Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
I easily ride harder than most people here, so that's my assumption for why the oil went out quicker, besides the weather. Me and my dad are going to take the engine apart and inspect the internals soon. I never really ranlow on oil, I had no leaks. So unless the bike is eating just a bit as well, I'm not sure.
If it is a spun main bearing, my bet would be that detonation was occurring, which lead to pre-ignition. No oil can protect from that, it is like a 2T hammer being dropped on the piston as it is rising.

Check the spark plugs for melted deposits (which often look like tiny black glass beads), melted ground electrodes, or even melted aluminum from the piston.

·
Super Moderator
19,152 Posts
...(Whole bracket broke coming down off a wheelie, too lazy to replace that.)....
I've read (over the years) that you can end up w/ oil-starvation during LONG wheelies. Might be your issue?

MOST places it's illegal to run w/out a horn....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I've read (over the years) that you can end up w/ oil-starvation during LONG wheelies. Might be your issue?

MOST places it's illegal to run w/out a horn....
I wish I could do long wheelies tbh. Most I've ever done so far has been across a parking lot. I haven't found balance point yet. If I need to I intend to put an oil pump mod that way the bike can grab oil from the rear of the engine when it's up in a wheelie. I never had issues when I was doing wheelies before my first wreck. Engine should be fine.

I know its may be illegal to run without a horn, but I still have the OEM one I can wire up if needed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Update once again: So it turns out that uh, the engine will require a rebuild. I can confirm that a rod bearing was spun, simply by checking the oil pan. Dad wanted to run a compression test, but once we checked the oil filter and pan, we knew it was time to tear it apart. This is actually going to be rather fun imo, and I'll keep everyone updated if that's okay.

This is the bike currently. Engine still needs to be pulled. Pictures below the bike show that the oil filter is glittery (The oil out of the filter was also glittery), all the metal shavings in the oil pan, and then my oil pan is apparently cracked.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If it is a spun main bearing, my bet would be that detonation was occurring, which lead to pre-ignition. No oil can protect from that, it is like a 2T hammer being dropped on the piston as it is rising.

Check the spark plugs for melted deposits (which often look like tiny black glass beads), melted ground electrodes, or even melted aluminum from the piston.
Spark plugs looked absolutely fine. I have no idea what the internals look like yet because my dad wants to put his Polaris RZR back together before we get to working on my bike. His RZR should be back together by the end of this week.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts