Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched through the forum and the web but I can not find any help to fixing my V.

The first trouble I had was the bike started to idle low and die at lights, I drained the fuel and filled with fresh fuel, Then it struggled to start and would lag and back fire on initial ride after swapping fuel. I looked at the filter and it was in horrible shape, so I replaced the air filter and cleaned the airbox, still no luck would not start and when it did would not idle and would backfire horribly, next I replaced the spark plugs. Still no luck, does not want to start and if it does it lags and backfires. The auto parts store I got the spark plugs sold me a "compatible" set but not the specific part number so I am thinking about replacing the new set with an OEM and trying again.

Any recommendations are truly appreciated, even if its showing me the post I missed!

·
Registered
373 Posts
when were the valves set last?

maybe check the fuel pressure and flow check the injectors

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What maintenance did your Versys get in almost 9 years since we even heard from you...? Which spark plug brand and number did you get, and what mileage are you at now?
I kept up with oil changes, tires, chain maintenance etc. The bike was garaged for a while as my life did not allow for much riding, which is probably why i forgot about the air filter and why it deteriorated so badly. I bought E3 spark plugs and the bike has 22k miles, most of which was put on the first four years when it was my daily commuter.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I kept up with oil changes, tires, chain maintenance etc. The bike was garaged for a while as my life did not allow for much riding, which is probably why i forgot about the air filter and why it deteriorated so badly. I bought E3 spark plugs and the bike has 22k miles, most of which was put on the first four years when it was my daily commuter.
Which E3 spark plugs did you get? :oops: I know your problems started before, but what you need are proper NGK CR9EIA-9 (or Denso IU27) spark plugs... Fuel system likely suffered from sitting for too long under ethanol gasoline phase separation, leading to corrosion and contamination. Have you checked your IAP sensor hose and rubber vacuum caps on front of throttle bodies?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which E3 spark plugs did you get? :oops: I know your problems started before, but what you need are proper NGK CR9EIA-9 (or Denso IU27) spark plugs... Fuel system likely suffered from sitting for too long under ethanol gasoline phase separation, leading to corrosion and contamination. Have you checked your IAP sensor hose and rubber vacuum caps on front of throttle bodies?
I suspected bad fuel as well, and drained and refueled the tank and hoped running it with some seafoam would have helped. I have new spark plugs on order (covid has me stuck at home for a while). I bought E3 powersport that on the package stated replaced NGK CR9E.... I took the auto parts clerk word they would work, but I do have doubts now.. I will look into the sensor hose and rubber vacuum caps as well. Really appreciate the help, not much on the youtube for this bike

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
MK3 Versys 650
52 Posts
If there was water in the fuel filter will be soaked in it, just draining the tank and filling it up again will not get water out of the filter. You need to take the fuel pump out, backflush the fuel filter and clean the fuel pump. I've had to do it twice on my Versys, the second time I did it in the parking lot of a KFC (fortunately the tank was almost empty).

·
Registered
2011 Versys 650 and 2001 Bonneville 790
32 Posts
If the bike sat for quite some time (months / years), it's possible the fuel injector orifices have become slightly clogged and the extremely fine spray pattern has been compromised. Add a good fuel injector cleaner such as Redline S-1 or Gumout fuel system cleaner that contains PEA (PolyetherAmine). Because you state that the engine backfires "horribly", it sounds like it is running very lean (this happened to my brand new 280Z 40+ years ago). A thorough fuel injector orifice cleaning would clear this up if that is the problem. Just a thought. Good luck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the bike sat for quite some time (months / years), it's possible the fuel injector orifices have become slightly clogged and the extremely fine spray pattern has been compromised. Add a good fuel injector cleaner such as Redline S-1 or Gumout fuel system cleaner that contains PEA (PolyetherAmine). Because you state that the engine backfires "horribly", it sounds like it is running very lean (this happened to my brand new 280Z 40+ years ago). A thorough fuel injector orifice cleaning would clear this up if that is the problem. Just a thought. Good luck.
Thanks for the help, and sorry for the late response, covid had me down for a while and just now getting back to working on this bike do you think that is ok to add after adding Seafoam? Got it started today. Replaced the spark plugs again with the OEM one, replaced the 5/32 hose as recommended. Still not wanting to start and after i got it started it would not stay on and it was difficult to get it to throttle up. Every once in a while it would rev up but then drop down. Also noticed the exhaust got really hot to the point it started smoking. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
20,744 Posts
...Also noticed the exhaust got really hot to the point it started smoking. Any thoughts?...
I had something similar way back in the early '60s (Triumph 650). The exhaust pipe got glowing red-hot. I think a valve was sticking, but it never happened again, so who knows...?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts