of having all the connections on one side, page 12 post #464 and #468

Another thread showing the old way of crossover connections https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/74-how-forum/132250-12-2016-stator-failure-posts-posts-related-those-converted-series-regulator.html See post 42, the second stator down is a example of a modern delta wound with the pole crossover connections on the back side of the stator . Note also that is machine wound, note how uniform and tight the winding is. many do not realize that the rotating magnetic field tries to push and pull the magnet wire, compound that with the rapid increase and decrese in watts disipated by the shunt regulator producing expansion and contraction of the laminations and copper wire.

KLR stator is the same as the Versys, also the Ninja 650.
I have had several people use ElectroSport which is a machine wound Delta Connected stator. Be very careful to pay close attention to the connections #464 and #468 are excellent photos, except that

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stator troubles, r/r replacement

Thank you @Fastoman and @onewizard for the quick replies and all the information. I'll be looking today through all of the links provided and if the wiring adjustments from the triumph wiring harness to prevent battery drain aren't too complicated, I'll probably be making the conversion. Hoping to get parts ordered today.

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
Headlight Relay Drain / Trigger Option

Thank you @Fastoman and @onewizard for the quick replies and all the information. I'll be looking today through all of the links provided and if the wiring adjustments from the triumph wiring harness to prevent battery drain aren't too complicated, I'll probably be making the conversion. Hoping to get parts ordered today.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/13-member-only-group-rides-other-topics/221593-stator-testing-loading-polaris-4012941-4016868-discussion-thread.html This link go to post #9, several trigger options. A word of caution on ordering, strictly the Polaris 4012941. I copied a old thread from How To Forum, as many photos have vanished since PhotoBuckets , go to post #15 and the 4012941 and SH775BA should both appear on the end of any legitimate Polaris regulator, if it isn't in the photo , then it isn't a legitimate Polaris ( I say in the photo as in buying from Ebay or any dealer, they describe you are getting what is in the picture )
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/13-member-only-group-rides-other-topics/222367-regulator-series-shunt-star-delta-explained-technical-info-2017-a.html post #15 of this thread has a photo

FYI @Syserv it appears you are up on posting, I had to ask IT how mentions work, now that I understand , many others are following suit. Thanks for joining, it is never my intention to pull members from a different forum, however I think you will see that I have hundreds of hours posted in relation to our charging system and related technical advice, copying that to another forum just isn't in my time frame anymore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm looking forward to checking out those photos. I completely understand the forum transition and reasons behind that. It's funny, I had actually joined here first, but decided to contact via the other forum not realizing that the information is coming from the same source, and initially not realizing that the new member posting and waiting period are what was preventing me from accessing info here. Just glad to have the info. Thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
Other Forum

I'm looking forward to checking out those photos. I completely understand the forum transition and reasons behind that. It's funny, I had actually joined here first, but decided to contact via the other forum not realizing that the information is coming from the same source, and initially not realizing that the new member posting and waiting period are what was preventing me from accessing info here. Just glad to have the info. Thanks! :)
One thing I forgot to mention, and it is extremely important, the stator plug, I know you are replacing the stator, make sure the 3 phase plug is perfect and use dielectric grease on the new one, one option a few are doing is connecting the 3 phase wires directly to the triumph harness, this eleiminates a connection,be aware each pin at maximum output carries 13 amp, several have had stator failure and regulator failure caused by this plug having 1 bad pin= single phase condition or up to 24 amp on the remaining pins and regulator, yes failure occurs within a hour.

I can talk about it here, if you search you will see a posting about stator failure and the solution using a series regulator, at the time several of us were on that forum, including @invader who really started the series regulator ball rolling. I and a few others including @Smiley got into a confrontation with a member that is friends with the owner of the site, short story I and a few others got kicked off, I had a few UK friends that went to bat and called the copy right infringement a hoax and got me reinstated , however I had to change my user name from onewizard. In the end it left a bitter taste in my mouth, so every month or two I visit the site and see if someone has electrical trouble that I can help with, and that is the limit of my input to that site. Response on that site is months instead of hours like on this site. Many of the problems on that site gave me cause to come up with solutions when I became a mod on this site. This site has a extremely large and well informed owner VerticalScope which owns many forums like this, also there are multiple mods on this forum, we converse with each other, so I can say that at times I have been harsh and called out for that and even moderated myself lately. Enjoy this forum, motorcyclists helping the same, if not for this forum, I would have sold my 2007 Versys, the same goes for my now 2015, wouldn't have purchased it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts