Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh yes, after 17,000 km it has started. The dreaded buzzing rattle is here. I had checked my coolant levels and taken off the semi faring thingey on the right, and it does seem to be coming from that side - but I have checked and can't nail it.

I know others have posted threads on earlier models but anyone here had this issue with 2012/2013 650?

·
Registered
805 Posts
my 2013 started buzzing almost from day 1, and it was coming from the instrument cluster. I was able to eliminate it by taking the gasket out of a 5 gallon bucket and cutting a length and stuffing it in the gap between the gauge and housing. cost me nothing to do and required no disassembly. over time the gasket has pushed out a bit and I have had to re-stuff it in there, but it works. I will eventually take it apart and fix it properly, but for now it works just fine. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My 2012 seems to be just starting to (at 9000kms) have a little buzz or rattle coming from the gauge cluster , not really bothering me too much if it doesn't get worse.

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
I bought my 2012 V with 18,400km. the buzz was there. took the instrument cluster out and stuck some thick weather seal foam behind and it, now does not rattle or buzz.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I removed EVERYTHING that my '09 does not need to actually run and ride. Every body panel was removed one at a time and the bike ridden to discover which was the culprit. Answer: None of the above. No single piece was causing the buzzing alone. I suspect the resonance caused by the mass of the exhaust system to be the main source. Its a very specific, cheap sound at 4000 to 4700 RPM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guys, buzzing comes when you install hand guards as well. I solved this buzz by sticking rubber between the parts so it is not metal on metal, however I still get other kinds of buzzes...:right:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all - sorry haven't responded sooner, a little bit busy.

Ok, it sounds like (sorry - no pun intended) the instrument panel is one of the most likely culprits. Will see if I can get to it this weekend. Regarding handguards, the buzzing on my bike started at least three thousand K after I installed mine. But if all else fails will look at that too.

Thank you everybody for your help and suggestions.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've had the buzz from new (2013 model) Only really at low speeds. I put a small length of vacuum pipe between the clocks and the fairing. No buzz any more.

·
Registered
399 Posts
LOL

This bike buzzes like no other. Get over it... Hahaha. I've tried everything. Spent hours trying to fix it. Nothing has helped... :(

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so today I had a bit of time to look at the bike closely for the buzzes as I had replace the battery which died overnight (after only 19,000km? sheesh). I gotta say I found buzzes everywhere. I even found a fine white powder around the tail light where the plastic fitting has been slowly pulverized. Then not so much in the clocks but on the side fairings, even the plate under the seat. The bash plate I installed vibrates like crazy but doesn't seem to buzz, nor the radiator guard.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with the tail light, and will probably have to schedule a full day just to pull everything external off the bike and refit, might rope my mechanic buddy into helping me. Gawd there's a lot of plastic bits on these things!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yesterday took all the plastic off the front, and found the white powder stuff around the headlights at crucial places. so put double sided tape (only took one side of the covering off to leave the other side as the padding) and basically taped all the surfaces that had potential contact with the headlight housing/covering, also around the clocks housing. Bingo - no more buzz!! What a joy to ride with only the sound of the engine!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2013 has been buzzing since day 1 as well. Four weeks ago I pulled the front plastic off the front end and installed self-adhesive weather stripping to the upper and lower outer edges of the instrument cluster (stuck them on this time as the test pieces lasted about a kilometer). Nothing. If anything, the buzz now seems worse. I'm convinced it's in the cluster because if I hold it in the center when riding, it stops. Has anyone pulled the cluster apart to see if anything inside would/could contribute to the buzz?

·
Registered
22 Posts
On my 09 it was very apparent where my fairings were vibrating after riding in the rain long enough I had white milky looking residue at a number of locations from material wearing away. This motivated me to get some sticky backed thin felt and I stuck it at the mating areas of the fairings and used some thick sticky neoprene down where the fairing wrap around the head light as that was clearly a primary contact point at the proper resonance on my bike and I think was the loud one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My 2010 buzzed @ ~4500. Culprit was that thin shroud around the headlight. Easy 20 min fix with 3m tape on the 4 points of contact.

·
Super Moderator
19,774 Posts
...Has anyone pulled the cluster apart to see if anything inside would/could contribute to the buzz?
Someone posted up pics of doing exactly that. Try "Search" to find it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts